• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm sure this thread exists somewhere.....

111 posts in this topic

TMNT had the run of movies, the cartoon, the video games, the action figures, the comics, the t-shirts, the skateboards, the etc., etc. Sure, Walking Dead is WAY more popular than TMNT ever was. Sounds like a case of recency is infecting this place hard.

Yup. It's going to take a few years of TWD mania to come close to what Turtles have done. I was NEVER a turtles fan but even I can see how popular they've become.

The Turtles are to Comics what Gene Simmons is to Rock. One big marketing machine.

lol

GA - Action #1

SA - AF #15

BA - Hulk #181

CA - TMNT #1

MA - BONE #1

Bone #1 in CGC 9.8 is more expensive than WD 1.

Bone has kids currently reading it in school libraries so it's fan base is still growing. It's very popular, but tough to measure. Plus, the creator Jeff Smith wants to do a movie as well. When that happens...BOOM goes the dynamite and more speculators will take notice. lol

Walking Dead is certainly hot now, but WD #1 hasn't surpassed Bone 1 yet. 2c

More people have watched Walking Dead then read Bone. Bone is a great book, but Walking Dead is at a Lost iconic popularity status now.

I don't know about your 1st sentence. It's tough to measure Bone's readership. A lot of kids are reading it in their school libraries for free. So you can't just go by TPB sales either.

The WD season 2 finale did pull some crazy ratings. Plus, seasons 3 & 4 are going to pull the best source material from the comics. So who knows in the future? hm

But I still don't think WD #1 beats Bone #1. At least not yet.

I will even go farther then that and say not only does WD #1 beat Bone #1 but it has surpassed TMNT #1 and on the verge of passing Incredible Hulk #181.

Why?

Two different thoughts for each book.

Why Walking Dead #1 beats TMNT #1 is obvious is it is much hotter than TMNT ever was. We can be as nostalgic all we want for the 1980s, but TMNT was never as popular as the Walking Dead is right now.

Why Walking Dead #1 beats Incredible Hulk #181 is because of the supply and demand factor. Not only does Walking Dead #1 have a higher demand than Incredible Hulk #181, but even if the demand fell the one thing that makes Walking Dead #1 a better bet in the long run than Incredible Hulk #181 is the supply. Walking Dead #1 has a much lower print run than Incredible Hulk #181. :)

btw I like TMNT and Wolverine just like Walking Dead, and I have love for all three comics. :cloud9:

Just stating my business opinion about the three. :whistle:

Ninja Turtles each had their own Pez dispensers. Yes, each one, color coded like the cartoon. Walking Dead? No Pez dispenser.

We each have our own yardstick. :)

TMNT had the run of movies, the cartoon, the video games, the action figures, the comics, the t-shirts, the skateboards, the etc., etc. Sure, Walking Dead is WAY more popular than TMNT ever was. Sounds like a case of recency is infecting this place hard.

There was no internet when TMNT became big.

As I stated I love TMNT but they were or never will be as big as Walking Dead is now.

If they come out with a brand new TMNT movie it would do Green Lantern box office right now.

I will even go farther then that and say not only does WD #1 beat Bone #1 but it has surpassed TMNT #1 and on the verge of passing Incredible Hulk #181.

Why?

Why Walking Dead #1 beats TMNT #1 is obvious is it is much hotter than TMNT ever was. We can be as nostalgic all we want for the 1980s, but TMNT was never as popular as the Walking Dead is right now.

Why Walking Dead #1 beats Incredible Hulk #181 is because of the supply and demand factor. Not only does Walking Dead #1 have a higher demand than Incredible Hulk #181, but even if the demand fell the one thing that makes Walking Dead #1 a better bet in the long run than Incredible Hulk #181 is the supply. Walking Dead #1 has a much lower print run than Incredible Hulk #181. :)

btw I like TMNT and Wolverine just like Walking Dead, and I have love for all three comics. :cloud9:

Walking Dead will NEVER be as popular as Wolverine. How many kids know who Wolverine is? How many know what the Walking Dead is?

