• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n00b dumb questions Part 5

26 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to expand my hobby into the world of original comic art. dmgcsr has helped me out with some basic questions a couple of times, but I'm no doubt going to continue to have questions. I figured instead of PMing him with every single question I'll just annoy the entire room instead. :insane:

First question: What is a "Character Design" sketch (as from link below)? I know Ed McGuinness didn't actually create Doc Oc, so is this just something artists do for themselves to help them with their own work?

http://www.graphiccollectibles.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=14755

Next question: What is "Pin Up" art (again, link below)? Does it have some significance beyond being a nice picture to hang on your wall? This is one I'm interested in bidding on, but I have no idea what a fair price would be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130677427600?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for any help. As questions arise I'll just post them in this thread so I'm not spamming the room.

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to expand my hobby into the world of original comic art. dmgcsr has helped me out with some basic questions a couple of times, but I'm no doubt going to continue to have questions. I figured instead of PMing him with every single question I'll just annoy the entire room instead. :insane:

Good plan.

Now IF ONLY we could get the mods to STICKY A THREAD in the OA section for n00b questions we'll be all set.

Happy Collecting :whee:

here are my quick answers, and they are not definitive, just what I "gleaned" was the answer from my collecting experience.

1. Character designs are when the look of a character needs to be defined. Sure we all know what Doc Oct looks like, but for a specific show, they want to be consistent so someone draws all the views of a character and everyone else follows it

2. A Pin up is just a nice sketch/commission. Not part of a comic story, not a cover, but a nice image

Malvin

Someone should merge this with the "new to collecting" thread

quick answer-

1. Those are designs for the new Ultimate Spider-man cartoon on Disney network. He was hired to come up with designs for characters on the cartoon.

2. Pin-up- for comic art used to refer to when there would be extra pages devoted to just a picture of the character- different from a splash page in that a pin-up had nothing to do with the story. Kirby would do these all the time and they were awesome.

These days the term is thrown around all the time and really means nothing unless it's an actual printed pin-up. The sample you linked to doesn't seem to have been printed, so it's just a damn drawing. But it sounds fancier to call it a pin-up.

Thanks, everyone!

OK, next question. How many fakes/scams are there in the OA world, and what are the methods of authentication?

My frame shop suggested I get a certificate of authenticity or a letter for my Slay Cover, but I've never seen OA come with anything like that.

Is it just about trusting the seller?

Does your frame shop sells certificate of authenticities? Its a ridiculous suggestion by a frame shop.

The short answer is do your research.

Malvin

No, she suggested I get one from the artist. Keep in mind 99.9% of what they deal with his non-comic art. It might be SOP when dealing with non-comic, original art.

I've only ever received one COA with an original art purchase and it wasn't even signed by the artist!!! It was more like a letter of provenance I guess as it was signed by Kevin Smith who was the former owner (and writer. It was the complete artwork to Green Arrow #1)

Does your frame shop sells certificate of authenticities? Its a ridiculous suggestion by a frame shop.

The short answer is do your research.

Malvin

No, she suggested I get one from the artist. Keep in mind 99.9% of what they deal with his non-comic art. It might be SOP when dealing with non-comic, original art.

I had meant to add a smiley face after the comment about the shop selling COA :D

but I've never seen one, although like Dumur I had purchased art from Kevin Smith's "Garage sale", and I recall one of those provenance things too, although I don't recall what I did with it.

Malvin

Certificates of Authenticity are as worthless as the paper they are printed on for people who know their hobby. They are the crutch on which the uninformed lean on and the tool with which forgers deceive. Collecting OA is a relatively young hobby compared to others but it is also IMO an advanced hobby. To be comfortable spending the large sums even entry level pieces demand you have to inform yourself. Personally, I would distrust anyone who would offer a COA with a piece.

Many people try to make the comparison of collecting comic art to fine art. I usually don't agree except for this one aspect: Imagine going to a gallery to buy a Cezanne or Picasso and the gallery offers a cheap single page COA as you would get with a Lord of the Rings Limited Edition Sword replica. I would knock the doors off the hinges running out of that place! If they offered anything it would be a 60 page thesis on the forensic examination scholars did to authenticate the piece. Even with multimillion dollar pieces this is uncommon. More likely than not what you are getting (if anything) is the provenance of a piece and the reputation of the seller. If that isn't enough to satisfy someone then maybe it should be a red flag that something is wrong with the piece. But again, I can not stress enough your own eye and knowledge (or that of someone you trust) should be the ultimate judge on authenticity.

Nothing is 100% guaranteed. You could buy a piece from Stan Lee or the Kirby estate and it could turn out the piece was an unpublished version because in post production someone decided they wanted a different layout and they had a studio artist rework the image off of a stat. I've seen well known artists and former art editors mindlessly sign pieces they never worked on because someone put it in front of them. Hell, I had John Romita Sr once sign a cover he inked over Kirby and he couldn't recognize who the penciler was. Meanwhile I know he's signed covers where all he did was maybe rework the head on a character and then that piece is passed of as Romita. How many people have bought pieces paying the premium that comes with the penciler's name attached never knowing the inker worked off of a lightbox? How could anyone but the inker know this? You could buy the lightboxed piece directly from the penciler or his rep and NO ONE would know unless the original pencil piece came onto the market or the inker spilled the beans.

As I've said too many times to count, there are no short-cuts. Knowledge is the only protection one has against making a "mistake" purchasing a piece and as I mentioned, one can never be absolutely 100% certain unless they were involved in the production process. Even then that's no guarantee. I'm sorry there isn't a better answer. That's just the way it is with high value one-of-a-kind pieces in just about any hobby.

I'm sorry there isn't a better answer. That's just the way it is with high value one-of-a-kind pieces in just about any hobby.

No need to be sorry. Your explanation was very detailed and it made a lot of sense, so it was actually a very good answer. That's what I assumed prior to that lady suggesting I get a COA. But then I'm new so I figured you don't know what you don't know.

In truth even experienced collectors can't know for sure what they're buying over the internet. They can't examine the piece so I would think they simply rely on buying from a reputable auction house or person.

Anybody have an opinion on Published "fakes" out there?

Yeah, they are bad for the hobby.

Are there a lot floating around ethier modern or Silver age?

There is more than a handful, a fake Ditko Spiderman page, a fake Infantino Flash splash and a fake Mignola fanzine cover just off the top of my head.

Are alot of Recreations passed off as originals?

Good question. I don't know. I'm sure it's happened. What I do find disturbing about recreations are when they labeled as unused alternative/variant covers. They are not either of those, they are what they are recreations or reinterpretations.

I've only ever received one COA with an original art purchase and it wasn't even signed by the artist!!! It was more like a letter of provenance I guess as it was signed by Kevin Smith who was the former owner (and writer. It was the complete artwork to Green Arrow #1)

There is no telling what lengths I would go to in order to get that.

There is no telling what lengths I would go to in order to get that.

He has some of the pages for sale. :gossip:

That thread will just make you lose IQ points.

It's an A-quality full page splash from a much-loved series that is heavily collected by a few BSDs. Frank Miller art is generally expensive and a lot of his DKR work is in the hands of a few collectors. A bidding war ensues and you have a half-million dollar page.