• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'American Pickers' in my home town!

72 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have some time in between my sales and wanted to post this. This does involve comic books!

American Pickers came to my home town of Boyertown, PA. I can now post this; as the local media already started to write about it! The show will air in two-three months and features a well known local collector who used to own a comic book store I visited as a kid during the 90's explosion and growth (and eventual 'crash') of comic books. I used to love visiting this store and the owner now owns a pet store...

Anyway an Amazing Fantasy #15 was sold and will be featured in this episode!

News broke (not by me), but by a local woman who recognized the American Pickers van sitting near the street. The public was then 'tipped off' and many people went to see Mike and Frank! I was NOT present; as I was busy with my career and did not learn of this until later. I just wanted to post this as I find it 'cool.'

Respectfully,

'mint'

"Only reason to watch the show"

Actually, American Pickers is one of the best of ALL the collecting shows. The only thing missing are the episodes that show us 'picker's being called to 'creepy' basements with worthless objects and the occassional 'nut' who thinks his pile of old newspaper is worth a 'stack of cash!'

Believe me when I say that these two guys are the REAL deal when it comes to 'picking.' While I like 'Pawn Stars' you cannot imagine how many people now think that a pawn shop is supposed to tell you the actual value of your item...or 'phone a friend.'

I once had a deal where I was supposed to buy a very expensive piece of early American glass. I could not be 100% sure of the validity of the item. The seller who watches 'Pawn Stars' (obviously); actually said to me, 'isn't this the part where you call in a friend?'

My response: 'This is not television, mam. It will take me a few days to research it.'

She could not believe that I didn't have people on speed dial just waiting to appraise her item and come to her ASAP. This is what reality shows based on collecting have done to America...

Everything is worth a ton of money and you have to now 'phone a friend.' Oh and that freind must be immediately available!

"Only reason to watch the show"

Actually, American Pickers is one of the best of ALL the collecting shows. The only thing missing are the episodes that show us 'picker's being called to 'creepy' basements with worthless objects and the occassional 'nut' who thinks his pile of old newspaper is worth a 'stack of cash!'

Believe me when I say that these two guys are the REAL deal when it comes to 'picking.' While I like 'Pawn Stars' you cannot imagine how many people now think that a pawn shop is supposed to tell you the actual value of your item...or 'phone a friend.'

I once had a deal where I was supposed to buy a very expensive piece of early American glass. I could not be 100% sure of the validity of the item. The seller who watches 'Pawn Stars' (obviously); actually said to me, 'isn't this the part where you call in a friend?'

My response: 'This is not television, mam. It will take me a few days to research it.'

She could not believe that I didn't have people on speed dial just waiting to appraise her item and come to her ASAP. This is what reality shows based on collecting have done to America...

Everything is worth a ton of money and you have to now 'phone a friend.' Oh and that freind must be immediately available!

prefer Storage Wars and Boot Fairs lol

Love that show. My g/f thinks they're annoying. The girl that works for them is smokin hot IMO.

You got that right (thumbs u

Danielle%20car.jpg

only reason to watch the show

Not the only reason but she's definitely on the list of reasons. (thumbs u

Danielle stays in the home office , she does not go on the road with them much I think. She a good looking women but no Brandy from Storage Wars.

Normally I do NOT objectify women, but I would agree. While I don't agree with Storage Wars too much (I do buy storage units from time to time); I watch the show for pure 'entertainment' value. Their retail valuations are WAY off in most cases and the show does NOT represent the storage auction scene all too well. Still...it is better than Auction Hunters.

'mint'

She a good looking women but no Brandi from Storage Wars.

Interesting. I don't watch either of the shows so I had no idea who you guys were talking about so I googled them both.

To me the American Pickers girl is better looking than Brandi from Storage Wars IMO.

I guess everyone has different tastes.