• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panel Pages or no Panel Pages...

47 posts in this topic

Yes, I collect Bagley New Warriors art.

Recently I saw a New Warriors panel page offered by a dealer, and really wanted it. It was a cool action page would have looked great in my collection. But I hesitated. How many panel pages do I need? What makes a great panel page? Should I just go for splashes and covers?

I think that is what's happening. I rather pool my money and buy a cool cover or splash. Of course, the panel page sold and a little part of my soul cried.

Is quality better than quantity? This is Bagley's art on New Warriors, not his work on Spiderman or even MIller's work on Wolverine or Daredevil where panel pages are more expensive and sought after.

I guess we have to set our limits somewhere.

Just thinking out loud today as I wait for lunch to start.

Have to buy what you like. I think most collectors start off with panel pages then move into more expensive splashes and covers but many are happy and really like panel pages more. I think what happened to me that switched me to splash pages from panel pages was that I just started to build up way too many pages. My portfolios got crowded with pages just sitting there and I wanted a collection that was smaller but could be displayed in frames easier. However when it comes to the great artits like Kirby or Buscema panle pages are just fine with me.

Have a nice lunch.

Jay

Definitely agree - buy what you like. I've only been in the hobby for a few years, and I don't own a single panel, splash, or cover - I've only gotten commissions and sketches (and one piece of coloring-book original art for my wife). I love 'em. I have nothing against panels, covers, or splashes - I may get some in the future. I just found other stuff that I liked more.

Yea, I have to say I've been in a similar spot. I have several panel pages from my favorite comics, but I have to say that Transformers splashes (at least interesting ones) don't come up too often.

It's also funny because there are a few artists who are definitely selling off their current work. I love the work and would buy as much as I could afford, but how many pages do I want or need to buy of his? It's a lot to keep spending every time I "like" something and when I've seen covers and such come up, I feel like I can't pony up the dough because I spent 400 on panel pages that I felt drawn to.

I actually was really lucky with a cover recently and got a great price on it, but the others that have gone, I definitely missed out on because I was spending money on pages I like.

That's part of the reason why this hobby pains me, heh. Do I wait or do I buy now? The sheer availability of "stuff" on eBay is one of those things that causes me to wince sometimes.

Sometimes a good panel page is far far more interesting than a generic "cool pose" splash page or cover. Particularly to outsiders...if you have ever displayed work to non-comic fans, they always seem to gravitate towards the panel pages.

I think you may be right with that and I bet it's because they are used to the sunday comic strips and sort of intuitively know what they should be looking at with sequestial panels. This would be especially true with newer pages due to the lack of word balloons...which makes newer pages quite boring to me.

Jay

Sometimes a good panel page is far far more interesting than a generic "cool pose" splash page or cover. Particularly to outsiders...if you have ever displayed work to non-comic fans, they always seem to gravitate towards the panel pages.

Agreed. Lots of splashes and DPSes look like glorified commissions. With a sweet panel page, you get that extra story dimension. An artist who really knows how to tell a story clearly in panels is pretty fun to check out.

I think that is what's happening. I rather pool my money and buy a cool cover or splash. Of course, the panel page sold and a little part of my soul cried.

A page is never more desirable than the moment you see it marked "SOLD" after eyeballing it for a few hours/days/weeks and contemplating whether to pull the trigger or not.

Is quality better than quantity? This is Bagley's art on New Warriors, not his work on Spiderman or even MIller's work on Wolverine or Daredevil where panel pages are more expensive and sought after.

Isn't a small quantity of pages making up a nice sequence also a quality collection :baiting:

From my little corner of the collecting I've noticed a gravitation more towards covers and splashes. I attribute this to a few things:

1) New collectors entering the hobby and going after that "one prime example" As more and more people go after the same few pieces the prices start to reflect.

2) as word balloons dropped off of the panel pages, more collectors moved away from them and towards the covers/splashes where they weren't missed as much. This added more fuel to example #1

3) As new OA prices rose (panels increasing as the covers/splashes did to maintain that same % of value), more collectors moved away from panels and saved to get that one nice splash/cover. See #1

This has lead mostly to a general disdain for panel pages with few exceptions (I'm gonna drop the "W.D." word :sick: ), like WALKING DEAD

I forget where I was headed with this, but you should have bought that page :devil:

Re: I have panel pages because I've liked the way a figure looked in a single panel

You mean like this?

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=839039&GSub=70567

I'll let you figure out which panel made this page worth buying. Wasn't me though; I couldn't pull the trigger.

It's the Coffee and burger in the first panel, right? What do I win?

Brian

Very interesting thread and I learned a lot reading this!

Both types have their merits. And I don't think I can add anymore to what all the eloquent people have stated before me.

I just want to thank you all for the comments to this thread!

buy what you like and F what people say. I used to collect a lot of panel and still have a few. Now I'm 100% splash/cover unless I find a batgirl special page. I just think my tastes evolved as my knowledge has.

I like the storytelling aspect of panel pages. If done properly no text is really necessary to tell a story. The best example of storytelling I ever saw was a John Byrne issue of Captain America (with Dragon Man on the cover) where every panel was just amazing and conveyed so much. Ironically even-though Byrne's storytelling is superb in that comic, there is also a truckload of Roger Stern text in every panel as well. :)

I like the storytelling aspect of panel pages. If done properly no text is really necessary to tell a story. The best example of storytelling I ever saw was a John Byrne issue of Captain America (with Dragon Man on the cover) where every panel just amazing. Ironically even-though Byrne's storytelling is superb in that comic, there is also a truckload of Roger Stern text in every panel as well. :)

I'd love to get my hands on one of the Marvel 'NUFF SAID issue that they put out a couple of years back. For one month each creative team working on a Marvel title was challenge to put out a complete issue with no text.