• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did you hear about the big Heritage auction?

76 posts in this topic

wow, Doug is cashing out.

I'm relatively new to the scene but it's my understanding is that Doug has also done this several times over the past 20+ years.

Fills up runs and then sells them off.

We'll see if he puts together another run of SA Marvels after this one is gone.

Well, the E-Mail just arrived, so it's officially "The Doug Schmell Collection" up for auction. I wonder if that's the best thing for the marketing of this auction. Coming from a third hand observer, of course.

Well, the E-Mail just arrived, so it's officially "The Doug Schmell Collection" up for auction. I wonder if that's the best thing for the marketing of this auction. Coming from a third hand observer, of course.

what should they have called it? The Robert Kirkman Walking Dead CGC IT collection? By definition, the collectors who are actually going to buy these books don't give a rats patootie who owned them previously; this isn't a pedigree, it's a collection.

what should they have called it? The Robert Kirkman Walking Dead CGC IT collection? By definition, the collectors who are actually going to buy these books don't give a rats patootie who owned them previously; this isn't a pedigree, it's a collection.

The Name Stricken Collection?

Granny's Escrow Collection?

The Converted Funds Collection?

The Ethics Be Damned Collection?

Maybe Heritage could hire Geraldo Rivera and hype the Collection like opening Al Capone's Vault. :insane::jokealert:

Since I'm sure Doug got a nice advance I wonder why nobody is wondering what Doug will do with all the money he gets?

I'm sure that while Doug may save some of these proceedings I'm sure some of it will go into buying and upgrading, whoops, sorry I meant buying and selling.

In addition to Doug there will also be some nice undercopies coming to market due to some collectors looking to upgrade.

wow, Doug is cashing out.

I'm relatively new to the scene but it's my understanding is that Doug has also done this several times over the past 20+ years.

Fills up runs and then sells them off.

We'll see if he puts together another run of SA Marvels after this one is gone.

Wasn't that his undercopies though? I thought he had owned his top copies since he very first got them aside from selling a few major ones like FF #1 CGC 9.6 or his entire Spidey run.

Since I'm sure Doug got a nice advance I wonder why nobody is wondering what Doug will do with all the money he gets?

I'm sure that while Doug may save some of these proceedings I'm sure some of it will go into buying and upgrading, whoops, sorry I meant buying and selling.

In addition to Doug there will also be some nice undercopies coming to market due to some collectors looking to upgrade.

Seems like he could sell a subset of the collection to fund more flipping--his focus must be broader. Maybe he and his wife are buying a mansion in the Caimans so he won't have to pay taxes. :idea:

I wonder why nobody is wondering what Doug will do with all the money he gets?

Restitution?

Restitution for what? The disbarrment proceedings clearly state that clients were paid in full the amounts held in their escrow accounts.

As for what the money will be used for, I imagine most of it will be a nest egg on which to draw income and live. Other than raising revenue from selling out of his personal collection, I don't think Pedigree.com has been a very good income stream of late. Certainly, it speaks poorly for a business model of buying high and trying to sell even higher.

As others have mentioned, the most interesting aspect of this sale to me will be the residual affects on the market. You really have to wonder how much money is out there, and whether or not the market can absorb not only Doug's books, but the after affects of the buyers of Doug's books selling off undercopies/other books to pay for their winnings.

Those who have no qualms about bidding may find some deals on non-key books from this collection, and from the subsequent influx of books that may hit the market in the months following this auction.

Looks like Barton is going to have the best SA Marvel collection on the registry after these books are sold.

Doug may lose some on the more recent copies he's bought but the value of the top keys will offset that and he'll make a ton on the sale. Almost makes me sad I sold my Avengers set coz now I could have had the top set.

Almost.

Doug may lose some on the more recent copies he's bought but the value of the top keys will offset that and he'll make a ton on the sale. Almost makes me sad I sold my Avengers set coz now I could have had the top set.

Almost.

I have no doubt that Schmell will make a killing. Many of those books were likely purchased for pennies on the dollar, which means that they don't have to set GPA records to make him a ton. And as you said, the money he'll make off of the keys and those books he's held for a long time will more than offset the rest.