• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting discussion about exclusive deals

347 posts in this topic

You ask me if I love you

And I choke on my reply

I'd rather hurt you honestly

Than mislead you with a lie

And who am I to judge you

On what you say or do?

I'm only just beginning to see the real you

And sometimes when we touch

The honesty's too much

And I have to close my eyes and hide

I wanna hold you til I die

Til we both break down and cry

I wanna hold you till the fear in me subsides

Guest Grails
I am still tryin to nagivate all this, I only have one question.

If Stan is attending a con with the booth setup thing as Chandler described and CGC is at the event, can I just go to CGC booth and get a CAW to witness the sig and not have to pay all the extras beside Stan's signing fee?

I thought I had a pretty good handle on SS SOP but after recent discussions I'm not so sure. "I" would think that if Stan Lee or anyone for that matter is at a con in which CGC is set up, I could ask for any available CAW to assist me. And if I didn't require the signature to be slabbed/authenticated, I should be able to walk right up to the man and just ask for his Hancock. (Stop it...)

I must be out of the loop if its not that simple anymore.

Charlie: A similar question was asked previously.

Welcome to the boards. I'll address these questions.

1) Come to the CGC booth before you get anything signed. We no longer get books signed for people. Starting this year, we will be providing witnesses for people should they want to get the autographs themselves. If people do not want to possibly spend time waiting in lines at shows for celebrities or creators, they will need to submit through a facilitator.

From the other thread:

I am still tryin to nagivate all this, I only have one question.

If Stan is attending a con with the booth setup thing as Chandler described and CGC is at the event, can I just go to CGC booth and get a CAW to witness the sig and not have to pay all the extras beside Stan's signing fee?

The short answer here, is NO.

I know that sucks on ice, but this is how it was explained to me, directly from DWC.

If you have your own CGC account---and I am ASSUMING that this applies to anyone with a Collectors Society, Dealer Account or otherwise---and you want to put the book on your own account----

You have to pay Chandler/DWC an additional $20 fee over the top if you want to put the book on your own CGC account.

That $20 fee, as it was explained to me, works like this.

Half goes to Stan's office.

Half goes toward paying DWC expenses.

By expenses, this is airfare, hotel and anything else that goes toward

bringing three people to a show (Chandler, Sharon and Tonia).

Otherwise, what you would do is submit the book through DWC at their booth, and you pay whatever DWC fees are already in place to get your book graded for Stan Lee s/s. There is a witness in place at the Stan Lee table connected to DWC for this.

There are other ops out there for Stan signings---currently NYComics has a Masters Signing. DWC is not involved in this and there would be no handling fee to DWC."

This way its 100% clear that everyone can (and should) use someone else as opposed to Chandler when getting Stan.

Chandler made it so difficult for me the first (and only) time I worked to get my private Stan signing, I'll never do it again.

People like Sean have a history with Max and Stan prior to the DWC regime (ergo, I think they only do the Masters once a year).

In before the lock/delete

Hopefully that won't happen as the people asking questions are not CAWs or facilitators but people interested in the process. As long as people ask the questions, people will continue to give information as they understand it until an official response is given.

Nothing wrong with questioning a policy that many have a hard time with. The only way the uninformed become informed and then can make informed decisions based on that.

I choose to not get signatures that are exclusives, but that is my call. Heck the majority of the time I can get a book cheaper on eBay, then the auto fee, cgc fee, shipping charges etc and the grade is known.

And for those wondering about Tony Moore, as it is used as an exclusive to muddy up the waters of exclusives...

You come to any show, whether a facilitator or just someone that wants an auto and $5 gets you a sig and the book is handed back to the booth to be submitted any way you choose. No financial gain from the $5 for me. Ask anyone who has also been privy to these signings.

I think some people are attacking the wrong people in this case. Shouldn't the talent also be held responsible or are they on such a pedestal that we can't question the money grab when it is obscene and takes your hard earned money from you? I speak to facilitator charges to put on your own account and a fee of $20 with half going to 'the office' just to put your own book (that you paid for), that you just purchased a ticket to a con for, that you waited in line for, that you shelled out $50 a pop per sig, that you paid travel for... It's wrong. It might be the way it is and a lot of talk about it being the only way it can be done, but it is wrong. No other way to look at it.

Support it and you consider it right.

To add more and to clarify...

Private Signings or Signings paid for completely by the creator and/or vendor:

If Stan Lee is brought in privately (he pays the booth fees, travel, hotel etc.) or brought in by a vendor, then he should be able to do whatever he wants. If he is signing at a specific booth, a facilitator, such as DWC, should have complete control of books submitted for SS.

But...

