• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

<<<SOLD OUT>>> STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

25 posts in this topic

I have more wonderful Steranko oddities and rarities to list today, including a few things that have never been listed here on the Boards, either by myself or anyone else!

:takeit: trumps PMs. Drekkers welcome, Probies go scratch. Shipping is $3.00 for Media Mail (to U.S. addresses) for any number of items. Shipping to Canada for $6 (unless a bunch of stuff is purchased, may have to add a couple bucks). Minimum order for overseas buyers is $30. Shipping price quoted for overseas buyers after purchase. Will charge exact USPS shipping, no extra handling charges.

Here we go....

FINAL PRICE REDUCTION!

Here is an unusual and scarce item... SYZYGY #2, a fanzine published by Ron Baker in 1975 that features the first printing of Steranko's unused cover for "At The Stroke Of Midnight" that was intended for Tower of Shadows #1, but deemed by Stan to be too edgy. There were only 510 copies of this fanzine printed and each was numbered in ink on the first interior page, this one being #156/510.

Book is in NM condition, flat, no writing, no tears, no crease and only a small corner bump to top of spine. Bright white and red front and back covers. Looks hot off the press!

$60 REDUCED TO $45

img430.jpg

Here is a book that was printed in a very low print run by Steranko himself in 2003 and is long out of print: VISUAL THEORY - THE STERANKO ARCHIVES - VOLUME 1 (only volume printed). Only 1000 copies were released, each one of them numbered, this one being #217/1000. The book is also SIGNED BY STERANKO (with dedication to Chris). This copy is the first one I've had or seen since the book was released. Features 30 pages of material from Steranko's archive including unseen Nick Fury art, prelims for the FF index and FF series covers, Shadow and Sherlock Holmes prelims. Just a great collection of material for Steranko fans.

Strict NM condition, bright color cover with snow white pages.

$60 REDUCED TO $45

img432.jpg

img431.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

Another scarce book - the French collection of Steranko's entire OUTLAND graphic novel originally published in Heavy Metal / Metal Hurlant in 1981. This collection includes the entire story in softcover wraps, full color 48 pages, featuring some of Steranko's most innovative page designs. Text is in French. Scarce book!

VF condition, spine has a bit of color loss and covers have minor rubbing, otherwise excellent with beautiful pages.

$75

IMG_4296.jpg

IMG_4289.jpg

IMG_4290.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

IMG_4291.jpg

Up next is a book that had a low print run. Argosy magazine from August 1991 with great original cover image of Sherlock Holmes by Steranko. Seldom seen book. VF condition, only a few tiny creases on spine and corners.

$10 REDUCED TO $8

Front

img362.jpg

Back

img363.jpg

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko wrote, designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that unpublished by Marvel

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

NM and unread copy of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size. Scans below are of a recently sold copy, but the one I am offering is in virtually identical.

SOLD

img240.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543-1.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

Next item is very unusual. This book caused a sensation in the magic world when released in 1964: Steranko's World of Escapes (part of Genii Magazine). 47 pages written, designed, and illustrated by Steranko. Yes, it's true that Steranko influenced Kirby to create Mister Miracle.

Front cover wear and color loss, some spine creasing, bottom right front cover corner chip, 1cm back cover corner crease (same on last page). Interior very nice. Rare.

PM me and I can provide interior photos.

SOLD

img435.jpg

Steranko produced two covers for the 1979 Marvel index series by George Olshevsky.

The Captain America issue is hard to find and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This is a beautiful NM copy that is my personal copy, the best that I've ever seen. One very slight spine crease (1cm), very small bottom spine bump and very slight spine wear. Book is flat, glossy and has excellent color as you can see in the photos. You won't find a better copy that this one. Killer Cap image by Steranko!

SOLD

img437.jpg

img436.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, FULL SIZE 8.5 x 11"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. There were two versions of this book, one a digest size, published by Byron Preiss on lesser-quality paper, and this one, the scarce, special-order-only full size 8.5 x 11" that was printed on much higher-quality paper. This is the much harder to find version. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko in its intended full-size with bold colors.

