• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can you get art graded

24 posts in this topic

The only thing that you can get graded as far as art goes would be sketch covers done at a CGC event in the Signature Series category.

When you have loose pieces like you have, there is a significant issue when it comes to verifying that as well. I have not heard of any grading service for comic art (nor should there be in all probability).

If you're referring to things like....

Scans_Page_11.jpg

Then those are comics that are sold with blank covers / areas for artists to sketch something on (either at the convention or in a store). The CGC will slab & rate those if they attend the event and I'm sure there's a bunch of info on that. They don't slab sketches done on a comic boards / other media.

what about this posted over on CG? I've never seen anything like this. Can you still do it? Anybody know cost since it is just a cert with no grade?

125767.jpg

what about this posted over on CG? I've never seen anything like this. Can you still do it? Anybody know cost since it is just a cert with no grade?

125767.jpg

That's very interesting. I've never seen anything like it before.

One of the funny things that I've learned about CGC is that the plastic used is not acid free. So... you have to get any comic or item re-cased every 7 years. If you are so inclined to believe that it's in your best interests to seal art in plastic, be prepared to mail all those slabs in to CGC every 7 years...

As for my knowledge of these things- a CGC rep has to be at the event, as well as the artist, to verify the authenticity of the art & signature. So, they would not be of any help to someone looking to slab old sketches.

I just had someone slab a sketch cover I did for them. Weirdest thing ever. In my opinion, the owner of the sketch cover had 3 choices to get a sketch cover from me:

1. Spend money on the art, and money on the CGC grading (which he did. Very very nice guy)

2. Spend even more money on the art (instead of having it get slabbed) and have a better drawing with more work in it, but not incased in a plastic that has to be replaced every 7 years.

3. Spend money on the art, and instead of getting it slabbed- spend that money on candy.

4 BONUS ANSWER. and my choice: no art, all candy... or candy art? mmmmmm... candy.

I've also seen a sketch cover that I did get graded. I think it was a 9.2 or something. So... I guess I need to be very very careful while I draw these now?

It's so crazy nice when people buy sketches, but the CGC thing for art... and I'm talking art from ME (who's this guy?)...is a bit wacky.

Hey!

I've been a part of Nick's publishing team for over 10 years. I do books, DVD covers, Video game covers- that kind of stuff- for various Nick properties. The longest running properties over the years have been Dora & SpongeBob.

I'm also known for doing the art for a board game series called Zombies!!! that's been around for over 10 years.

So... Lots of Dora, and lots of Zombies... but never Dora as a zombie.

rats.

Thanks for looking up my work!

Hey!

I've been a part of Nick's publishing team for over 10 years. I do books, DVD covers, Video game covers- that kind of stuff- for various Nick properties. The longest running properties over the years have been Dora & SpongeBob.

I'm also known for doing the art for a board game series called Zombies!!! that's been around for over 10 years.

So... Lots of Dora, and lots of Zombies... but never Dora as a zombie.

rats.

Thanks for looking up my work!

I'm going to have to get something from you sometime. Throw something fun into the mix.

Aikins_CaptAm_SpongeBob.jpg

batbob.jpg

Cool! But to be totally honest, I don't tend to do commissions- mostly just bad sketches at conventions, or better pre-done sketches that I bring to shows. The ones above were for friends... if you search my name on CAF you get some of the most horrifying art ever done by a man sitting at a crowded table and totally sleep deprived.

and thankfully are not incased in plastic.

are you really a US Army Paratrooper? Cuz that makes a guy like me who draws Dora all day and never leaves the house much feel a bit silly...

Cool! But to be totally honest, I don't tend to do commissions- mostly just bad sketches at conventions, or better pre-done sketches that I bring to shows. The ones above were for friends... if you search my name on CAF you get some of the most horrifying art ever done by a man sitting at a crowded table and totally sleep deprived.

are you really a US Army Paratrooper? Cuz that makes a guy like me who draws Dora all day and never leaves the house much feel a bit silly...

Ha! I love your humor. Are you going to be at Heroes Con in NC?

Yes. I'm with 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg.

And here I was planning on getting a Sponge Bob to go with my SIMPSONS Commission :cry:

Time to bring back the NotSoNice .50cal :makepoint:

125785.jpg.37e15824809692e40d7ff141017dd4b6.jpg

Ha! I love your humor. Are you going to be at Heroes Con in NC?

Yes. I'm with 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg.

What a coincidence, my dumb sister managed to get her husband kicked out of Bragg!