• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rarest Bronze Age Comic?

54 posts in this topic

Ok boss, you must be right. You have a website.

"the variants are a part of comics history."

I don't deny that, they certainly are.

"there is no way you can tell me the regular issue and the variant version are the same book."

They're not? How are you defining "book"? It is the same book. It's just not the exact same cover. The 35 cent variant of a 30 cent book is the same exact book except for one different number on the cover. Is that what you're buying, a 5?

"That's like saying your average low grade issue of Marvel Tales is the same book as the corresponding issue of Spidey."

Nope, not from the same original print run. Aren't the variants just the tail end (or beginning) of a comic's printing? Say, an issue has 40,000 copies published - doesn't the printer just change the (plate, number, whatever) from a 0 to a 5 at the very end (or vice versa), for say, 1,000 copies?

"You can scoff at WWT 15...because it is not a premiere title."

I never scoffed at WWT # 15 because it's not a premiere title. That was just the example used by Dan. I would have said the same no matter what comic was used. I have nothing "against" WWT # 15. Actually, I used Kid Colt # 220 as my first example. But I do scoff in general, yes...

"You want to claim that you have every issue of the Hulk, Invaders, FF or anything else, you'd be hard pressed to make that contention if you don't have the variants."

lol, yeah right. You're in the minority with that opinion, I'm sure. Tell this to your average collector and they'll probably say, "oh, you're trying to sell variant price books for a premium, aren't you?"

"...but don't try to argue about the rarity. It's undeniable."

Oh, sorry then.

If you want to stretch things, I might call these variants "qualified rare." The comic WWT #15 is not rare, as shown by my Ebay link and other obvious factors. The price variant of this issue may be technically hard to find, but that in itself does not make WWT # 15 rare. Therefore, all things considered, the entity known in it's entirety as WWT # 15 is not rare. That last statement is undeniable.

I think discussing variant prices here strays from the real topic of this thread. The topic is rarest comic, not rarest cover variant. I see "comic" as encompassing more than just the cover. The types of books I want to learn about in these threads are items like Cancelled Comic Cavalcade 1 and 2 with its 35 copies. Books that you just can't find, period. If you wanted to read CCC, could you just go out and find one? You could if you wanted to read WWT # 15.

Variants had print runs as well. They're just as much comics as anything else is, by saying they don't "count" as rare..that's just pretty dumb imo. I liked the coin example, I don't know anything about coins but they do have those different little letters..

Brian

But aren't the variant print runs part of the entire print run for that issue? Are you saying the price variants had completely separate print runs, done all by themsleves? You're not saying they printed the regular issue, like 40,000 copies, and then a week or two later came back and just printed 1,000 copies of the variant? That'd be pretty dumb if you meant that, IMHO.

They did test marketing so they did a run with the 30 cent and then they did a run with 35 cent. It's like what they did when the test marketed Clear Pepsi..which btw Iowa was part of and man did it suck.

Also, I think the original print runs were much lower then 1,000..not sure though. If you're trying to infer it's a "manufactured collectible" that's pretty dumb imo as well.

Brian

There's no way that the plates could have been number flipped for the variants as you suggest. Most of the variant covers have the price in a large circle or staburst logo that bleeds onto the cover artwork. This would have probably have needed a completely new set of plates, therefore technically a different print run.

That makes them just as valid as a variant as the contempary books with variant covers IMHO.

"They did test marketing so they did a run with the 30 cent and then they did a run with 35 cent."

Ok, explain this further. Do you mean that there were 2 separate print runs, at different times of the month? Or at 2 different printers? I'm saying that each book is the same exact book, run off the same press at the same time, and only the 0 and 5 were changed. So when I consider if a book is rare or not I consider the entire print run, little price variant or not. (I don't know print run numbers, so 1,000 was just an example).

As no, I am not saying these were a manufactured collectible. If we were talking about comics from the past 10-15 years, then yeah, I'd say definitely. But I don't consider the price variants as a conscious effort to make a comic collectible.

"variant covers have the price in a large circle or staburst logo "

Aren't those starburst logos the ones that usually say "Still 30 cents!" and they just took that out and put 35 cents in there?

But I can see how there might have to be 2 different plates, as I don't know much about the printing process. So could you argue that these are actually a second printing?

And I am not comparing these variant to any modern variants, so that's not a valid argument to me.

lol actually I think Wizard calls them 2nd printings, and I'm almost sure they were done the same time as the regular run. Paul, of Marvel Variant website fame, knows more about this..once he gets back he can explain. smile.gif

Brian

when the test marketed Clear Pepsi..which btw Iowa was part of and man did it suck.

I loved Crystal Pepsi! Tasted like cola, looked like water! What was not to like???

Gene

As we made a deal, your son picked up a nice 60's Bat-book and firmly and soundly bent it over his head. You handled it much better than I would've

It's a 60's Bat-Book! If I were Donut, I would let me son take it and cut it up for a "show and tell Superfriends" collage. If it was a 60's Spidey on the other hand... smile.gif

Rarest bronze? I don't know if there is one. You can find most all as far as I've seen.

As for that variant issue. All I can say is, why isn't the issues with the different bar code boxes taken into consideration. Some have the bar code, some a line throught it, and others have a picture of a superhero. Wouldn't that make them each a differnt varation.

Yep, the different UPC symbols are as valid a variant as the different prices, but they're not as highly prized because they're not rare. Comics with British pence prices instead of American cents are also a valid variant if you consider the American prices as variants.

The whole variant collecting craze is so nitpicking--so much ado about nothing--that it makes my head hurt. It's an artificial way for collectors to extend the hunt for the comics they love. I mean, that's what collecting is about, right? The hunt. "Look what I found!!!" Owning isn't nearly as much fun as searching and buying for collectors, is it? Unless, of course, you're showing off the rare stuff you own to other people. This, I can understand.

From a certain perspective price variant collectors are similar to high grade collectors. Both types find challenge in looking for issues that are rarer than the bulk of the issues of a title available, and both like feeling "special" about owning those rare comics. The difference between the two types of collectors is that condition has an aesthetic idea behind it that the average person can somewhat understand. ANYBODY would rather have a VG or better copy as compared to a Fair copy, whether they're a hard-core collector or not. The 9.0 and up collectors are an extension--most reader/collectors think an OVER-extension--of an aesthetic preference that every single reader/collector has. So while the average reader/collector thinks the high grade guys are nuts to pay as much as they do for these flawless copies, they sort of understand it. They might think the high grade guys are stupid for wanting to own a comic that you can't read, but they can somewhat relate to their sickness.

The price variant collectors have a unique type of collecting sickness/obsession that the VAST majority of people would never be able to understand. There's no aesthetic difference between a "30" cent label on a comic versus a "35" cent label. High grade guys are nuts, but price variant collectors are completely off their F'ing rocker. smile.gif

"You want to claim that you have every issue of the Hulk, Invaders, FF or anything else, you'd be hard pressed to make that contention if you don't have the variants."

That statement is completely ridiculous. I guess I will have to start collecting pence copies of the Marvel silver I own. Anyone know when the next flight out of JFK to London is?