• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Avengers 2D or 3D ?

The Avengers 2D or 3D ?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. The Avengers 2D or 3D ?

25 posts in this topic

Taking the family to see The Avengers tomorrow. I enjoy a good 3D movie but I HATE paying extra when the 3D is not worth it (especially when I'm paying for 5)

For example, I thought Thor was great, but I wished I had just gone to the 2D version because I thought the 3D aspect of the movie sucked.

SO, is The Avengers 3D worth it?

The Spider-man trailer is kind of blah in 2-D. It's a completely different experience in 3-D. That alone makes 3-D the way to go.

It really depends on what theater format you're watching it in, not just 2D or 3D.

I prefer the Cinemark xD theater over an IMAX one because in an IMAX theater the screen is sometimes too big and it's difficult to follow everything going on on-screen.

There are technical differences as well. IMAX uses a dual projection system that forms the 3D image and if you tilt your head in certain directions, say to take a drink of your soda, then you can get ghosting from the image. With the Cinemark xD system, it uses a single projector with much higher resolution of a standard projector and you do not get ghosting when viewing at different angles.

Also bare this in mind, most post-production 3D movies (such as this one) will force your focal point to specific things on screen whereas you don't have this forced focal length typically in high end digital 2D film unless it is intended. From a photography perspective this is called a gaussian blur which is intentional focus length blur on an image to draw your eyes to the focused subject.

In this film, most of the time, to achieve the proper 3D effect the forced focal point is on whichever actor is speaking leaving the foreground and background characters slightly out of focus.

It really depends on what theater format you're watching it in, not just 2D or 3D.

I prefer the Cinemark xD theater over an IMAX one because in an IMAX theater the screen is sometimes too big and it's difficult to follow everything going on on-screen.

There are technical differences as well. IMAX uses a dual projection system that forms the 3D image and if you tilt your head in certain directions, say to take a drink of your soda, then you can get ghosting from the image. With the Cinemark xD system, it uses a single projector with much higher resolution of a standard projector and you do not get ghosting when viewing at different angles.

Also bare this in mind, most post-production 3D movies (such as this one) will force your focal point to specific things on screen whereas you don't have this forced focal length typically in high end digital 2D film unless it is intended. From a photography perspective this is called a gaussian blur which is intentional focus length blur on an image to draw your eyes to the focused subject.

In this film, most of the time, to achieve the proper 3D effect the forced focal point is on whichever actor is speaking leaving the foreground and background characters slightly out of focus.

Thanks for the post (thumbs u If we see the 3D, it will not be an IMAX theater.

So far the voting looks neck and neck. Thank you everyone for posting/voting (thumbs u

It really depends on what theater format you're watching it in...

I noticed the peripheral ghosting effect while watching Green Lantern on a standard cinema 3D screen last year, but not at all with the Marvel films.

It really depends on what theater format you're watching it in...

I noticed the peripheral ghosting effect while watching Green Lantern on a standard cinema 3D screen last year, but not at all with the Marvel films.

Yes, some theaters are using dual projection in a standard sized theater still so you will sometimes see the ghosting.

So far the voting looks neck and neck. Thank you everyone for posting/voting (thumbs u

I've watched it in both and you can't see some of the detail in 3d. Couldn't see the Skrulls on the side of the big flying thing in 3d but you clearly see them hanging on the sides in 2d.

2d for me for that reason.

I've watched it in both and you can't see some of the detail in 3d. Couldn't see the Skrulls on the side of the big flying thing in 3d but you clearly see them hanging on the sides in 2d.

2d for me for that reason.

I'm saving the 2D for home viewing. :busy:

2D....the extra $ to see it 3D isn't worth it IMO

I go on 'Bargain Tuesday' - only £2 (about $3) more than the 2D version, which is often relegated to a much smaller screen.  The glasses are the 'Real 3D' type -  very light, and not particularly uncomfortable when worn over a pair of spectacles.  In addition, the cinema only charges 80p (about $1-20) a pair, and I've reused mine for 5 films so far.