• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing Thick Comics

10 posts in this topic

I have been storing all my recently acquired comics in 2mm silver age mylars. However, I've bought a few early Silver Surfers which are double sized 25 cent issues. When I put one of them into a mylar with a board, it doesn't fit well. The comic seems slightly too big, and when you place it down it doesn't lay flat, but pulls up slightly, which can't be good for the comic.

Anyone else have this problem storing thicker comics in Mylar? If so, how do you store those comics?

I trim the backing boards to allow the books to slide in and out with ease, and the book to lay flat.

Don't leave your books in a too small container.

Are you talking mylar snugs or mylite2s? Either way, trimming the edge of the backboard will help, unless the mylar itself is under-sized to begin with.

I trim the boards too. Those DC 100 pagers really fit snuggly, but not to the point of having the corners squished. I suppose I should go one size up and use the Mylars intended for GA books, but so far this has worked out OK for me using SA sized Mylars.

I have been storing all my recently acquired comics in 2mm silver age mylars. However, I've bought a few early Silver Surfers which are double sized 25 cent issues. When I put one of them into a mylar with a board, it doesn't fit well. The comic seems slightly too big, and when you place it down it doesn't lay flat, but pulls up slightly, which can't be good for the comic.

Anyone else have this problem storing thicker comics in Mylar? If so, how do you store those comics?

You can buy a pack of Golden Age mylars/mylite2s for the few Silver Age books that don't fit well in Silver Age mylars/mylite2s. I bought 100 Golden Age mylite2s and use them just for this reason (I have no Golden Age books).

Are you talking about the Silver/Gold Mylite 2s? I put all of my Marvel 25¢ giants into the S/G Mylite2s with a Fullback and they fit comfortably. In fact, this is the size I use for all of my book outside of the occasional Golden Age or Moderns for which I use the larger/smaller sizes.

I was using BCW Silver Age mylars. I tried the trimming the boards and that seemed to do the trick. It still fits pretty tight but lays flat now.

after buying 1000 gerber silver/gold mylites2 and fullbacks, i wont ever change. gerber all the way!

Are you talking about the Silver/Gold Mylite 2s? I put all of my Marvel 25¢ giants into the S/G Mylite2s with a Fullback and they fit comfortably. In fact, this is the size I use for all of my book outside of the occasional Golden Age or Moderns for which I use the larger/smaller sizes.

No, 800M2, Golden Age size. They are 1/4 of an inch wider than 775M2, Silver/Golden.

Just please don't ship under-sized books, like SA/BA in 800M2s - they travel around in those with the forces of shipping, and one book I ordered, an X-Men 9 VF, tore out of the mylite2, contacting tape, reducing it mightily in grade.