• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr. @ Vegas Hard Rock Cafe - May 4-6, 2012

95 posts in this topic

Awesome stuff Jake! I like them both.

Now you just need some Klaus Janson inks and maybe some Laura Martin colors and turn them both into masterpieces. :cloud9:

I just got back from this event. JR JR did a Kick Azz, Hit Girl, and a Hulk for me. I’m really happy with the sketches, and cannot wait to get them back from CGC. I even went the route to fast track them.

The Romita’s where great to speak too and a loving couple as well. I was a little intimidated to talk directly to JR JR. Froze up like when my son met Robert Kirkman. doh!

Met the Owner Derrick from Comic Oasis very nice guy, he greeted me like he had known me forever. We talked about his shop a little. My LCS might have a little competition.

Met up with Chandler as well, he was great to work with. Nice as always, shook my hand as soon as he saw me, even called me by my name. As always no complaints and transactions went smoothly. I will most definitely continue doing business with DWC.

Just a big thank you to all who were involved, the whole experience went smoother than what I expected. I am hopping they do another one of these events in the near future.

Hulk! :o

Pics please! :popcorn:

Im gonna have to load it when I get them back from CGC. I totally forgot to pull out my cell and take some pics. Sorry.

Always happens, I get too excited and just forget to take pics lol

Awesome stuff Jake! I like them both.

Now you just need some Klaus Janson inks and maybe some Laura Martin colors and turn them both into masterpieces. :cloud9:

Hmm good ideas... I think I will leave my inked Spidey as is... that sketch is really awesome! The other two might need some inking and coloring at Phoenix...

I want to throw out thanks to everyone who helped me get my sketches, James, Chandler, RJ, JRJR and everyone helping with the event. I don't know how JRJR did it I was up for about 35 or so of the 50 hours... amazing guy.

Hulk! :o

Pics please! :popcorn:

Im gonna have to load it when I get them back from CGC. I totally forgot to pull out my cell and take some pics. Sorry.

Always happens, I get too excited and just forget to take pics lol

Tell me about it i had been thinking about taking pictures the whole 20 min drive to the strip from my house.

My buddy James lives in Vegas and I saw him there at the booth on the livestream. I thought to myself what luck! lol And I shot my buddy James (who is also and artist and gave JRJR a 11x17 that he had drawn of Spidey, JRJR is a class act guy he looked truly grateful for the piece) a text message and he was more than happy to work out the options for me and get me a sketch. Here is a photo of John with my sketch:

JRJR.jpg

That sketch is even more amazing in person. :headbang: John stopped taking requests like that later on and went back to "only" doing single character penciled head sketches because he just got too tired so congrats on an amazing and rare piece...

The event was awesome. So many great people out for a great cause. Jordan's dad was super cool and the grandparents were always nice to talk to. The staff at the Hardrock Cafe and those helping with the event were so friendly and had smiles the whole time despite being there nonstop. Major kudos to the dude with the mic in his hand. His voice was going out by the time it was all over.

Chandler deserves a big hand for this one. :golfclap: He was there for so long and probably for most all of the last 24 hours as well. This wasn't really about getting books done for CGC SS and it definitely was not any sort of focus at the event. It really was about raising as much as possible for Jordan and to support John's attempt at breaking the record.

And speaking of JRJR, what a nice and humble guy! He really appreciated anyone who showed up to support the cause and seemed to have no clue just how in awe most of us fanboys were of him. I know this couldn't have been easy to do and I feel lucky to have been a part of it because it sounded like this would be the last time. :(

If you watched the stream then you probably saw me and Jasmine there at some point,lol. We drove all night from Northern California and were the 1st in line at around 9am. I made a "large" donation for a few special requests and was so very happy with the way the pieces came out. Later I went gambling and won some more money so I brought it back to the event and donated it for another cover. John was really happy that we would do that and knocked a double figure AvsX out of the park for me. :o

Here are some of the books I had done(I forgot to take pics of a few). I should mention that the double figures and some of the larger, more detailed sketches were done for an extra donation (just so nobody thinks I got more for less or they didn't get what they should)....

photo11-1.jpg

photo7-3.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

photo5-3.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo8-1.jpg

photo6-2.jpg

I was exhausted from going to the midnight showing of Avengers, and only sleeping about 3.5 hours before going to work. After work, decided to take a 3 hour nap to recharge and wait for traffic to die from LA to Las Vegas. Left around 8 PM, got to Vegas aroudn 12:20, and waited in line. I wanted a more elaborate piece, so I decided to wait till everyone in line to be done, which was surprisingly long at 1 AM. By the time it was 2:30 it was finally done and I got to ask John if he would do the two pieces I wanted. We agreed on a price, and while doing the drawings, I got to talk with John, Jordan's parents, and just hang out. It was very fun, very intimate event and John was a true class act. After that, drove back to LA without sleep to take in FCBD. My body paid for it, but worth it.

Here are my 2 beauties:

OH__Page_2.jpg

CAF Cap

OH__Page_1.jpg

CAF Avengers

Definitely overspent though. But it was for such a great cause. JR JR was definitely amazing to watch. I can't believe he lasted 50 hours. True champ.