• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Higher value for Newstand vs Direct editions!

49 posts in this topic

The only news stand copy I ever paid a premium for was ASM vol. 2 #36, most of the time I just don't see the point of paying extra for a barcode (shrug)

But they're rarer! And you need both versions or your collection is not complete! :makepoint:

:jokealert:

Right, and when my collecting OCD gets bad I may pay the premium, but usually I can just go to the bar and spend the extra $ on beer to take the edge off smiley-eatdrink004.gif

Chuck is taking the path "they are rarer so the price should be higher."

However, pricing is based on BOTH supply and demand. He is

assuming high demand which I think is not the case. Based on demand,

if there is a demand, I should thing that for most books the newsstand

price should be about 1.1 to 1.2 times the direct price.

If the Overstreet guide ever adds newsstand pricing information I

suspect it will be in the following form.

"Before 19xx, most newsstand issues have the same values as direct

issues. Between 19xx+1 and 2000, most newsstand values are 1.x

times the direct prices. After 2000, most newsstand values are

1.y times the direct prices. Any issues significantly different from these

values will be noted as such."

(In the above, years and ratios are, as yet, not determined; my values

are pure guesswork.) That way Overstreet can cover the situation in

one paragraph rather than increase the size of the price guide by

25% (or more).

I would not think it likely that this division would take place. If it

does occur, the major factors making it happen would include:

1) other dealers (starting with Lone Star) start the price splitting;

2) CGC starts notating the newsstand/direct notation in their

labels (By changing all new labels to end with "-N" or "-D" they

could move forward without creating census issues.)

Without both of these events taking place, I suspect MH will be out

by themselves and, over time, will adjust their ratios down or completely

remove them as a bad idea.

He's trying to create a market for them by stirring up buzz. It will most likely work, but it takes time. Right now, there's not loads of people searching out newsstand editions, but there are some. After reading that, more people will start looking as well, and some will even buy from Chuck.

It reminds me of the column that Doug Sulipa wrote in the Overstreet a few years back, mentioning about the Whitman variants and how rare and undervalued they were. His market report got the buzz going with those and they became hot little items. I know that it got me interested in them.

It reminds me of the column that Doug Sulipa wrote in the Overstreet a few years back, mentioning about the Whitman variants and how rare and undervalued they were. His market report got the buzz going with those and they became hot little items. I know that it got me interested in them.

I think he's been the prime driver behind the interest in Canadian newsstand price versions as well.

assuming high demand which I think is not the case.

Depending on the actual rarity, it won't take much demand to eclipse the supply. Newstand comics from the last 5-15 years are tough to find vs direct editions, no doubt about it.

It's not so wacky to think that more collectors will decide that scarce = collectible and start searching out newstand editions. Look at the Marvel price variants - the only difference is the cover price coupled with scarcity. How many collectors would be after them if they were common? Don't want to turn this into a price variant discussion, but I'm just using the analogy that what drives the collectibility, IMHO, is the scarcity. After you get a small handful of people deciding they want to collect them then I think the market could see a price premium. The question is probably only the size of the premium, so for popular titles with extreme scarcity of the newstand versions you might see a nice differential vs direct!

Depending on the actual rarity, it won't take much demand to eclipse the supply. Newstand comics from the last 5-15 years are tough to find vs direct editions, no doubt about it.

It's not so wacky to think that more collectors will decide that scarce = collectible and start searching out newstand editions. Look at the Marvel price variants - the only difference is the cover price coupled with scarcity. How many collectors would be after them if they were common? Don't want to turn this into a price variant discussion, but I'm just using the analogy that what drives the collectibility, IMHO, is the scarcity. After you get a small handful of people deciding they want to collect them then I think the market could see a price premium. The question is probably only the size of the premium, so for popular titles with extreme scarcity of the newstand versions you might see a nice differential vs direct!

Chuck is already doing this at Mile High Comics. He charges more for newstand versionss. Go check out his Marvel Transformers and you will see what I am talking about.

Chuck is already doing this at Mile High Comics. He charges more for newstand versionss. Go check out his Marvel Transformers and you will see what I am talking about.

:facepalm:

as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions.

hm NO directs? Color me skeptical.

hm There seems to be something to it. I don't see any direct/non-UPC issues for the AF #65-74 range looking at all these +66%2c+67%2c+68%2c+69%2c+70%2c+71%2c+72%2c+73%2c+74%29&_sacat=See-All-Categories'>ebay results

:ohnoez:

as it turns out that some comics had no newsstand editions, while others (such as a small grouping of mid-range 1980's ALPHA FLIGHT issues) had only newsstand editions.

hm There seems to be something to it. I don't see any direct/non-UPC issues for the AF #65-74 range looking at all these +66%2c+67%2c+68%2c+69%2c+70%2c+71%2c+72%2c+73%2c+74%29&_sacat=See-All-Categories'>ebay results

:whistle:

Well--Doug Sulipa was also the one talking about Killing Joke completists in his Ovestreets market report a few years back. That 1st printings and 5th printings are mad easy to find in NM/M, but full sets of printings 1-8 are _tough_

Granted, at least that issue has different colored letters on it. Just color me skeptical.

The areas I do see taking off are blatantly different versions--like Wildcats # 2 non-chrome, the X-Men/Uncanny issues in the 90s where the direct versions were full wraparound foil covers and like a dollar more than the plain newsstand ones (around X-Men # 36), or the "Marvel Presents" Vol. 2 Daredevils with diff. numbering.

I have to say I'm a newstand guy. Over the years I've been putting together a nice run of the new X-Men. I'm not looking for anything other than newstand copies because that is what I bought originally.

What are you whistling about? Do you have any direct versions of these? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have always believed this book should sell for more than the gray cover:

ASM400.jpg

Interesting example - In this case there were two direct versions and the "limited" version is by far the more common version, whereas the cheaper non-special cover is scarce, correct?

I think that's also the case on at least a couple other Spidey books from around that same timeframe.

I have to say I'm a newstand guy. Over the years I've been putting together a nice run of the new X-Men. I'm not looking for anything other than newstand copies because that is what I bought originally.

Tell us about the market in those... I'd assume they're tougher to find. How are you faring on pricing?

Well--Doug Sulipa was also the one talking about Killing Joke completists in his Ovestreets market report a few years back. That 1st printings and 5th printings are mad easy to find in NM/M, but full sets of printings 1-8 are _tough_

Granted, at least that issue has different colored letters on it. Just color me skeptical.

Warlord rushes off to his boxes to check which printings he has.... :whee:

I have always believed this book should sell for more than the gray cover:

ASM400.jpg

Interesting example - In this case there were two direct versions and the "limited" version is by far the more common version, whereas the cheaper non-special cover is scarce, correct?

I think that's also the case on at least a couple other Spidey books from around that same timeframe.