• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What year did Marvel stop using "cheap" paper for their books?

31 posts in this topic

In about 1993, IIRC, you had the option of buying issues with either type of paper stock. Nobody bought the newsprint versions, and they quietly went away. Vagoely I remember it being around the Joe Mad time on Uncanny, in the 310-320 issue range, but 20 years may have clouded my memory.

I had quit collecting in the early 90's (like many others) but you really had the option of what type of paper the comic was printed on? Were they priced differently?

Yes. The basic version went to newsstands, and direct accounts could order either. There was a price difference. Again, IIRC, it lasted all of 6-12 months, at which point the deluxe editions became standard. My memory is a bit foggy, though, and I can't recall dates, or if this was done with all books in the Marvel line.

It was in the Perelman era, and I suspect that Marvel knew the market would shun the basic newsprint versions, thus allowing a transition to the higher margin deluxe edition paper quality.

I would think we would see these listed as newsprint or glossy variants if this was the case.

Nope. Nobody ever seemed to care. (shrug)

And, the more I think about it, it may have been limited to the X-Titles.

Personally, I miss the newsprint paper. For a number of reasons, two being the feel and the smell!

Also think newsprint is better for the industry/hobby. 1) It would be cheaper 2) It could increase the rarity of books over time as newsprint is far more delicate.

Anyone notice the new paper Marvel is using for their covers?

I wonder who the person is at Marvel who made the decision to move away from newsprint to move to HQ coated stock and now charging $3.99 for a comic. Anyone know the name of that guy and how I can get in touch with him so I can scream at him?

In about 1993, IIRC, you had the option of buying issues with either type of paper stock. Nobody bought the newsprint versions, and they quietly went away. Vagoely I remember it being around the Joe Mad time on Uncanny, in the 310-320 issue range, but 20 years may have clouded my memory.

I had quit collecting in the early 90's (like many others) but you really had the option of what type of paper the comic was printed on? Were they priced differently?

Yes. The basic version went to newsstands, and direct accounts could order either. There was a price difference. Again, IIRC, it lasted all of 6-12 months, at which point the deluxe editions became standard. My memory is a bit foggy, though, and I can't recall dates, or if this was done with all books in the Marvel line.

It was in the Perelman era, and I suspect that Marvel knew the market would shun the basic newsprint versions, thus allowing a transition to the higher margin deluxe edition paper quality.

:whistle:

97792366288.318.GIF

97792366288.318.DELUXE.GIF

$(KGrHqJHJCQE8fQm0Np,BPIhjMITiw~~60_57.JPG

I wonder who the person is at Marvel who made the decision to move away from newsprint to move to HQ coated stock and now charging $3.99 for a comic. Anyone know the name of that guy and how I can get in touch with him so I can scream at him?

"they" say that shiny paper is "cheaper than newsprint".

but i still see huge free local publications on newsprint that are supported by ads. if shiny was really cheaper, it would be used there too,don'tyathink?