• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Walking Dead #50 (Superhero Variant Cover)

6 posts in this topic

Hey everyone and thanks in advance for checking this out.

So this comic is pretty awesome, with the exception of the top left corner. It's banged just a tad, it's a very small abrasion (I think I'm using that correct, forgive me but I'm still a bit of a newbie at comic grading). Even though it's very small, I know it will knock down the grade, how much though I have no idea. I hope not by too much, that would make sad. So I come to you fine folks to give me the hard, straight truth.

The comic itself, outside of the corner issue, is flawless. I've yet to see a comic this pristine in my own collection, and I really would love to get this one slabbed since I'm literally in love with the cover. This is by far my favorite cover of the series (I'm a sucker for superheroes, so having it show up in Walking Dead style just really got me attached).

Edit: I'm going to cut/paste what I wrote below to another poster.

The dent when looking on the backside which you see in the last picture, well, I'm sure everybody says this, but it looks a lot worse than it actually is. The picture close up sort of blurs it, making it look bigger than it really is, if you compare it to the whole back cover shot you can see just how tiny it really is. My phones camera happens to have a really good macro setting so I can get up close and personal, but it really is miniscule.

Also in the 3rd picture it looks like the crease actually caused ink to scrape but its just the light hitting the crease, all the color is still there.

Front Cover

ZhTAO.jpg

Back Cover

uUXlT.jpg

Top left corner (front side)

xwjug.jpg

Top right corner (back side - same corner)

gsdG8.jpg

This is awesome. I'm a WD fan (read all the books digitally and just picked up #33 - Michonne's revenge in print - NM). I'm relatively new as well, but I would say your book it an 8.5 to 9.0 depending in how bad that corner hurts the grade. Let's see what the others thing. Nice book though. - Ryan

This is awesome. I'm a WD fan (read all the books digitally and just picked up #33 - Michonne's revenge in print - NM). I'm relatively new as well, but I would say your book it an 8.5 to 9.0 depending in how bad that corner hurts the grade. Let's see what the others thing. Nice book though. - Ryan

Thanks! Yea like I said I literally fell in love with this cover when I first saw it.

The dent when looking on the backside which you see in the last picture, well, I'm sure everybody says this, but it looks a lot worse than it actually is. The picture close up sort of blurs it, making it look bigger than it really is, if you compare it to the whole back cover shot you can see just how tiny it really is. My phones camera happens to have a really good macro setting so I can get up close and personal, but it really is miniscule.

With the dinged corner and the 5 to 6 color breaking spine ticks and it looks like a couple of those spine ticks are creases. It also looks like one of the creases goes all the way through the comic. I'd say it would grade at a 8.0(VF) with a small shot at a 8.5(VF+) but it looks a lot closer to 8.0 then it does 8.5.

Overall it's a real nice looking copy and if I were you I'd keep it ungraded as the book would look a lot better bagged & boarded then it would in a 8.0 Slab.

With the dinged corner and the 5 to 6 color breaking spine ticks and it looks like a couple of those spine ticks are creases. It also looks like one of the creases goes all the way through the comic. I'd say it would grade at a 8.0(VF) with a small shot at a 8.5(VF+) but it looks a lot closer to 8.0 then it does 8.5.

Overall it's a real nice looking copy and if I were you I'd keep it ungraded as the book would look a lot better bagged & boarded then it would in a 8.0 Slab.

Yikes! Which photo are you seeing the 5 to 6 color breaking spine ticks? Pardon my ignorance too as I stated earlier, I'm still a newbie at grading, and am googling as much as I can on "spine ticks" so I can fully understand what you are referring to as well. Care to explain a spine tick to me in one brief sentence? (All the google results I'm fetching are forum posts where people are just mentioning seeing them). I just noticed that the 3rd picture also has some weird foreign looking thing right on the spine in the middle (under the dent about halfway down), but I think that's a crumb or something because it's definitely not on the comic now lol!

You also stated one of them looks to be going through the span of the entire comic, which one is this you're referring to (if you could note the picture and where in the picture)? Are the spine ticks all right around where the dent is? Or are they somewhere else along the spine? I ask because aside from the dented area, I don't see any flaw at all along the entire length of the spine as I'm holding it right now.

I'm not negating anything you say, I completely respect and trust what you guys say, I'm just questioning for my own newly forming knowledge :D

Spine Ticks are minor bends on the spine that are normally 1cm or smaller and they don't crease. Most of the spine ticks I see are on the back cover. Some of them seem to break color and couple of them look they they're creases and not spine ticks.

The one in the center of the book is the one that looks like it goes all the way through the book because you can see it on the back of the book and it's in the same spot on the front.

The pictures I see all of these flaws on are in the 1st 2 pictures.