• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America #255 splash inked by Joe Rubinstein.

4 posts in this topic

In 2007 I comissioned Joe Rubinstein to embellish an impressive Galactus drawing by Kirby which was only inked once by Mike Royer, but with altered shape.

This is the piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=287873&GSub=44762

The deal, as you can guess, was a disaster. Joe delivered 8 months later, and I was so pissed off that it took many months till I could enjoy it.

Many years later he tried to compensate the awful experience with a new piece, but under different conditions and a better price. I accepted only with the condition to pay AFTER the piece was finished.

This time the experience was completely different because he delivered in a very reasonable time frame and I paid nothing till I got a scan of the piece fully finished.

It looks like right now, with a helpful hand of Spencer Beck, he's going to work seriously on his undelivered comission list, so I hope he can fix all this mess, and he can get a second opportunity to build a good reputation.

I only want to suggest to anyone who wants to give Joe another opportunity that NEVER pay in advance, not even a small part. This is my opinion. I think that this would prevent that Joe gets in a mess again.

About the art, this is Joe inking Byrne's drawing of Captain America #255 splash. This issue was shot directly from the pencils and then Joe slightly retouched the stats. So this is not a recreation but real inking over a blue print, like it's done often nowadays.

The original art was in the open market for months and it was auctioned recently again in ComicLink.

I lettered it trying to give it an Artie Simek look, hope you like it. If someone is interested, I'm available.

byrnecapi255simeklow.jpg