• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Silver Age Pedigrees

214 posts in this topic

I know there have been numerous threads about the top Silver Age pedigrees over the years. But most of them were before the Twin Cities collection and Curator FFs surfaced. I noticed a current thread about the Gary Dahlberg/Twin Cities collection in this very forum that broached the topic. So I figured it might be a good time to resurrect the idea and start a new thread on the subject.

So here’s my list. Alternate lists strongly encouraged. Also, my knowledge of DC collections/books is pretty limited. So keep in mind that I have an unapologetic Marvel bias.

1a. Curator

1b. White Mountain

3. Pacific Coast

4. Massachusetts

5. Twin Cities

6. Northland

7. Western Penn

8. Boston

9. Rocky Mountain

Honorable Mentions:

Golden State

Oakland

Suscha News

Bowling Green

Don Rosa Collection

Don/Maggie Thompson Collection

Winnipeg

Green River

I would put the PC's as #1.

I have always said that the PC's are the Edgar Church/Mile High collection of the Silver Age.

The depth of that collection, as well as the quality of the books, are unreal.

I have always said that the PC's are the Edgar Church/Mile High collection of the Silver Age.

Interesting. The only reason I didn't place it higher is that some early keys like FF #1, AF #15, ASM #1 were mid-grade or didn't exist at all.

I know there have been numerous threads about the top Silver Age pedigrees over the years. But most of them were before the Twin Cities collection and Curator FFs surfaced. I noticed a current thread about the Gary Dahlberg/Twin Cities collection in this very forum that broached the topic. So I figured it might be a good time to resurrect the idea and start a new thread on the subject.

So here’s my list. Alternate lists strongly encouraged. Also, my knowledge of DC collections/books is pretty limited. So keep in mind that I have an unapologetic Marvel bias.

1a. Curator

1b. White Mountain

3. Pacific Coast

4. Massachusetts

5. Twin Cities

6. Northland

7. Western Penn

8. Boston

9. Rocky Mountain

Honorable Mentions:

Golden State

Oakland

Suscha News

Bowling Green

Don Rosa Collection

Winnipeg

Green River :cry:

Interesting. The only reason I didn't place it higher is that some early keys like FF #1, AF #15, ASM #1 were mid-grade or didn't exist at all.

I can see that way of thinking.

The D.C's are amazing and much harder to find in grade than the Marvels. That's one of the reason I rank the PC's so high.

1a. Curator

1b. White Mountain

3. Pacific Coast

4. Massachusetts

5. Twin Cities

6. Northland

7. Western Penn

8. Boston

9. Rocky Mountain

Honorable Mentions:

Golden State

Oakland

Suscha News

Bowling Green

Don Rosa Collection

Winnipeg

Green River :cry:

Oops. Just forgot about that one. I corrected my list.

The D.C's are amazing and much harder to find in grade than the Marvels. That's one of the reason I rank the PC's so high.

See? That's my Marvel bias shining through.

Marvel Zombie :baiting:

1a. Curator

1b. White Mountain

3. Pacific Coast

4. Massachusetts

5. Twin Cities

6. Northland

7. Western Penn

8. Boston

9. Rocky Mountain

Honorable Mentions:

Golden State

Oakland

Suscha News

Bowling Green

Don Rosa Collection

Winnipeg

Green River

I gotta disagree. For purely SA, my list would be:

1) Curator

2)White Mountain

3)Green River

4)Suscha News

5)Western Penn

6) Rocky Mountain

7) Twin Cities

8)Pacific Coast(i must have the worst of all PC's because they just dont blow me away???)

9) Boston

10)Massachusetts

1a. Curator

1b. White Mountain

3. Pacific Coast

4. Massachusetts

5. Twin Cities

6. Northland

7. Western Penn

8. Boston

9. Rocky Mountain

Honorable Mentions:

Golden State

Oakland

Suscha News

Bowling Green

Don Rosa Collection

Winnipeg

Green River

1) Curator

2)White Mountain

3)Green River

4)Suscha News

5)Western Penn

6) Rocky Mountain

7) Twin Cities

8)Pacific Coast(i must have the worst of all PC's because they just dont blow me away???)

9) Boston

10)Massachusetts

......let me qualify this by saying that I am NOT a pedigree expert and have only seen of few examples of each. I think one reason the lists don't all jibe, is because of the subjectiveness of the whole concept. For me, my number one criteria, bar none, is a kind of gloss/ suppleness condition of the coverstock. If the book is glossy, but the paper has begun to degrade and has a slight stiffness to it, I don't care how flat it is or how sharp the corners. To me that is the end-all. The books that form the deciding factor for me are pre '65.....everything past that is already glossy and supple. Early White Mountains seem the most supple and glossy to me.....Northlands are close. Bostons are stiffer.....probably warehouse books. Warehouse books usually suffer in the suppleness category. The PC's I've seen (remember, earlier issues) are very supple....but didn't seem to have that 100% newsrtand mirror gloss. I would love to hear more in regards to this issue from those more knowledgeable than I. I do realize that I may have just seen all the wrong examples. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a frioend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is probably the nicest Pedigree book i own in hand. Even though i have many, many 9.8's and BA books, in hand this book just sparkles like it came off the press today!

From what ive seen and have, Curators kill any other Pedigree

ap22.jpg

1) Curator

2)White Mountain

3)Green River

4)Suscha News

5)Western Penn

6) Rocky Mountain

7) Twin Cities

9) Boston

10)Massachusetts

How could you possibly have Pacific Coast so far down? :screwy: And why is Massachusetts so low?

Some REALLY nice Suschas(even though my scanner crapped out on some of these! I scanned like 200 books the other night and the last 50 came out WAY too dark! :censored: )

ap17.jpgap33.jpg

ap56.jpgap59.jpg

1) Curator

2)White Mountain

3)Green River

4)Suscha News

5)Western Penn

6) Rocky Mountain

7) Twin Cities

9) Boston

10)Massachusetts

How could you possibly have Pacific Coast so far down? :screwy: And why is Massachusetts so low?

Like i said in the other thread, i must just have bad luck with PC's. I have 5 or 6, mostly Avengers and they are probably the worst pedigree books i own. WAAAAY too many people i respect have told me they are insane but for the ones i own, they just arent that nice. I guess i just bought some really bad PC examples ???

I just havent seen enough Mass books to put them any higher. My list is my preference based on what i have and have seen in hand so its definitely biased.