• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n00b dumb questions Part 5

26 posts in this topic

That thread will just make you lose IQ points.

It's an A-quality full page splash from a much-loved series that is heavily collected by a few BSDs. Frank Miller art is generally expensive and a lot of his DKR work is in the hands of a few collectors. A bidding war ensues and you have a half-million dollar page.

Wow. And I bet somewhere down the line someone bought it for a few hundred bucks. What's a BSD?

That thread will just make you lose IQ points.

It's an A-quality full page splash from a much-loved series that is heavily collected by a few BSDs. Frank Miller art is generally expensive and a lot of his DKR work is in the hands of a few collectors. A bidding war ensues and you have a half-million dollar page.

Wow. And I bet somewhere down the line someone bought it for a few hundred bucks. What's a BSD?

BSD = Big Swingin' D*ck! lol

I have a question about normal practices for artist reps.

I spoke with two different reps about commissions for two different, prominent artists. Both artist have long lines and are in high demand.

Rep #1: The wait time would be 4+ months and he wanted payment in full before the clock even starts ticking. He won't even accept a good faith partial payment.

Rep #2: Also a long wait, but then you don't pay anything until you're next.

Is Rep #1 unreasonable, or is Rep #2 just going the extra mile to take care of people? What is the norm?

There isn't a norm, and I'd say both are being at least somewhat unreasonable. The commission game is sort of a battle between you and the artist. If you pay up front, you lose what little bargaining power you had. I paid Bill Sienkiewicz in full up front, and wound up waiting 18 months for my commission. Maybe doing a partial payment up front is cool, but expecting the whole thing before you've seen the art is not fair.