• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White covers and Tanning

8 posts in this topic

Did anyone else ever notice that different white cover issues seem to suffer from tanning much more/less than others?

For example, Spidey 64 and Iron Man 2 seem to never exhibit much tanning, while Cap 111 and Spidey 62 are almost ALWAYS significantly tanned.

Do others agree and if so what is the deal? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agree w/ you about Cap #111. I have a structurally nice 9.0. But it has awful tanning. frown.gif

FF#60 (1st series) is a toughy as well. Thnakfully, the blazing One was able to hook me with a sweet copy in Philly. cloud9.gif

Did anyone else ever notice that different white cover issues seem to suffer from tanning much more/less than others?

For example, Spidey 64 and Iron Man 2 seem to never exhibit much tanning, while Cap 111 and Spidey 62 are almost ALWAYS significantly tanned.

Do others agree and if so what is the deal? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the tanning is just much more noticible on white covers. All covers tan, but on multi-colored covers, you have to open the book and see the inside of the cover ... whereas on white covers it's more apparent from the outside.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm comparing some white covers to others. I had a copy of Iron Man #2 that I bought in 1981.

It sat for 8 years in environmentally poor conditions, and still exhibited almost no tanning.

I happened to see Spideys 62 and 64 yesterday from the same collection (both white covers) and 64

had virtually no tanning, whereas 62 had lots. It just struck me as odd.

Cap 111 almost NEVER seems to have good whiteness.

agreed! its weird. Witching hour #3 is another. the large white background behind the logo is almost always manilla colored, yet the same spot on #1 is almost always white. It took me about 18 copies to find a white #3! And yes, i too had a nicely kept VFNM cap 111, but the cover had that beige, same with Green lantern #82 confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe it has something to do with specific batches of paper or sizing?