• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage May Art Auction Results Thread

159 posts in this topic

I agree with this 100%. In my focus areas, I've witnessed prices of interior panel artwork continue to increase, while the "good" stuff remains unavailable. And I've also seen a lot of new blood as well. :)

I definitely agree on this. There hasn't been much movement in a lot of the higher end work, but there's a lot of "low end" material available. It just takes patience to get those things that aren't out there... Lots of patience.

The new blood has made it interesting, heh. At least I've been able to get things at or below what I believe the FMV is on some of it. It's also much higher quality than some of the similar price ranged items available.

I think there has been an influx of collectors at the lower end that compete more fiercely and are driving up the lower end. At the same time the higher end collectors, by virtue of the price of entry, have had a less competitive time.

I think desirable lower end pieces have nowhere to go but up. At the higher end, I'm not so sure. Quality items will always be desirable. I just think the higher end pieces will rise at a slower rate.

I agree but for a more cynical reason. I think the "players" in the market have pushed the higher end pieces so high the rate of increase has to slow down. Once one artist or type of art has been pushed to it's limit, time to focus on something else you have large availability of and start pumping that.

Not a popular opinion I know but after seeing it happen over and over again for years I'm pretty convinced this plays a bigger part in prices than most think. I'm not saying it's the only reason one type of art suddenly has a popularity/price spike for a few years then tapers off but it definitely plays into it.

Of course the low end pieces are going to see greater price movement. From a % gain perspective, it's easier for a lower priced item to double in value, (i.e., $50 page to $100 page), than a high end item (i.e., $50,000 to $100,000).

Cheers!

N.

... I think the "players" in the market have pushed the higher end pieces so high the rate of increase has to slow down. Once one artist or type of art has been pushed to it's limit, time to focus on something else you have large availability of and start pumping that.

Not a popular opinion I know but after seeing it happen over and over again for years I'm pretty convinced this plays a bigger part in prices than most think. I'm not saying it's the only reason one type of art suddenly has a popularity/price spike for a few years then tapers off but it definitely plays into it.

Can't afford Kirby? How about a Buscema? Buscema becoming too expensive? How about a Don Heck? Still too pricey? How about an unpublished Don Heck? hm

Don't miss out on Bob Brown DD. If Frank Miller drew this page, it would cost thousands of dollars more. What does Frank Miller have to do with Bob Brown? Nothing. :sick:

yeah but conversely if a piece isn't very desirable it sometimes doesn't get any action at all. Mid grade 1969 silver age (printed comics) should be "easy" to double too, but it doesn't really work that way?

Perhaps the higher end money is just waiting for pieces to be wowed by.

At the end of the day the best pieces around lately, like a romita spidey cover for example, OK they are very nice but they aren't THE pieces, you know?

A really "wow" piece would bring really wow money, probably. Heck we may all be singing a different tune about high end pieces after the next Heritage auction, as there are some serious high end pieces available there, when it comes to 80s/90s art anyways.

I'd love to see a ditko spidey cover or a real early kirby SA marvel cover (JIM 89?) at auction... but we just aren't seeing that. Opinions will differ on how much of that stuff exists, and I'm no expert on it, but I have to believe that a reasonable chunk of it at least does.

Can't afford Kirby? How about a Buscema? Buscema becoming too expensive? How about a Don Heck? Still too pricey? How about an unpublished Don Heck? hm

Don't miss out on Bob Brown DD. If Frank Miller drew this page, it would cost thousands of dollars more. What does Frank Miller have to do with Bob Brown? Nothing. :sick:

(worship)

Can't afford Kirby? How about Marie Severin? Oh wait, I guess that ship has sailed:

Marie Severin TOA #93 Splash - $60K Sale Pending

Yeah that's the best severin I've ever seen. Never really thought I'd see Severin and 60k in the same sentence any time soon, but if a piece was going to do it, you can sort of understand that one being the one.

Yeah that's the best severin I've ever seen. Never really thought I'd see Severin and 60k in the same sentence any time soon, but if a piece was going to do it, you can sort of understand that one being the one.

Took the words out of my mouth.

I remember when the panel pages to that story were broken up several years ago and were garnering Kirby level numbers. So it's a shocking number and it really isn't. This story, that image, that issue....it's the one.

I wonder if the kirby surfer half splash sale at 150k played into this at all.

I'm thinking it was probably easier for the buyer/seller to rationalize in light of that sale

I wonder if the kirby surfer half splash sale at 150k played into this at all.

I'm thinking it was probably easier for the buyer/seller to rationalize in light of that sale

lol I bet that's right.

We've all done some insane rationalization to justify our purchases in this crazy- hobby.

Right... I can see it now...

SURE its severin but COME ON its a CLASSIC ISSUE, FULL splash, PROMINENT SURFER, and HULK too... this one has EVERYTHING and its actually LESS MONEY!!!!

that being said, I do like it. I'm not sure if I 60k like it, I'm pretty sure I don't ;) , but its nice and I like it more than I thought I would ever like a severin, who I'm generally not a big fan of.

Using OA Math, is the cover now a six figure piece? Six months ago, it would have been insane to even ask that question.

I think that particular cover was a six figure cover way before this auction. I'm usually way on the conservative side for pricing but I am a big fan of Severin and that is one of my favorites.

I remember when the panel pages to that story were broken up several years ago and were garnering Kirby level numbers.

Interesting, I did not know that, thanks

I remember when the panel pages to that story were broken up several years ago and were garnering Kirby level numbers.

Interesting, I did not know that, thanks

Yes, as I understand it, "new blood" came in and threw a ton of money around and then disappeared as quickly as he came on the scene. During his buying spree he tried to complete this story but couldn't get the splash out of the then current owner. He gave up and sold the remaining pages that he had acquired through Comiclink.

Using OA Math, is the cover now a six figure piece? Six months ago, it would have been insane to even ask that question.

I think that particular cover was a six figure cover way before this auction. I'm usually way on the conservative side for pricing but I am a big fan of Severin and that is one of my favorites.

This is one of the more shocking posts I've seen on this board in a long time! ;)