What if Season 3 of TWD stinks? What about when Kirkman decides he's written enough? When that series ends, that will be the end of it.

Roy said it near the beginning of the thread, Wolverine has 30+ years history. Walking Dead has 2 television seasons. How long do you think the TV series will go on? 3-4 more seasons? It's not going to be like the Simpsons and go on indefinitely.

I could say that most kids don`t read comic books anymore and that its the adults who drive the comic book market to make my Walking Dead argument stronger :grin:

I think you're just playing devil's advocate.

Maybe we could take a poll of the adult comic collectors here? Which book would you rather have (assuming you have neither):

WD #1 or Hulk #181?

Here's a meta question: at what point does the Modern Age stop being the Modern Age and become the, I don't know, Nickel Age or something? Maybe USM 1 becomes the primo Nickel Age key instead of being in the Modern debate (shrug)

As I stated I love TMNT but they were or never will be as big as Walking Dead is now.

If they come out with a brand new TMNT movie it would do Green Lantern box office right now.

This argumentation is of limited utility. There was no internet back then and yet my mom personally donated hundreds of dollars to the TMNT marketing machine over the course of several years. WD is a popular televsion show. Mork & Mindy was popular once too.

Why?

Walking Dead will NEVER be as popular as Wolverine. How many kids know who Wolverine is? How many know what the Walking Dead is?

What if Season 3 of TWD stinks? What about when Kirkman decides he's written enough? When that series ends, that will be the end of it.

Roy said it near the beginning of the thread, Wolverine has 30+ years history. Walking Dead has 2 television seasons. How long do you think the TV series will go on? 3-4 more seasons? It's not going to be like the Simpsons and go on indefinitely.

I could say that most kids don`t read comic books anymore and that its the adults who drive the comic book market to make my Walking Dead argument stronger :grin:

I think you're just playing devil's advocate.

Maybe we could take a poll of the adult comic collectors here? Which book would you rather have (assuming you have neither):

WD #1 or Hulk #181?

:)

It would not be a good poll because the majority of Walking Dead fans never heard of this board. It would be biased. I could say lets do a Hunger Games vs Deadpool poll and of course Deadpool would win here,but he wouldn`t win at the movie box office.

Actually for fun if you want to have the poll make it with TMNT,so TMNT #1,Hulk #181, and Walking Dead #1.

I am now curious what the results will be.

Walking Dead fans unite! :cloud9:

It would not be a good poll because the majority of Walking Dead fans never heard of this board. It would be biased. I could say lets do a Hunger Games vs Deadpool poll and of course Deadpool would win here,but he wouldn`t win at the movie box office.

Actually for fun if you want to have the poll make it with TMNT,so TMNT #1,Hulk #181, and Walking Dead #1.

Walking Dead "fans" are not buying Walking Dead #1's. Comic book collectors are.

TMNT #1 and Hulk #181 would pummel WD #1 in that poll.

Walking Dead "fans" are not buying Walking Dead #1's. Comic book collectors are.

If you have followed EBay this last month you will find that WD has pummeled

Wolverine and Turtles comic books.

You're taking a relatively small snapshot in time and comparing it to decades of pop culture. That's not going to help your argument.

The only way to see how popular TWD are in ten years is to revisit them in ten years.

How old are you? Were you old enough to know what was going on during the TMNT craze?

I was a teenager during the 80's and TMNT was WAAAAY more popular than WD is right now, not even close imo! I never really understood their appeal and still dont but there wasnt a single kid in my school that didnt have a TMNT lunchbox, shirt, shoes, toys and god knows what else.

You're taking a relatively small snapshot in time and comparing it to decades of pop culture. That's not going to help your argument.

The only way to see how popular TWD are in ten years is to revisit them in ten years.

But...the search function only goes back two years. So...in ten years we won't be able to find this thread.

