• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scanner for Original Art

24 posts in this topic

Hi all. I bought the Mustek A3 USB 2400 Pro, but can't figure out how to save images in jpg. Is there 3rd party software I have to download?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I use the A3 USB 2400 Pro to scan all of my stuff.

Does this particular scanner also work with CGC graded books?

I use an HP scanjet g4000 for slabs. As a rule, Musteks aren't very good with graded book(or anything not directly on the bed of the scanner)

Any thoughts on a scanner that works for both?

If I did I wouldn't have two scanners :makepoint:

Fair enough! lol

I spent the big bucks on the Epson GT-20000, I think it works great for art and books.

Slabs

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5803420#Post5803420

Art

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5803521#Post5803521

I don't mess with any settings and just scan and go. Works very well although once in a while it needs to reset otherwise it takes like 5 minutes to scan.

Worth the money IMO

James G

I work in an office and just this week started to use one of our massive scanners to scan my art.

It won't scan pencils though, only the blacks. It ignored everything else. I'm assuming these are the kinds of scanners comic publishers use to get their line art. But I have quite a few pencils that I want to scan since camera pictures do nothing go show the pencil lines.

I don't want to buy one of these scanners just to scan pencils though--that's money I could spend on art instead.

Anyone know if staples, kinkos etc have good scanners for pencils?

I do the same thing and the first few things I scanned also just did everything as solid blacks/white. I found (by staying late and pretty much trying every option on the machine) that there's lots of different settings that do show the pencils and even all the different blacks - so you can even tell what was done in pen and what was done with a brush even using the same ink - a bit like when you hold a page at an angle to the light.

It may be worth taking a couple hours to properly spend some time with the machine as our place just had the guy set it to pretty much big standard defaults for everything....

I also got some kudos for staying late/coming in early at the office - but just don't tell em it was for scanning all my own stuff!!!!

I need to do the same in my area. We have a pretty good scanner and I've scanned a few things at pretty high resolution, but playing with the settings (and "fixing" things other people changed) has taken a lot of time. I'm just nervous about bringing the art into the office because I don't want to leave it unattended at ANY time since things have been stolen from other offices in the area and I do need to leave my area on occasion.

Probably the first thing to learn about any scanning software - whether it's third-party or the application that came with the scanner - is how to switch it from "line art" to "greyscale" or colour mode (either RGB or CMYK). It's a simple setting change. One click. In "line art" mode, it comverts everything to either black or white. Everything with less than 50% density becomes white, and everything over 50% becomes black.

Scan your OA in greyscale - or better yet, in colour. A colour scan will show off all the tonal nuances, any blue line pencils, etc.

As for RGB vs CMYK (if you have that option), stick to RGB if you only plan to view the scan on a screen. CMYK is the colour format for offset printing. And you can always change colour modes after the fact.

Sure, once you familiarize yourself with your scanner, there are lots of tweaks you can do to the contrast, tonality, etc. to bring out the subtleties. But on a decent scanner, the default settings are usually pretty good, especially if you do a pre-scan and let the scanner calibrate itself for the image you're scanning.

Just make sure you don't scan in line art mode!