• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maus

23 posts in this topic

"something along the lines of Animal Farm"

Not really. This is without a doubt one of the most important and superbly fashioned narratives ever attempted in comics, and the only comic book novel to date to win (and justly so) the Pulitzer Prize. There isn't enough room or time to go into how much of an achievement MAUS is as comic book literature, or just literature in general. I teach it every year in my comic book lit. class and it's the centerpiece of the semester, no question. I discover new facets in it every single year.

Arnold

hm I'm going to have to check this out...

my wife is teaching it this quarter at MSOE in a literary genres course.

we were just talking about this.

you are correct to note that there are two volumes. the first volume came out in 1986 (serialized as mini comics inserted into RAW Magazine, per ComixWiz), and the second one in 1991. it won a special Pulitzer prize in letters in 1992, so it is oft cited as THE graphic novel that moved comics to literature.

its a great read, fascinating. hard to believe Vladik burned Anna's memoirs & thus represents the only voice... one can only wonder what the work might have been???

Maus has well documented origins in underground comix, with a 3-page Maus story in Funny Aminals (c72) and then the Prisoners From Hell Planet story from Story Order Comix #1 (c73). this story appears in the second book and breaks abruptly from the beast fable that defines the rest of the TPB.

did not someone from these boards do a signature series FUNNY AMINALS with both Crumb and Spiegelman signatures?

:whatev: