• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a better way to get commissions done?

10 posts in this topic

I think there is. I've been in a couple "commission horror stories" myself and in fact have a couple still going on. And since I have been collecting OA I have heard the stories about commission paid for that just can't get done.

I think I have a partial solution. From the feedback I've received via PM/email I think the program has some merits and some of fine tuning needs to be done. But I wanted to get this out there and see what a larger cross section of the OA collectors have to say about it.

So, I present to you The NSNart Comic Art Commission Escrow Service. And idea I have had more quite a few years now, but never had the means to get it started. With the help of a good friend and business partner, we hope to bring an end to the horror stories that seem to plague the OA commissioning community all to frequently.

Your feedback is more than welcome(Like I need to ask the folks here for their opinions :baiting: )

I think that's a fantastic idea. If the commissions I had were large enough, I would use this every day of the week. As it stands I don't mind the risk of losing my couple hundred bucks on the off chance I get screwed.

Of course, I'm in the middle of one of the "horror" stories you mentioned, three years running, so maybe it's time for a change in attitude.

Just looking over the contract. Do you think you should have versions where the amount of time the artist has can be set? Or at least levels. For example, I personally don't even get the itch to check on commissions for 2 months.

A 60 day, 90 day, 120 day etc etc contract options would be a good idea, I think. Maybe add a couple bucks to the escrow service charge the longer the contract is because you have to hold the money longer. Just a thought.

It does seem strange to me that people are willing to put up all the money in the first place and hand over all the 'power' to the artist.

When I first started getting commissions I hadn't had any interaction with the OA collecting community at all and I just went about it the way I've dealt with other tradespeople in the past.

Though I suppose I'm a bit different in that all my commissions have been done on the inside of a book I own.

I just went about it in a common sense way. Contacted the artist, agreed content and price, waited for them to email me a pic of a rough, when we were both happy I'd send them the book to work in - book sent signed for so I'd know they received it. When they emailed a receipt confirmation I'd then send a deposit to start the work and from then they'd have a two week window to complete. When complete they send me a scanned pic for confirmation, I'd then send the rest of the money and they send the book.

I wouldn't even think of putting all the money up front, I mean you wouldn't pay a builder in total before he started work?

People put artists on pedestals too much I think.

Just looking over the contract. Do you think you should have versions where the amount of time the artist has can be set? Or at least levels. For example, I personally don't even get the itch to check on commissions for 2 months.

Thanks for your feedback. Each contract can be extended two months, twice, if both parties agree. Bringing the total time up to 6 months. My intent initially is to set up a finite time-frame, since it seems the major problem is the infinite deadline that never seems to arrive. So, every 60 days the contract is reviewed so either party can say, "You know what. I think I have changed my mind." And both walk away relatively unscathed.

A 60 day, 90 day, 120 day etc etc contract options would be a good idea, I think. Maybe add a couple bucks to the escrow service charge the longer the contract is because you have to hold the money longer. Just a thought.

I am in no way trying to tell anyone how they can do business. But, if an artist says, "I can have it done in 18 months." it would be better for all involved if he just said, "Contact me again in 12 months and we'll get this done."

But the reality is the collector wants to solidify the deal(i.e. lock the artist into a contract, verbal or otherwise.) and the artist wants to get paid.

It does seem strange to me that people are willing to put up all the money in the first place and hand over all the 'power' to the artist.

When I first started getting commissions I hadn't had any interaction with the OA collecting community at all and I just went about it the way I've dealt with other tradespeople in the past.

Though I suppose I'm a bit different in that all my commissions have been done on the inside of a book I own.

I just went about it in a common sense way. Contacted the artist, agreed content and price, waited for them to email me a pic of a rough, when we were both happy I'd send them the book to work in - book sent signed for so I'd know they received it. When they emailed a receipt confirmation I'd then send a deposit to start the work and from then they'd have a two week window to complete. When complete they send me a scanned pic for confirmation, I'd then send the rest of the money and they send the book.

I wouldn't even think of putting all the money up front, I mean you wouldn't pay a builder in total before he started work?

People put artists on pedestals too much I think.

James, thanks for your reply. Not everyone needs the service. It sounds like your system is working great for you. And not every artist needs the service either.

But, until I quit seeing collectors posting that "Artist "A" hasn't done my commission in XXmonths, and I paid him in full already." They either need to speak to me or you :grin:

This is a great idea whose time has come.

Thanks for putting this together. It is sorely needed. :applause:

Of course, I'm in the middle of one of the "horror" stories you mentioned, three years running, so maybe it's time for a change in attitude.

Rubenstein? Seinkewicz? Golden? (shrug)

Rubenstein? Seinkewicz? Golden? (shrug)

haha, no. I don't know whether this makes it better or worse, but it's a much lesser known artist. On one hand, if I never see my money again I'm only out $180, so worse things have happened. On the other, it makes me more apprehensive to commission the more well known, expensive artists.

With this escrow idea, however, all fears would be alleviated. I thought about this all day at work today. It really is a great idea and I will probably use this in the future.