• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC office tour at cnet.com

7 posts in this topic

They were limited on what they could photograph, but the results are still quite interesting. Obviously, no photos that might reveal a future storyline.

DC Comics office tour at cnet

I've viewed the previous link with no trouble in a variety of browsers. Still, for those having trouble, try this updated link.

They were limited on what they could photograph, but the results are still quite interesting. Obviously, no photos that might reveal a future storyline.

DC Comics office tour at cnet

That's cool.

I had never heard this...

Viviano explained that 1950s-era artists had their tricks. One was using posterboard that had been treated with special chemicals by the paper manufacturer. When another chemical, also sold by the same company, was applied to it, that created a cross-hatch pattern. The artist could use this to create instant shading, the kind that's often achieved on computers these days.

124965.jpg.45bf029c8094a20648d18fd6e7481bdc.jpg

Is "Doubletone" shown in the photo like "Zip-A-Tone"? Same chemical process, different brand names?

I guess Doubletone was a chemical process whereas Zip-A-Tone was a pressure transfer process.

Screentone

It is also known by the common brand names Zip-A-Tone (1937, now defunct[2]), Chart-Pak (1949[3]), and Letratone (1966, from Letraset[4]).

Is "Doubletone" shown in the photo like "Zip-A-Tone"? Same chemical process, different brand names?

I guess Doubletone was a chemical process whereas Zip-A-Tone was a pressure transfer process.

Screentone

It is also known by the common brand names Zip-A-Tone (1937, now defunct[2]), Chart-Pak (1949[3]), and Letratone (1966, from Letraset[4]).

Thanks for the info. (thumbs u

Fascinating stuff. I was able to google-up a photoshop tut HERE on how to mimic the effect.

"Craftint had two patterns on it. Apply one chemical to it with a brush or pen and the first pattern was revealed. Use another chemical and the other pattern came up. It required careful planning and tone management, because once the tone or tones were revealed your only option was to take it to white or black. Erasing and reapplying tone was impossible."