VFNM condition with white pages. No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Tiny bit of color loss lower right front cover corner, tiny rub bottom spine, tiny production bindery tear top of spine. Book may be unread based on firm, flat spine. SUPERB condition for this book. This is as good a copy as you'll ever find. If you are looking for a beautiful copy, this is it.

$100 REDUCED TO $82

img438.jpg

img439.jpg

Next item is very unusual. This book caused a sensation in the magic world when released in 1964: Steranko's World of Escapes (part of Genii Magazine). 47 pages written, designed, and illustrated by Steranko. Yes, it's true that Steranko influenced Kirby to create Mister Miracle.

Front cover wear and color loss, some spine creasing, bottom right front cover corner chip, 1cm back cover corner crease (same on last page). Interior very nice. Rare.

$85

img435.jpg

:takeit:

:takeit:

SOLD! Thank you! PM sent.

Next up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko wrote, designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that unpublished by Marvel

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

NM and unread copy of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size. Scans below are of a recently sold copy, but the one I am offering is in virtually identical.

SOLD

Graphic Prince of Darkness is SOLD via PM. Thank you!

Steranko produced two covers for the 1979 Marvel index series by George Olshevsky.

The Captain America issue is hard to find and features the first printing of what is the best image of Captain America that Steranko ever produced, in glorious wraparound color! 8.5 x 11" in size! That makes the wraparound cover 8.5" x 22" ! The largest cover that Steranko ever did. Interior is an amazing index resource of Tales of Suspense, Golden Age, Silver and Bronze Captain America.

This is a beautiful NM copy that is my personal copy, the best that I've ever seen. One very slight spine crease (1cm), very small bottom spine bump and very slight spine wear. Book is flat, glossy and has excellent color as you can see in the photos. You won't find a better copy that this one. Killer Cap image by Steranko!

SOLD

img436.jpg

SOLD via PM! Thank you!

You have the best Steranko stuff I've seen outside of whatever he brings along to show off when he's doing the Cons!

(worship)

Thanks! The last time I saw Jim's convention setup, he only had the Steranko Archives book and some recent prints. I don't believe the Steranko Archives book is available any longer.

You have the best Steranko stuff I've seen outside of whatever he brings along to show off when he's doing the Cons!

(worship)

Thanks! The last time I saw Jim's convention setup, he only had the Steranko Archives book and some recent prints. I don't believe the Steranko Archives book is available any longer.

The one time I met Steranko, he had originals from his remake of Red Tide. Incredible. He also had a re-do original of the Hulk Annual cover. He wanted 10K for it.

(worship)

In addition to the stuff that he's signing and selling, Steranko has also brought along some original art from "the vault" on occasion. He's walked me through the creative process on a beautiful Shadow piece, a cool Black Terror pinup, and a nice Nick Fury underwater SHIELD scene. Amazing to see these original oversized pieces. I asked what the Shadow piece would sell for and he said "you can't afford it even if it was for sale." Classic!

(worship)

In addition to the stuff that he's signing and selling, Steranko has also brought along some original art from "the vault" on occasion. He's walked me through the creative process on a beautiful Shadow piece, a cool Black Terror pinup, and a nice Nick Fury underwater SHIELD scene. Amazing to see these original oversized pieces. I asked what the Shadow piece would sell for and he said "you can't afford it even if it was for sale." Classic!

Oh, yeah... the originals he shows off are just mind-blowing! The Shadow paintings are just unbelievable. I saw his Hercules cover a few years ago up close and marveled at it... the printed cover simply couldn't capture the detail.

I'm not sure I can imagine what one of his original Pyramid/Jove Shadow paintings (particularly #22 and #23) or the Cap Index original would sell for if offered at auction.

Another scarce book - the French collection of Steranko's entire OUTLAND graphic novel originally published in Heavy Metal / Metal Hurlant in 1981. This collection includes the entire story in softcover wraps, full color 48 pages, featuring some of Steranko's most innovative page designs. Text is in French. Scarce book!

VF condition, spine has a bit of color loss and covers have minor rubbing, otherwise excellent with beautiful pages.

SOLD

IMG_4296.jpg

OUTLAND graphic novel has been SOLD via PM! Thank you!