• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Silver Age Pedigrees

214 posts in this topic

These were purchased in the early 90s directly from Marnin. They're raw.

oaaw113.jpg

oaaw115.jpg

oaaw117.jpg

oaaw120.jpg

Mass. copies have held up as the nicest collection of early 12¢ war I've ever seen, although I'd love to hear if there were other ped collections that went that far back (or farther) in DC war. The Salidas and Newsboys (Motor Cities) were earlier, but didn't extend into the 12¢ era (I seem to recall that there were some Salidas--but maybe from another genre--that bridged the 12¢ era???).

I bought a short run of early SA Massachusetts Detectives from Marnin, and while not ultra high grade they were sweet. It's too bad Marnin was banned from the CGC boards years ago, because it would be great to learn from him about the early DCs from this pedigree.

Det286Mass.jpg

Det290Mass.jpg

He was strongly vocal in his opposition to pressing, and he and Steve B had a falling out.

I was told that Marnin did press, selectively, but he wanted disclosure, hence the organization NOD.

Here's a breakdown of Marvel keys from some of the top pedigrees. I think it shows the strength of the White Mountains. And it really makes me wonder where the rest of the Curators are hiding.

Please let me know if you can fill in any blanks.

PedigreeKeys2.jpg

I started on a larger version of that same chart some months ago. It includes DC keys as well.

Existence and grades of keys from the major silver age pedigrees

Ooh. That's great. Thanks!

Nice lists.

Rob, you should update your chart to reflect all the Curator FFs that have now been identified and slabbed.

Also, no love for ST 110? It`s not even on your list.

Unfortunately, my to-do list for comic related items is getting to the point where I may never catch up. I'm hoping one of these days eventually turns into "yeah, today I can take care of that."

I'll add adding ST 110 to my list.

I need an intern.

And... the most tantalizing book I own. The only White Mountain Daredevil I've ever seen offered for sale since the 1990s (when I was a broke comic shop employee and couldn't really afford them.)

dd9.jpg

And... the most tantalizing book I own. The only White Mountain Daredevil I've ever seen offered for sale since the 1990s (when I was a broke comic shop employee and couldn't really afford them.)

dd9.jpg

Lots of great books, Rob.

Have you ever found out what happened to the rest of the White Mountain Daredevils?

No, I've asked around for years and have never heard anything about where they went. I'd love for them to resurface.

I didn't think, at the time, to ask where this one came from since I didn't realize how "missing" they were. I might have lost my one good lead (either that or Jerry sold this one separately from the lots at Sotheby's and even this copy would be a dead end.)

No, I've asked around for years and have never heard anything about where they went. I'd love for them to resurface.

I didn't think, at the time, to ask where this one came from since I didn't realize how "missing" they were. I might have lost my one good lead (either that or Jerry sold this one separately from the lots at Sotheby's and even this copy would be a dead end.)

At least if they do resurface, they'll be easy to identify.

I don't think I've ever seen any White Mountain Avengers or Strange Tales either. Maybe they're all hiding out with the same collector.

He was strongly vocal in his opposition to pressing, and he and Steve B had a falling out.

Just want to set the record straight....

Marnin did a self imposed ban. I, or CGC, never banned him from the forums.

He went off the deep end. He's his own worst enemy.

Anyway, you folks keep posting these great peds! (worship)