Very sneaky... :)

How old are you? Were you alive in 1989? TMNT was on bedspreads, skateboards, curtains, foam soap, t-shirts, wallpaper, ice cream cakes, multiple video games. It had a cartoon, a feature film and a brand new comic series through Archie. TMNT action figures did million and millions in sales. Grandparents knew who TMNT were. TMNT became part of the entire US collective unconscious. 3 or 4 million people watch the Walking Dead on a cable show. I would be willing to bet the Neilsen rating on the afternoon cartoon was higher than that.

What you are saying about WD compared to TMNT is so wrong that there needs to be a word coined for uber-wrongness just to adequately sum up how wrong you are.

How old are you? Were you alive in 1989? TMNT was on bedspreads, skateboards, curtains, foam soap, t-shirts, wallpaper, ice cream cakes, multiple video games. It had a cartoon, a feature film and a brand new comic series through Archie. TMNT action figures did million and millions in sales. Grandparents knew who TMNT were. TMNT became part of the entire US collective unconscious. 3 or 4 million people watch the Walking Dead on a cable show. I would be willing to bet the Neilsen rating on the afternoon cartoon was higher than that.

What you are saying about WD compared to TMNT is so wrong that there needs to be a word coined for uber-wrongness just to adequately sum up how wrong you are.

The Usagi Yojimbo action figure sold 2 million units because it was associated with the TMNT line. I just want to put that out there.

This doesn't help your argument at all. The fact that TMNT became so popular without the internet should illustrate just how big it was. Imagine what TMNT #1's would have sold for if eBay existed back then. :o

I'm a huge WD fan. Been reading it and collecting it LONG before the TV show and hype. But it will never be as big as TMNT was then. When people who don't read the comics or watch the TV show can still name the WD characters & villians we can revisit this...

Again, this makes no sense. TMNT would do bigger box office numbers than a Walking Dead movie. TMNT has the kid factor, horror movies don't do monster numbers at the box office. Even the good ones.

I think you're confusing what's hot right now with the original question of the GRAIL book for each age.

Even if you could convince us WD is more popular than TMNT ever was, demand alone doesn't determine value.

Think of it this way, Batman is easily more popular than Superman, but Action #1 is clearly the GRAIL book of the GA over Tec. 27.

and easy response.

Tarzan,Lone Ranger and Flash Gordon all were on bedspreads, skateboards, curtains, foam soap, t-shirts, wallpaper, ice cream cakes, multiple video games. They had a cartoon, a feature film and a brand new comic series, yet if I would ask you if they were more popular than TMNT right now what would your answer be? hm

now fast forward after your done answering the TMNT equation then ask yourself the same question about Walking Dead,and you will find my reasoning for my Walking Dead answer!

I love nerd fights :slapfight:

;)

and easy response.

Tarzan,Lone Ranger and Flash Gordon all were on bedspreads, skateboards, curtains, foam soap, t-shirts, wallpaper, ice cream cakes, multiple video games. They had a cartoon, a feature film and a brand new comic series, yet if I would ask you if they were more popular than TMNT right now what would your answer be? hm

now fast forward after your done answering the TMNT equation then ask yourself the same question about Walking Dead,and you will find my reasoning for my Walking Dead answer!

;)

Those "kids" are dead now. Turtles kids aren't. Kids aren't into WD.

and easy response.

;)

Those "kids" are dead now. Turtles kids aren't. Kids aren't into WD.

So TMNT is the rule of 25 but

Tarzan,Lone Ranger and Flash Gordon are the rule of 75.

hm

and easy response.

;)

This is what you actually said:

So once we get away from your straw men, the issue, again, is whether the TMNT were ever as "hot" as WD is now. You can look at it in terms of terms of Q rating, merchandising dollars, amount of merchandise available, advertising placements, anything you want to look at and TMNT will win by a landslide. By a landslide

Toy Story was hotter than than WD. Cars was hotter than WD. Hell, Mulan was hotter than WD.

All of them are eclipsed by the TMNT phenomenon.