• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

small holes in back cover - highest grade possible

2 posts in this topic

Thought I'd post this here. I would post this in the PGM sub-forum, but I don't have a scanner.

I have a really nice copy of DD 168. Corners are sharp and there is one small NCB crease on the spine. The biggest defect of the book is on the back cover. There are two small holes in the center of the back cover. Each hole is around 1mm in diameter and they are about 2-3mm apart. It was disclosed when I bought it, and the dealer believed that the holes were caused by something at the printer. I was happy with the price he gave me and have no regrets.

Was considering getting Stan to sign it at HeroesCon, but I'd like to get an idea of how much of a hit the grade would take with the holes on the back cover. Anyone have any experience or willing to give me a conservative guess at a possible grade based solely on the holes on the back cover?

I have a really nice copy of DD 168. Corners are sharp and there is one small NCB crease on the spine. The biggest defect of the book is on the back cover. There are two small holes in the center of the back cover. Each hole is around 1mm in diameter and they are about 2-3mm apart. It was disclosed when I bought it, and the dealer believed that the holes were caused by something at the printer. I was happy with the price he gave me and have no regrets.

Was considering getting Stan to sign it at HeroesCon, but I'd like to get an idea of how much of a hit the grade would take with the holes on the back cover. Anyone have any experience or willing to give me a conservative guess at a possible grade based solely on the holes on the back cover?

Pics would help. But it really doesn't matter who you (or the seller) caused the holes, they are a defect, unless that specific defect appears in X% of the issues submitted for grading. I've seen quite a few 168s and don't recall seeing that defect before. In general a defect like this would impact the grade in light of the overall grade of the book. In a HG book as you have seemed to indicate, the hit would at least be a half a point, and more likely a full point. It's not counted like another normal wear and tear defect, e.g. a spine crease or tiny corner crease. You've got HOLES in the back cover. It's better than a stain, and more equivalent to a small tear.

As you have no regrets, do what your gut tells you to do. :foryou: