• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SPIDER-MAN # 1 SILVER CGC 10.0 GEM

17 posts in this topic

Do you think you will break the GP high price of $1031.00?

My guess with the movie hype you will come close = $950.00 + change

Good luck busting a grand though! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Good luck busting a grand though! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Thank you for your kind sentiments Aces!!! thumbsup2.gif Honestly (and this may sound lame,) boo.gif I have learned its best to not have any expectations. There have been auctions where I was so sure or excited about and they did not even come close to my anticipated selling price.

You may recall another recent extraordinary auction that I ran which featured a three pack all CGC 9.8 WP for Uncanny X-Men 248, 266, 268. It was not looking good until two bidders came in at the very end and had a true battle. The ending price was definitely much more than I thought. Same case here, the only chance I have for this thing to really make any run at the GP high price is if two people really want it, since I did not set a reserve on it. popcorn.gif

bump --

Just busted the 1,000 mark on my counter on this thing. Thanks for the e-mails and nice sentiments on this slab folks.

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

How many people are watching the auction? gossip.gif

And if someone wants a raw 9.4 check my auctions.

*Shameless plug* hi.gif

There are only 93 "watchers." I thought there would be more. Hoping for a nice climactic ending this Sunday!!!!!!! BTW -- thanks for the helpful info in your PM thumbsup2.gif

93! 893whatthe.gif

That sounds like a lot! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Why would you sell your 10.0's. This black cover is awsome and a true collectible in this condition given there may never be another one in this print run.

I only buy slabs when I have to consign, trade, or "watch" them. This may sound odd, but I will often buy a high grade slab for myself and put it in my kitchen or living room and just stare at it for days on end. Eventually after weeks or months, when the utility wears off, I will sell it. Do not get me wrong, CGC is an outstanding business and the service they provide for us collectors and the comics marketplace in general is crucial on so many levels. Even now, I still feel like a kid around X-Mas time if I am expecting a shipment back of slabs from CGC. But I have collected raw comics since the late 1970's so I am completely comfortable with my raw collection and the ability to accurately "grade" a raw book and so are many others who have dealt with me.

To give you a little background on your question as to "why" sell a CGC 10.0 slab and to tie in Valiantman's link/post; at one point in time recently only 4 of these existed in the universe. Believe it or not, my network was such that during a two week period, between eBay and side deals, I could have acquired 3 of the 4. Instead I decided to only get one.

You have to also keep in mind here the number of submissions on this comic. Its well over 1000!!! This is huge and still makes my GEM grade very unique and rare. Many times you will see an auction where a CGC 9.8 is the highest grade and only 7 exist, but than again, if you look at the total submissions count, it might only be 55 or 120. Its purely a matter of numbers and supply in this regard. This collector's edition was also trashed by that cheap promo plastic it came wrapped in. If you have this book and have kept it sealed in wrap all these years, if you send it into CGC, count on a 7.5/8.0 slab coming back to you. At this point in time, with the movie peaking interest, I just think its a good time to play some musical chairs.

I appreciate you chiming in jduran1 on this thread and taking time out of your day to peek at my auction. Thank you!!!!

Good luck busting a grand though!

My guess is it probably won't hit $1,000. I offered a CGC 10.0 w/ white pages of this book to Forum members in the marketplace a week or so ago for $800 and didn't get a single PM. My guess is though, with the movie coming out this should at least match or beat the GPanalysis average. And if two people come along who really want the book, who knows.. Its not like there are that many CGC 10.0s to choose from.

Good luck with the auction. Hopefully it will finish real strong 893crossfingers-thumb.gif