• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Identifying Archie Artists?

6 posts in this topic

I've been a closet Archie fan since childhood. I can easily pick out the styles of all the different artists.

But the only one I know by name and can match with his work is De Carlo.

If have one favorite Archie artist in particular, and I have no idea who he is. His work seems to be

mostly from the 1970's, and the majority of it is on Jughead stories. You can recognize his stories

by the characteristic block lettering the titles are drawn with.

Anyone have any idea who I am talking about or how one can get more info about Arhchie artists

other than De Carlo and Montana?

I've been a closet Archie fan since childhood. I can easily pick out the styles of all the different artists.

But the only one I know by name and can match with his work is De Carlo.

If have one favorite Archie artist in particular, and I have no idea who he is. His work seems to be

mostly from the 1970's, and the majority of it is on Jughead stories. You can recognize his stories

by the characteristic block lettering the titles are drawn with.

Anyone have any idea who I am talking about or how one can get more info about Arhchie artists

other than De Carlo and Montana?

Well, here's some quick info off the top of my head:

Bob Bolling, who drew Little Archie, has a very distinctive style of drawing. He worked not only on that strip, but in many "Life with Archie" books from the mid 1980's. If you can acquire some of those books you'll be able to pick up his style right away.

Mr. Harry Lucey - one of my all time favorites. He not only drew early MLJ covers like Special Comics #1 and Hangman #3 (!) but drew many of the very best stories from the late 1950's and 1960's. Remember those stories where Mr. Lodge had the 3 little baloons (of frustration) on each side of his head? That's Lucey's artwork, and was brilliant!

More later..gotta go back to work.

It sounds like you're talking about Samm Schwartz. If you can post a scan, I can probably tell you for sure.

I would be glad to try to identify artists based on scans (or issue numbers and I can look them up myself). Some artists are pretty easy, some I don't have any idea of who they are frown.gif

As far as I'm concerned the '60s line-up of Samm Schwartz on Jughead, Harry Lucey on Archie and Dan Decarlo on Betty & Veronica was the high point of Archie Comics!

Hope this helps!

I don't think it's Schwartz, though I like him too. I don't have scans, right now the best I can do is mention a few stories that I distinctly remember as being by this artist:

1. Jughead after suffering a blow to the head temporarily becomes a ladies man, winning the affections of all the girls in Riverdale before coming to his senses and going back to burgers.

2. (One of my favorite Archie stories): Archie and Jughead attempt to return a sweater Jughead ordered which is too large. Hilarious slapstick ensues wrapping the package and attempting to mail it.

Ring any bells?

This probably won't help much either, but if you come across the most recent Jug Double Digest (103),

the following stories are all by the artist I am talking about:

The Expert

Tapped Out

Hall of Fame

They all appear to me to be from the 1970's based on the fashions, haircuts, etc. In these stories,

Jughead is almost always wearing a V-neck sweater with a collared shirt under it. I have loved this

artist for years.