• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Higher value for Newstand vs Direct editions!

49 posts in this topic

OK, fess up, who is out there collecting both newstand AND direct editions of their favorite titles? Or prefers to collect the newstand edition over the direct edition?

On that same topic, I did want to mention that Pam's inventory team has graded over 10,000 more (!) back issues for you over the past 2 days, including hundreds the harder-to-find newsstand editions of Marvel and DC comics. If you are unaware of this trend, after inquiries from a number of completist collectors, we started last fall to differentiate newsstand and direct market editions on our website. This is a project that we have been working on all winter, with a special emphasis on correcting our comics cover scans, which previously were a random mixture of newsstand and direct copies.

After six months of effort, a relatively accurate picture is now emerging of the differences in availability of newsstand and direct copies. Simply put, newsstand editions from the 1980's are common, from the 1990's are scarce, and from the past ten years are very scarce. This reflects the steady decline of newsstand print runs as a percentage of overall comics production. A few oddities are also emerging, as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions. Our efforts to unravel these mysteries for you are ongoing, with our only listing newsstand editions as we actually locate physical copies of each comic. That having been said, my steadily working through thousands of comics each evening in Jason St. is helping greatly to identify previously unknown newsstand editions.

Last month MH Chuck shared the info in his newsletter and he's backing it up with some crazy high prices -- I've looked at a few random titles and have spotted pricing on newstand issues at as much as 10x the direct edition's price! I have to agree with his commentary that 80's newstands are common, 90's newstands are scarcer, and the ratio of direct to newstand in the 2000's is almost certainly huge. The question though, is whether this is actually translating into higher prices paid for the newstand versions? Is Chuck on the forefront of a new pricing trend where we'll all start collecting and paying up for newstand editions? :ohnoez:

Simply put, newsstand editions from the 1980's are common, from the 1990's are scarce, and from the past ten years are very scarce.

This is accurate. Whether it'll matter is another story. It'll probably take a significant difference, like Juan posted above, or like the regular NS price versions of the 25c/50c Marvels circa 2000.

as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions.

hm NO directs? Color me skeptical.

Last month MH Chuck shared the info in his newsletter and he's backing it up with some crazy high prices

Who? Chuck?!?

I do not know if I would pay a lot more for a newsstand over a direct edition. I would probably pay $5-$10 more but that is it. I just like the newsstands because when I got into collecting back in 1992 I bought all of my books from a newsstand so it is nice to get a copy of the book just like I did when I was 10 years old.

Simply put, newsstand editions from the 1980's are common, from the 1990's are scarce, and from the past ten years are very scarce.

This is accurate. Whether it'll matter is another story. It'll probably take a significant difference, like Juan posted above, or like the regular NS price versions of the 25c/50c Marvels circa 2000.

as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions.

hm NO directs? Color me skeptical.

Last month MH Chuck shared the info in his newsletter and he's backing it up with some crazy high prices

Who? Chuck?!?

Yeah, Chuck. Browsing his prices it seems like the minimum multiple for newstands from the last 20 years is about 3x-4x the direct version! :whatthe:

direct used to be the way to go. now that both have an ugly barcode on the FRONT cover (still no idea why they can't just work with advertisers to carve out a small portion of the back), the newsstand is probably batter if you like rare stuff.

[font:Book Antiqua]Question:

Newstand are the books with barcode.

Direc Editions are the books without the barcode.

Its that correct?

are this the ONE AND ONLY diference between them...?[/font]

(shrug)

OK, fess up, who is out there collecting both newstand AND direct editions of their favorite titles? Or prefers to collect the newstand edition over the direct edition?

On that same topic, I did want to mention that Pam's inventory team has graded over 10,000 more (!) back issues for you over the past 2 days, including hundreds the harder-to-find newsstand editions of Marvel and DC comics. If you are unaware of this trend, after inquiries from a number of completist collectors, we started last fall to differentiate newsstand and direct market editions on our website. This is a project that we have been working on all winter, with a special emphasis on correcting our comics cover scans, which previously were a random mixture of newsstand and direct copies.

After six months of effort, a relatively accurate picture is now emerging of the differences in availability of newsstand and direct copies. Simply put, newsstand editions from the 1980's are common, from the 1990's are scarce, and from the past ten years are very scarce. This reflects the steady decline of newsstand print runs as a percentage of overall comics production. A few oddities are also emerging, as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions. Our efforts to unravel these mysteries for you are ongoing, with our only listing newsstand editions as we actually locate physical copies of each comic. That having been said, my steadily working through thousands of comics each evening in Jason St. is helping greatly to identify previously unknown newsstand editions.

Last month MH Chuck shared the info in his newsletter and he's backing it up with some crazy high prices -- I've looked at a few random titles and have spotted pricing on newstand issues at as much as 10x the direct edition's price! I have to agree with his commentary that 80's newstands are common, 90's newstands are scarcer, and the ratio of direct to newstand in the 2000's is almost certainly huge. The question though, is whether this is actually translating into higher prices paid for the newstand versions? Is Chuck on the forefront of a new pricing trend where we'll all start collecting and paying up for newstand editions? :ohnoez:

:popcorn:

From a purely aesthetic point of view, I prefer the direct copies with the non-barcode UPC. I like the sketches/art in the direct editions but that is just personal preference and not based on rarity.

I'll take a newsstand copy over a direct edition. I believe there is a great difference when it comes to availability.

I think premium pricing for post 1998 newsstand versions will be accepted by most collectors soon but the difference will be minor with raw books since it might only be the difference between holding cover price or being a dollar box book.

If CGC were to start differentiating more clearly that might help pricing but it's too late for them to fix the census.

Yeah, Chuck. Browsing his prices it seems like the minimum multiple for newstands from the last 20 years is about 3x-4x the direct version! :whatthe:

Just wait till he finds a bunch of UK price variant books!