• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying expensive keys raw or cgc?

48 posts in this topic

I'm collecting silver age comics, right now Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. I'm fine buying most issues raw, but now I'm contemplating moving up and buying some more expensive keys. Namely I want FF 48 and SS 1 and 4.

Would it be advisable to try and save a little money and buy these raw on eBay, or at this level should I only be buying graded copies?

Unless you have years of experience with spotting resto, it's in your best interest to buy them slabbed.

Yeah, I agree with everyone else.

The only exception being a seller who you know and trust that is a capable restoration screener and grader. Sellers like this are gold, and can save you a lot of money.

Im not an expert but i drove past a HOLIDAY INN today and i would say buy them slabbed takes the guess work out of it plus you buy raw and say you send it in and it get damaged on the way there your 6-7 just turned into a 3-4

I buy all my big keys slabbed. The way I see it, one bad buy on Ebay will negate all the money I would have ever saved on all my key books. So that's how I roll.

I'm collecting silver age comics, right now Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. I'm fine buying most issues raw, but now I'm contemplating moving up and buying some more expensive keys. Namely I want FF 48 and SS 1 and 4.

Would it be advisable to try and save a little money and buy these raw on eBay, or at this level should I only be buying graded copies?

There are many restored copies being passed off as unrestored and it is a minefield out there. That being said it really depends of the grade and value of the books. I prefer raw for any purchase under about $400.

If you prefer raw you'll find the boards a safer place to buy comics. Sellers here are much more likely to grade accurately and disclose resto than ebay.

I wouldn't buy them raw on eBay, unless it's from a stellar seller with a golden rep and a fool-proof returns policy.

Slabbed is overall the better way to go, but reputable dealers can also supply you the goods. (thumbs u

I keep turning up Silver Amazing Spider-man's that are restored. We are not talking about AF15 or ASM1... we are talking about 8, 19 and 22...

Almost all of my online purchases are slabbed.

I keep turning up Silver Amazing Spider-man's that are restored. We are not talking about AF15 or ASM1... we are talking about 8, 19 and 22...

In what sort of grades? Nose-bleed or wallet-friendly? (shrug)

Never, EVER buy raw on ebay. I'm certain almost every member on here has at least one horror story to share about the perils of buying raw on ebay. Only buy raw from dealers you know and trust...well known dealers at that. My suggestion, like everyone else here is, buy slabbed. (thumbs u

Never, EVER buy raw on ebay. I'm certain almost every member on here has at least one horror story to share about the perils of buying raw on ebay. Only buy raw from dealers you know and trust...well known dealers at that. My suggestion, like everyone else here is, buy slabbed. (thumbs u
I got an Action #27 listed as UNRESTORED which was restored about 8 years ago.

I'll echo slabbed first. However, there are a handful of dealers that I would trust buying a raw key from. Bob Storms (highgradecomics.com), Nick (Flaming Telepath, comicanadirect.com), Greg Reece (gregreececomics.com/) and Stephen Ritter at wwcomics.com. More than likely if the book is over a certain pricing threshold, the book will be slabbed, regardless.

In what sort of grades? Nose-bleed or wallet-friendly? (shrug)

8 turned out to be a 7.0 Purple Trimmed - (Although I may crack it and resubmit because I honestly cannot tell in comparison to other books)

22 -3.5 all three sides trimmed

14 -3.0 slight color touch

19 -5.0 slight color touch

6 -2.5 slight color touch

I have slowly been weeding them out of my collection and doing some serious upgrades. Two months ago I upgraded the 22 Purple 3.5 for a blue label 8.5. I also upgraded the 6 from the 2.5 purple to a blue 5.5.

Here is what I got...

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=35856 (I am going primarily for the first 100)

The only purple label I am keeping right now and have no plans on substituting is the 23 I have with slight color touch. The cover is bright white and looks perfect. Even with a slight color touch, at a 9.0 I cannot find the book in a more presentable copy.

I have only bought one key (AF15) raw. But it was low enough that I wouldn't have any surprises no matter what...and I bought from a boardie, not off eBay. The rest I have always bought slabbed that way I know what I am getting, for sure.

I have only bought one key (AF15) raw. But it was low enough that I wouldn't have any surprises no matter what...and I bought from a boardie, not off eBay. The rest I have always bought slabbed that way I know what I am getting, for sure.

When I graduated college I bought my first AF15 from Vincent Zurzolo before he started Metropolis. I always credit this guy for not shafting me. I was a kid, and did not know my buttox from my elbow when it came to restoration. The book came back a solid 1.8 Blue in what most people called the best 1.8 they ever saw.

When it came time to buy another copy I bought a 3.5 slabbed, again a beautiful copy.

The next one I pick up - hopefully a 5.0 will also be slabbed. I would rather spend a few extra thousand to make sure I know what I am getting rather than buy a raw copy and be horribly disappointed.