• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just because Stan Lee signs a book....

50 posts in this topic

I'm with you.

I don't know squat about OA, but it seems cheap for a one-of-a-kind concept drawing of Thanos.

A few things keep this price reasonable:

1. published work always goes for way more than non-published pieced. Concept art prices usually fall between process pages (layouts, rough sketches, outlines) and published pencil pages.

2. The page looks really roughed up, and condition is not usually a big factor, but this page has lots of bends, and a big creasing bend at the top.

3. (and I dont know this one) I wonder what size this page is. Wonder if it is full board, half board, or just a page out of a sketch/idea book. (decreasing its possible value)

Regardless, its cool. I'd need some provenance to spend $2k on a page that isnt published, where the value is in the story of it being Starlin's pre-publishing concept page that he used to pitch to marvel. Id probably want a letter typed up about the story signed off by Starlin...

yes, blackstar finally got neg'd! woohoo

His mcfarlane sigs forgeries have gotten much better, stan lee not so much.

I'm with you.

I don't know squat about OA, but it seems cheap for a one-of-a-kind concept drawing of Thanos.

A few things keep this price reasonable:

1. published work always goes for way more than non-published pieced. Concept art prices usually fall between process pages (layouts, rough sketches, outlines) and published pencil pages.

2. The page looks really roughed up, and condition is not usually a big factor, but this page has lots of bends, and a big creasing bend at the top.

3. (and I dont know this one) I wonder what size this page is. Wonder if it is full board, half board, or just a page out of a sketch/idea book. (decreasing its possible value)

Regardless, its cool. I'd need some provenance to spend $2k on a page that isnt published, where the value is in the story of it being Starlin's pre-publishing concept page that he used to pitch to marvel. Id probably want a letter typed up about the story signed off by Starlin...

I see. Thanks. Everything you mention makes sense.

I was curious to see if this guy ever made sales and the last 3 days have been good to him. He's actually made a few sales!

When you look past those three days, he only has 1 sale for the next 30 pages. lol

I guess he has made all the sales private so you can't see if any of his pillar items have sold... looks like the negative feedback was on raw comics only... on one response to a negative feedback about shipping being expensive he claims he lost $6 because of insurance :D I suppose this wasn't one of the books he was asking 10000% more than what it is actually worth as then he wouldn't care about $6 (maybe)...

I don't understand how he thinks he can charge all this money when some of his books are only CGC 8.0 (copper/modern) and have a sig yet he wants close to a $1000...

I too like the pillar in the picture cuz as soon as I see it I scroll to the next auction without giving it a second glance (maybe just a scoff)

Usually when you get to Stan's age there's not a lot to do except maybe try and wake up every day. Stan is enjoying his status as a living legend and consequently enjoys an immense sense of validation.

That he’s enjoying is status is true, and deserved.

The other part sounds like a deliberately disheartening look at life. :makepoint:

.....it doesn't turn to gold. I know it's his book and he can sell it for what he wants, but this is an absurd price. :ohnoez:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAN-55-CGC-SS-6-0-STAN-LEE-1ST-APP-THANOS-/251058573857?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3a7441d221

I brought this topic up about two weeks ago.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5767532&fpart=1