• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying expensive keys raw or cgc?

48 posts in this topic

FF 48, SS 1 and 4 are not expensive books unless higher grade. It really depends on what grade you're looking for. You may wind up paying a lot extra for a 5.0 slab vs. raw, for example (or might not, who knows?)

*Returns/partial refunds are available if a book is graded by CGC up to one year after purchase and is assessed at more than one point below the grade stated by Comicana Direct at the time of sale. In these circumstances, return shipping will also be refunded.

I'm a noob - Sorry, if I'm being obtuse here, but wouldn't you have to crack the slab to determine whether or not the CGC grade was incorrect? I thought once cracked the CGC grade would be invalid. - Just trying to learn...

What it means is that if you buy a raw book from me and I've graded it at, say, VF/NM (9.0), and you subsequently send it to CGC and it comes back a VF (8.0) or worse, I'll refund you the original purchase price, shipping both ways and your grading fee. (thumbs u

Ahh, ok I got it! doh!

Nice policy! I registered on your web site...

Thanks!

FF 48, SS 1 and 4 are not expensive books unless higher grade. It really depends on what grade you're looking for. You may wind up paying a lot extra for a 5.0 slab vs. raw, for example (or might not, who knows?)

I was looking for 6.0-8.0 range. Anything higher and the price starts to really soar.

When I was a n00b I bought a raw X-Men 94 VF from Samco (bad seller) on eBay. The comic was probably F/VF at best and had an undisclosed signature on the first page. From then on I buy my key books slabbed.

I had one of those. Someone named Jack Kirby lol

Just kidding. I wish!

I was looking for 6.0-8.0 range. Anything higher and the price starts to really soar.

In that grade range, I'd definitely remain open-minded regarding raw from a reputable source. (thumbs u

*Returns/partial refunds are available if a book is graded by CGC up to one year after purchase and is assessed at more than one point below the grade stated by Comicana Direct at the time of sale. In these circumstances, return shipping will also be refunded.

I'm a noob - Sorry, if I'm being obtuse here, but wouldn't you have to crack the slab to determine whether or not the CGC grade was incorrect? I thought once cracked the CGC grade would be invalid. - Just trying to learn...

What it means is that if you buy a raw book from me and I've graded it at, say, VF/NM (9.0), and you subsequently send it to CGC and it comes back a VF (8.0) or worse, I'll refund you the original purchase price, shipping both ways and your grading fee. (thumbs u

Ahh, ok I got it! doh!

Nice policy! I registered on your web site...

Thanks!

Thanks! :foryou:

In that grade range, I'd definitely remain open-minded regarding raw from a reputable source. (thumbs u

No doubt. Although at the 6.0-7.5 range, I would think the raw and slabbed prices are pretty close to same.

I had never had a restored comic book so picked one up in a auction to see for my self what cgc calls a slight color restoration ?

Well it turns out thier eyes are better than mine as for the life of me I cant find the color fix ?

Not sure I would trust a raw book of value with my lack of Expertise

Same here I have never been able to see any of the color touches on a purple label book but I am by no means an expert. My X-men 1 is purple color touch and I can't find anything.