• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan 8 Cover

22 posts in this topic

"Born on the Battlefield"...

13024.jpg

I believe the cover artist on this issue is Greg Ruth who will also be doing the interior art for this story arc. Lenil Yu picks up the cover duties with issue 9. Either way, a breath of fresh air after Linsner! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, I've been applauding on this forum for a few weeks that Ruth was doing the cover. In fact, I knew it before it was even official, since he and I have been corresponding about a commissioned piece of his for me (boasts!)

Well, the art's pretty good, but when I buy a Conan book, I want to see Conan on the cover, not some 893censored-thumb.gif tyke. mad.gif

gossip.gif Conan: the Origin

Busiek's version of "The WB's Teen Conan" has been all right, so far, but I'd rather that he fast forwarded a few years so we can see Conan in his prime doing what he doees best. I surely don't need to see "Conan: The Terrible Twos" or "Conan: The Wonder Years". 893frustrated.gif

Well, the art's pretty good, but when I buy a Conan book, I want to see Conan on the cover, not some 893censored-thumb.gif tyke. mad.gif

Busiek's version of "The WB's Teen Conan" has been all right, so far, but I'd rather that he fast forwarded a few years so we can see Conan in his prime doing what he doees best. I surely don't need to see "Conan: The Terrible Twos" or "Conan: The Wonder Years". 893frustrated.gif

Why isn't his "birth on the battlefield" story worth telling? I think it's definitely an interesting tale to tell.

Why isn't his "birth on the battlefield" story worth telling? I think it's definitely an interesting tale to tell.

The sooner they get to the Conan that we all knew before, then the sooner people can complain about the rehashing of the old Conan stories.

tongue.gif

The sooner they get to the Conan that we all knew before, then the sooner people can complain about the rehashing of the old Conan stories.

27_laughing.gif That's an angle I didn't think of... sweet thumbsup2.gif

Because it's going to waste part or all of six perfectly good issues over the next two years to tell this "Born on the Battlefield" story, as per the Dark Horse website. At most, this should take 4 or 5 pages of a single issue to tell. Better yet, for those of us who want to see Adult Conan and not Baby Conan, make it a spin-off mini-series. I fear that Dark Horse, in their desire to stay "true" to the REH source material, is going to keep putting in filler storylines like this to stay within REH continuity instead of just making up good Conan stories to tell like Marvel did.

I don't know about you, but I want to see Conan slaying, thieving, wenching and boozing, not getting his diapers changed (and certainly not for SIX issues). 893frustrated.gif

Because it's going to waste part or all of six perfectly good issues over the next two years to tell this "Born on the Battlefield" story, as per the Dark Horse website. At most, this should take 4 or 5 pages of a single issue to tell. Better yet, for those of us who want to see Adult Conan and not Baby Conan, make it a spin-off mini-series. I fear that Dark Horse, in their desire to stay "true" to the REH source material, is going to keep putting in filler storylines like this to stay within REH continuity instead of just making up good Conan stories to tell like Marvel did.

I don't know about you, but I want to see Conan slaying, thieving, wenching and boozing, not getting his diapers changed (and certainly not for SIX issues). 893frustrated.gif

I just want to see good stories. If Busiek, who's pretty good on occasion, sees six issues worth of story in this then I'll HAPPILY go along for the ride. I mean, stepping away from any pre-conceived notions of what a Conan comic book "should be" I would think people would find this story more than intriguing. It's so bloody "pulpy," the idea of this kid being born in the middle of all this mayhem with all the "meaning" that brings along with it.

I just want to see good stories. If Busiek, who's pretty good on occasion, sees six issues worth of story in this then I'll HAPPILY go along for the ride. I mean, stepping away from any pre-conceived notions of what a Conan comic book "should be" I would thing people would find this story more than intriguing. It's so bloody "pulpy," the idea of this kid being born in the middle of all this mayhem with all the "meaning" that brings along with it.

And with any luck we'll get to see heads getting chopped off. grin.gif

Issue # 9: Baby Conan foils babysitter Toth Amon's plan to rule the world by making a stinky boom boom. crazy.gif

Crom! 893whatthe.gif

I just received this comment from artist Greg Ruth:

"Thanks everyone for the kudos and support on the Conan effort so far- Glad to hear its being well received. While doing a story of Conan's birth and early years might seem a little off, I think everyone's going to be pleasantly surprised by the book- Kurt's really outdone himself this time. It's hard getting used to drawing a book like this- it's a big departure for me, but in the end I hope I can pull it off. I tend to agree with the general attitude about the Linsner covers, but as Scott Allie has explained many times, they do get the point across in a direct way. I like a grittier, dirtier Conan myself, but that said, the previous covers so far do do what they're meant to do in a basic way- to jump off the shelf of other books."