• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the 9.something debate!

3 posts in this topic

After contemplating pre-screening, I am still a little dubious(???). I have a OSGG, but it's I'm still not confident.

I'd be looking at submitiing several hundred moderns (80s stuff, not the ultra-modern) looking for 9.6 or above. Sticking with 9.6, what should I NOT see on the comic anywhere?

I know the obvious, tears, creases, folds, rippling etc. But lets say we are looking at a bunch of books that after brieft inspection (front and back) the look pretty damn tight with no flaws. What should I be looking closely for?

After contemplating pre-screening, I am still a little dubious(???). I have a OSGG, but it's I'm still not confident.

I'd be looking at submitiing several hundred moderns (80s stuff, not the ultra-modern) looking for 9.6 or above. Sticking with 9.6, what should I NOT see on the comic anywhere?

I know the obvious, tears, creases, folds, rippling etc. But lets say we are looking at a bunch of books that after brief inspection (front and back) the look pretty damn tight with no flaws. What should I be looking closely for?

Watch the edge of the spine at the fold. Some moderns have heavier cover stock and there can be color loss. More than a tiny amount of this is out. Spine corners should also lack wear. No color loss, and avoid bindery corners. Staples should be centered, and watch for tiny abrasions around the staple holes.

It should be completely clean. White areas white, no ink transfer from laying around unprotected. Should be flat with no curve, no spine roll. Colors should be bright. Compare to a book just off the shelf today.

A Modern 9.6 should basically have no defects in the traditional sense. Maybe just a couple of exceedingly minor incidents of wear.