Guest of the show, paid appearance fee:

If Stan is brought in as guest of the show, which I assume often he is with a large appearance fee. Anyone and everyone should be able to be treated like a ticket holder of the show and pay the auto fee, which for many is very high, but obviously worth it, and wait in line with a CAW from the CGC booth, bring the book back and sub it.

This is not my DWC is bad for comics speech, this is me stating that I can see all sides of the coin. DWC has helped out countless people to get Stan signatures in the past and many are estatic with that. Kudos for doing that and I am sure many would agree.

The basic problem is charging more for who you are (I believe that is the definition of discrimination, lawyers?), not being able to do what you want at a public event that you purchased a ticket for, paid an autograph ticket for etc.

I have heard that Stan's people would like to have an accurate account of how many books were going to CGC (which should not matter) and having 1 facilitator clears that up. It's simple math: 2000 tickets sold, 2000 autographs. Where they go after that is of no one's concern. The fee has been paid, end of story.

Again, let's not attack DWC for this, but let's look at the process and how it can be fixed. I have been around Stan's people and they are great people. I think the problem is not seeing the forest through the trees on this. It looks bad and no one needs that.

I am ok with a creator charging a small fee when a book is going to CGC. I would like it better if they didn't of course but it does not bother me that much. Adams charges $10 per CGC book. I get that they think all these will end up on eBay and they want to make a little something if I am going to make money off it.

I am not ok with the way the Stan Lee things are set up. Granted I would never have Stan sign anything because I do not like Marvel and I cannot stand to see his signature on a book he did not work on. I just do not get why people continue to pay stupid prices for this old man's signature.

I think some people are attacking the wrong people in this case. Shouldn't the talent also be held responsible or are they on such a pedestal that we can't question the money grab when it is obscene and takes your hard earned money from you? I speak to facilitator charges to put on your own account and a fee of $20 with half going to 'the office' just to put your own book, that you just purchased a ticket to a con for, that you waited in line for, that you shelled out $50 a pop per sig. It's wrong. It might be the way it is and a lot of talk about it being the only way it can be done, but it is wrong. No other way to look at it.

Support it and you consider it right.

JJ: I think you're right that talent shares some of the blame. I also don't have a problem with a small fee when the book is being SS'd. My issue is that I doubt any of the "exclusive" talent came up with the idea to charge more on their own.

X talent gets a nice fee from the promoter for even being there. I've heard the number. More power to him. He makes good scratch on the tickets sold for his signature. More power to him. When the only difference between one SS'd book and the other is that it goes on 1 facilitator's account vs. another, I have a hard time justifying another $x per book. That fee isn't present when I submit through the "non-exclusive" facilitator. Why? B/c the "non-exclusive" facilitator makes money submitting the book to CGC.

It's not exclusive if you can still submit the book, but have to pay $100 more to do it on another facilitator's account? Not sure that computes.

If Stan Lee is brought in privately (he pays the booth fees, travel, hotel etc.) or brought in by a vendor, then he should be able to do whatever he wants. If he is signing at a specific booth, a facilitator, such as DWC, should have complete control of books submitted for SS.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with this.

Ok another process question:

Artists have signing fees and they also have expense fees? I thought someone posted that "exclusive fees and such" were the product of a mail away or something cause the money was used for having a special caw for just that event and cause it wasnt a con that CGC was attending with its staff. But you lose me when it is a con attend by cgc staff and you can use a caw to get a signature cause you need to use the exclusive caw for a particular creator cuase the setup person for the con or whoever has guarentted an amount of submissions to justify the exclusive assigned caw. So arent you forcing people to use that caw in order to justify the guarntee numbers?

I will continue to use the cgc ss system and look for people like Rich who are taking submissions for my books, because quite frankly I cant figure out when I can use or get cgc ss books and CAWs at cons or need to use special ones etc...

Thanks to all who offer assistance with books and the cgc ss program cause for the regular collector I cant make heads or tails of it.

If a facilitator is setting up an opportunity and paying the expenses for a talent to attend a show, then I can understand and even agree with the facilitator getting some share of other facilitators or collectors "piggy-backing" on the opportunity.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with this.
So in that case his signing fee is really what ever the creator charges plus the guy's booth costs. So if the fee is usually say $50 and the booth guys cost is say $20 per sig to get cost back than shouldnt that be across the table regardless of who or what entity comes to the booth for a sig? Cause at that point your just wanting your expense back. But if you charge extra for cgc ss people that arent you than isnt that forcing the consumer to go with the booth guy who will charge you less by going thru him instead of the other guy?

Again Just tryin to wrap my brain around this whole program and all the fees to understand how to spend my $ to further my collection and be happy with my comics that I have at the end of the day.