• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Junior Seau

68 posts in this topic

TBI can affect any aspect of behavior, which makes sense when you think about it. I think it's ridiculous for anyone here to judge these guys without understanding the extent to which their behavior is the result of taking too many shots to the head. To begin with, a professional athlete is already likely to be a more aggressive and impulsive personality; couple that with the pressure to perform, making crazy money at a young age, and the spotlight which comes with the job, and you have a recipe for disaster. To call these guys "weak" or "cowardly" is far too simplistic and judgmental, when it's likely that many of us wouldn't have fared much better in similar circumstances.

+1

Anyone taking heavy shots (football, boxing, MMA, et al) is going to have some serious problems. We were never designed to absorb that much punishment over a long period of time.

Head injuries do strange things to people. A guy I work with played college football and he sustained sixteen concussions during his playing time. He told me he used to wake up in places and not remember how he got there. He was forced to stop playing.

I got tossed from the bed of a pickup once and cracked my melon right on the concrete. I have no clue what happened over the next six or so hours until I came to at a gas station where a friend of mine worked at night - he thought I'd dropped some shrooms. Friends from that time have commented that I was not quite the same person after that night.

As for shooting yourself in the chest as a way to commit suicide, you're more likely to live than you are from taking a shot at your head. The reason some people live through self inflicted gunshots to the head/mouth shots is due to hesitation.

RIP Seau.

RIP Junior Seau--and I'm a die-hard UCLA Bruin fan! You made life difficult for us Bruin fans, but that's the way a true rivalry shoud be. May God be kind to you up in heaven; I know I'll be when I get there.

Tis Grace that taught my heart to fear

Twas Grace my fears relieved

How preceious does that Grace appear

The hour I first believed

"John Newton"

What a selfish act. For as strong as he was on the outside, he was obviously a weak man on the inside. For whatever issues he had, he took the cowardly way out. No pity for him at all... only to those who cared about him did he hurt and passed his problem onto others.

:doh:

While suicide can SOMETIMES (although honestly it is rarely so simple a motivation) be an act described above, it can also be something that does not reflect any selfishness at all. I obviously do not know the man (and therefore would not hazard a guess as to his motivation), but I can tell you as someone who has worked professionally with the full spectrum of those with mental illness that there are other possibilities at work that you may want to consider before laying judgment on someone.

For example, TBI (especially to the frontal lobe of the brain) can profoundly inhibit impulse control. Pair this with a Major Depressive Disorder and it is a lethal combination. Additionally, a number of psychotropics have been found to lead to suicidal ideations/behaviors. Anyway, I got the sense that this post came from a perspective of limited information regarding the potential etiologies/basis of self-injurious behaviors and felt like I should toss some info in the ring.

What a selfish act. For as strong as he was on the outside, he was obviously a weak man on the inside. For whatever issues he had, he took the cowardly way out. No pity for him at all... only to those who cared about him did he hurt and passed his problem onto others.

Selfishness, weakness and cowardice are likely not the culprit. Mental illness as a result of consistent and profound traumatic brain injury likely are. Sorry about all your anger focused like a laser at someone you never met. :(

I read on, and realize that Sean made my point much more succinctly. Well said my friend :foryou:

As someone who has experienced suicide ideations--and not afraid to admit it-I have been told that it is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I only wish he could have found the help that is available to all. I'm not sure if the NFL provides lifetime health benefits, but if the league does, I so wish he made use of the facillities. I know I did. It wasn't fun, but it saved my life.

SLR

And Ryan Leaf is still alive, kicking and robbing houses for prescription painkillers. Unfortunate.

He's clearly got his own demons.

If you mean he's surrounded by people who tolerate his behavior, and continue to enable him to be an unproductive member of society who puts other people in danger with his repetitive self-destructive actions, then yes. He has his own "demons".

You know this specifically? Or are you just making the easy assumptions?

This guy ruined a promising football career, and ended up with an addiction to prescription painkillers. He ended up on probabtion, working in his hometown of Boise, far from the bright lights.

I can still picture his rant towards a heckler at a Chargers' training canp scrimmage. Not normal behavior at all. Mental illness ruins lives in many ways.