• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on ASM 14

36 posts in this topic

My current "attainable dream book" is ASM 14. Recently its sold on ebay for 1000-1200 in CGC/CGG 8.0.

I'd be hoping to get it around 9.0 raw, CGC if I have to, so we're looking at, what, 2000, 1800? What's everyone's thoughts on value of the book? I can't help to think it over-valued as quickly as its gone up.

You will be hard pressed to find a 9.0 for anywhere near $2000. That's the going price for 8.5s. 9.0s usually go for $3,000 or more. If you get a raw 9.0 for less than that, you're probably buying an overgraded 8.5 or 8.0.

Is it really going up in VALUE?

GPAnalysis info more CGC 9.0.

July 2002 $3,100

By October 2002 four copies sold for an average price of $2,245

May 2003 two copies sold for an average price of $2,163

Last sale in Frebuary 2004 is for $2,300

Is THAT really going up in VALUE? Even buying at the May low, that's barely a 6% increase.

You will be hard pressed to find a 9.0 for anywhere near $2000. That's the going price for 8.5s. 9.0s usually go for $3,000 or more. If you get a raw 9.0 for less than that, you're probably buying an overgraded 8.5 or 8.0.

Last CGC 8.5 sale was March 2004 for $1,552.

July 2002 $3,100

Is THAT really going up in VALUE? Even buying at the May low, that's barely a 6% increase.

I was just going by the greater than average percentage rise in Overstreet prices. Dunno numbers, just noticed it leaping forward pretty fast. When I do have the cash, I'd be pretty happy I think getting a slabbed 9.0 14 for 2000-2300, and a G-VG reader for 150-200 to keep it company.

July 2002 $3,100

Actually, the last sale last month (ComicLink) was for $2,600 for a CGC VF/NM 9.0 with OFF WHITE pages (one PQ stage above the disastrous C-OW). There is also a CGC 8.5 with white pages on ComicLink that has a bid (not accepted) of $2,250. There is a raw 9.0 on ComicLink being offered for $4,200, but that's just nuts. But for a 9.0 with white pages and good print mechanics, I'd happily pay $3,000. Hell, I'd whip that sucker up so fast your head would spin.

[i was just going by the greater than average percentage rise in Overstreet prices. Dunno numbers, just noticed it leaping forward pretty fast. When I do have the cash, I'd be pretty happy I think getting a slabbed 9.0 14 for 2000-2300, and a G-VG reader for 150-200 to keep it company. /quote]

Quick lesson:

Overstreet does not equal reality in the marketplace. Watch GPA and Ebay for far more accurate current values.

Quick thought:

The book is common, even in high grade.

the book is over rated. gossip.gif

Says you. It's my favorite comic book in the whole world. 893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree with Pimpy. The goblin hasn't been a relevant character in the Marvel mythology for how long...? 30 years? And even then, he was exlusively a "Spidey" villain, making little or no impact on the Marvel universe as a whole (unlike a Thanos, or Doom).

Besides, finding a solid VF or nicer copy of that book is uber easy.

So really, whats the attraction?

Says you. It's my favorite comic book in the whole world. 893censored-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

I agree with Pimpy. The goblin hasn't been a relevant character in the Marvel mythology for how long...? 30 years? And even then, he was exlusively a "Spidey" villain, making little or no impact on the Marvel universe as a whole (unlike a Thanos, or Doom).

Not a relevant character for 30 years? Have you been reading Spider-Man? Come on. Gobby is Spidey's #1 villain of all time, and thanks to the movie, is the most recognizable Marvel villain of all. If he's unimportant, why do you think they put him in the very first Spider-Man movie????

If your three primary missions in life are to fall in love, have kids and own nice copies of every issue of ASM...

If your favorite character, hands down, is Spider-Man, and its commonly accepted that Green Goblin is historically his greatest foe whether he's relevant now or not...

If you consider 39/40 and 121/122 to be THE most classic Spidey stories that don't involve his origin...

maybe you'd understand the attraction to #14. makepoint.gifsmile.gif