• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help with ideas for my X-Men HC Project

12 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I'm going to Heroes Con in NC at the end of June. I'd like some suggestions for a project I want to start on.

First, if I may digress with short story. My unit is on GRF "global response force" status, which means we have to stay within a 100 mile radius unless we request a millage pass.

When I filled out my pass request, in the comments section of the cover page I wrote, "To go to nerd convention" and a drew a head sketch of Spider-man. My Commander brought it out to the 1SG and he looked utterly confused. "Did he.... draw a picture of Spider-man on this??" He looked like he wanted to be mad about it, but just couldn't. He ended up signing it, so that's all that mattered to me. lol

OK, so the project. Boardie "Park" sent this to me as part of the holiday raffle we had early this years. It's a very large, leather bound X-Men hard cover that's sort of an XM history book.

I thought it would be cool to collect signatures and sketches. And when I say sketches, I mean full blown commissions! I haven't measured it but it's quite large, and there's plenty of blank pages for that.

My initial intent is to collect every signature I can from anyone who's ever had credits in an X-book.

- Should I stick with that idea or only allow the bigger names to sign it?

- Who are the top 10 names associated with the X-Men? Stan Lee and Chris Claremont stick out, but who else?

Next, here's the guest list for HEROES.

http://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/guests/

I'm considering getting Stuart Sayger to do something, perhaps on one of the black pages. From an aesthetic standpoint I LOVE his style and I think it would look great in the book! But to my knowledge he's never been published in X-Men so it would break from the them. He's reasonably priced and he seems to be very obtainable.

Go for Stuart? Mark Brooks is another great artist that stands out to me, and he keeps with the X-Men theme. But I can't seem to locate him, I don't know his prices, or how hard it is to get something from him.

coverxm.jpg

page2xm.jpg

page1xm.jpg

page3xm.jpg

page4xm.jpg

I don't know who is at heros, but you asked for a top ten list of names.

Marc Silvestri

The Kuberts

Neal adams

byrne

These are people who I would never leave off my sig list.

Oh yeah... Some dude.... Jim Freakin Lee.

When I think X-men, I think these guys.

A few points/ comments

1) do what makes you happy

The rest I will answer as if I was doing this project -

2) Stuart does not fit the theme

For the book I would do ethier

A) leave 1 set of open pages for any writer/ artist sigs (anyone that has done x-men work) and do your commissions other pages

Or

B) get as many x-men related sigs and quick sketches as you can -

Personaly I would go with b

Cool idea - let us know the results

I don't know who is at heros, but you asked for a top ten list of names.

Marc Silvestri

The Kuberts

Neal adams

byrne

These are people who I would never leave off my sig list.

Oh yeah... Some dude.... Jim Freakin Lee.

When I think X-men, I think these guys.

Add

Dave Cockrum

Joe Mad

Grant Morrison

Frank Quitely

If you want to collect sketches in it, I would suggest smaller head sketches, instead of the full blown commissions. You would have to leave the book with the first artist, then hope that the artist will finish in time for you to get it to the second artist (provided that the artist will accept to the commission out of order of their sketch/commissions list).

Depending on how detailed they draw, it could prevent you from getting the book over to many other artists that you were planning on getting commissions done by.

Sketches could be quicker, done on the spot, and allows you to collect more sketches.

If you want to collect sketches in it, I would suggest smaller head sketches, instead of the full blown commissions. You would have to leave the book with the first artist, then hope that the artist will finish in time for you to get it to the second artist (provided that the artist will accept to the commission out of order of their sketch/commissions list).

Depending on how detailed they draw, it could prevent you from getting the book over to many other artists that you were planning on getting commissions done by.

Sketches could be quicker, done on the spot, and allows you to collect more sketches.

Would also be inexpensive and you can use the extra cash on commissions and sketch covers. :)

Good points, Jason. I would like at least want one full blown commission in it, and there's tons of room to do both. This is a long term, even life long project :)

But that is a good thing to keep me occupied until I can get just the right commission. I guess I need to be patient.