• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a (hopefully) Mitch-free May Heritage thread

25 posts in this topic

Specifically, I don't need someone telling me Disney books are dead.

Who’d be so fool to write such a thing?

In Italy, where we have had one of the strongest indigenous production of world-renowned classic Disney stories since the late 1930s (but the maturity has been in the 1950s), Disney comics are not just among the most valuable (if not the most valuable) but also among the most sought after books.

In fact, they are – alongside with early Bonelli adventure-themed books – the only ones which could be loosely compared (with due differences) to what has been happening with your Silver Age comic books since the 1970s.

Early issues of "Topolino" (the weekly pocket-sized main Disney publication published without interruption since 1949) sell for hundrends and thousands of Euros if in VF-NM condition, and are desired by collectors as much as Marvel key books in the US.

DD battles hitler is a really cool GA book, but it is an absolutely horrible "investment" book when compared to action 1, or tec 27 or batman 1, etc...heck, I would say Whiz 2(1) has more potential then DD BH1 doh\!

You’re an expert, so I can’t comment, but surely this is also my feeling.

I started my interest in golden age titles precisely with Daredevil Comics, a title which has intrigued me for 20+ years, in a time where it was almost impossible, from Italy, to see an iseue's content.

Now that I have a few issues (I own #2 as well), I am not so long attracted by #1.

It seems everyone has it, especially in high grade, provided you have the money to spend. Plus, the artwork of most of the features is generally worse than the following issues. I think it’s over-rated because of the cool cover, but in the end there are even a few Silver Streak issues which are better than DD#1, in my opinion. :)

Noticed an interesting book. Roy Rogers Annual (1947). It's 132 pages and according to comics.org, it predates Roy Rogers Comics from Dell. The cover on the Annual is the same as Roy Rogers #2.

Also raises another question. Usually when a Four Color title was transitioned to its own book, the new series starts out at the sequential # of the issues published before. Example, Uncle Scrooge starts at #4, after 3 Four Color issues. Roy Rogers had (by my count) 13 FC issues before moving to its own book. Just an interesting little observation.

In before the Mitch.

I've got my eye on a duck book in that auction as well. I think my WDC&S run has lived without the first Barks issue for long enough. Good luck with the 386 - that's a beautiful book.

As with any other top tier book these days, I would recommend for those interested in this 386 to do a little research.

In before the Mitch.

I've got my eye on a duck book in that auction as well. I think my WDC&S run has lived without the first Barks issue for long enough. Good luck with the 386 - that's a beautiful book.

As with any other top tier book these days, I would recommend for those interested in this 386 to do a little research.

Absolutely. It's too bad auction houses don't include information about whether a book has been pressed to their or the consignor's knowledge.

For the record, I'm watching the 386, but not b/c I'm selling or buying it. It's just a really HG copy of a book I love.