• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STOLEN COMICS ALERT

56 posts in this topic

UPDATE: Found out today that the person I put forward as a suspect, who ran a cleaning service, has a long rap sheet and also was arrested for another burglary in the area, while it was in progress, two days after the one in my building. He was put in psychiatric custody and is currently locked up there.

UPDATE: Found out today that the person I put forward as a suspect, who ran a cleaning service, has a long rap sheet and also was arrested for another burglary in the area, while it was in progress, two days after the one in my building. He was put in psychiatric custody and is currently locked up there.
This is a start in the right direction. :applause::wishluck:

Psychiatric custody?

If this ends with some kind of restitution or conviction this will be one of the greatest threads in the history of the internets. Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck going forward.

The crime scene.

1. Missing duffel bag

2. Bags and boards moved from atop the outer stack of boxes to cushion on the floor

3. I affix old backing boards to the front of my boxes, so I can tape labels to them without sticking tape directly on the boxes. The top of the board has been cut into a tab that goes into the handle and curves down in front of the comics inside. This one has been pulled out, presumably because the thief pulled on the handle.

4. Stolen comics were on top of boxes stacked behind closet wall.

CrimeScene.jpg

Blu ray player that was moved

photo2.jpg

The insurance company has settled the claim. They changed a couple of values I supplied, but I understood why and I was fine with the changes. I ended up finding one of the books I thought was stolen (Thief of Thieves #1). All in all a very smooth experience with CIA.

The only hiccup was when I got a very confusing letter about a week after reporting the burglary. The letter said they had cancelled my policy, were refunding my premium, and that it was retroactively void as of last November at my mailing address (the bulk of my collection is at another address). The timing of this letter was an odd coincidence and I don't know why it was worded that way but they said it was just a reissuance of the policy due to some change in a state law and I was still covered. I received the settlement check today.

That's good, and there's always something going on with those insurance companies, isn't there?

Did you get a copy of the new policy just to make sure that you are still in fact covered? You should also check it/compare to the old one to see if they are jacking you up somehow with higher rates/lower coverage. I hate dealing with them. I would have suggested to get an adjuster and contest whatever their offer was but if you're happy with what you got then that is good enough.

The insurance company has settled the claim. They changed a couple of values I supplied, but I understood why and I was fine with the changes. I ended up finding one of the books I thought was stolen (Thief of Thieves #1). All in all a very smooth experience with CIA.

The only hiccup was when I got a very confusing letter about a week after reporting the burglary. The letter said they had cancelled my policy, were refunding my premium, and that it was retroactively void as of last November at my mailing address (the bulk of my collection is at another address). The timing of this letter was an odd coincidence and I don't know why it was worded that way but they said it was just a reissuance of the policy due to some change in a state law and I was still covered. I received the settlement check today.

Thanks for the update. This is the first claim with CIA that I have heard about. It's good to know that they did come through.

Do you mind sharing the total amount of the claim? I'm guessing their procedure is different depending upon how much your claim is for. hm