• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mind the Gap

871 posts in this topic

Is Mind The Gap A TV Show In Disguise?

Written on April 30, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics, Recent Updates

Mind The Gap #1 by Jim McCann, Rodin Esquejo and Sonia Oback comes out this week from Image Comics. I’ve read the first issue already… and something strikes me.

Jim McCann has said that the comic started out as a TV pilot. Well, it feel very much like the first two acts of a pilot, with the twist at the end that establishes what the comic is actually about, and would normally be spoilt in advance advertising.

We’re not going to do that here. But we do have a story about a girlfriend in a coma (it’s serious), those that know her, those taking care of her medically and where those two groups crossover. And we also join her in her mind, as she’s dealing with her new reality.

Anyway I understand that Jim McCann moved to LA last year at the urging of his agents, he’s being repped by a big-time TV agent and looking at Twitter seems to have lots of friends in TV who are all pushing this book for him online…

Is Mind The Gap basically another chance for Jim McCann to push his new idea for a TV show? And would it work? He certainly has all the right elements in play…

If you’re looking for the next Chew, Walking Dead, Thief Of Thieves or Nonplayer, this might be a good place to start. Also, you know, 48 pages for $2.99. Even if it never goes up in value (which it will), it’s still a bargain. Mark Waid talked about how a first chapter should give you everything you need to know to decide whether to stick with the series and this comic most definitely does that…

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/30/week-of-issue-ones/

Oh, I almost forgot to post this in here! At the Calgary Expo, Adrian Alphona had copies of his variant for MTG #1. Picked one up for $2 :D

I love double size first issues! Really gives you enough to get right into it. Looking forward to picking up the other covers on Wednesday,

Which one is the variant the head shot or the the ghost body? Sorry I'm too lazy to look right now.

It's a 50/50 split, so, excluding the Alphona cover, there's not technically a variant for #1.

There's a comic shop that is hosting a release party with $10 variant covers. Now that's interesting becasue it is being released at the right time, but it's a comic shop variant, but it's being sold nationally via ebay. Is it a true No. 1. I'm not sure. There's legit reasons to call it merely a regional variant and other legit reasons to say that it is not merely a regional variant. As always, time will tell.

I would imagine that the same thing happened with this book as with Fatale No. 1. The sales for the head shot cover had to be much higher than for the other cover, but I assume that the retail market will pick up the head shot cover much quicker than the other cover. I remember that pre-orders let you pick the number of each cover you wanted.

I guess you can't send me a copy overnight express then? Mine arrive next week.

If you don't mid the question, how many did you order?

Which one is the variant the head shot or the the ghost body? Sorry I'm too lazy to look right now.

It's a 50/50 split, so, excluding the Alphona cover, there's not technically a variant for #1.

that's how i saw it at my LCS, i like the non head cover best.

This book was a lot of fun and I'll keep reading. Unfortunately, most copies in my region are damaged or were not delievered. Of the ten I ordered only 1 was a potential 9.8. All the others had spine ticks. The rest of the copies my LCS received were much worse. I'm not sure if the rest of the order or re-order will be filled. I had to order more copies from a West Coast store just to get copies of the book that weren'r beat up. I am not sure if this was the result of the crash in Texas or not, but I certainly have no call to complain in the event that it was and wish the family of the departed comfort in their time of grief.