• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

terminology I still dont get

16 posts in this topic

From dictionary .com

SHILL

To lure (a person) into a swindle.

And we are all newbs at one time in our lives Shad..

So no worries.. dont let the Forum lifers sceer ya...

They so old they got no teefies anymore.

All Bark...

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Sorry, should have known, still an e-bay newb smile.gif

Vince

P.S. Where did this "shill" thing come from? Is that a message board term?

A "shill" is a fake ID made by a user who ordinarily posts using his regular ID. They are used to make statements that the user does not necessarily want attributed to "him" under his ordinary ID. For example, when I want to take Redhook down a peg or two, I log on to my economo shill ID and tell him he's a and that I have a degree in economics. And when I want to make everyone feel happy and positive, I log on with my "Mr. Positive" shill ID and post positive comments. And when I want to post nothing but graemlins all day long, I log on to my Greggy shill ID and post graemlins until my fingers fall off.

A "shill bidder" is a bidder who bids on his own auctions (if on ebay, by using a different ID than the one he's using to sell the item) or who bids on his friend's auctions with no intention of purchasing the thing he is bidding on. Shill bidding is intended to drive up the price of the item by making it more expensive for the regular bidders who are bidding on the item.

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

A "shill" is a fake ID made by a user who ordinarily posts using his regular ID. They are used to make statements that the user does not necessarily want attributed to "him" under his ordinary ID. For example, when I want to take Redhook down a peg or two, I log on to my economo shill ID and tell him he's a and that I have a degree in economics. And when I want to make everyone feel happy and positive, I log on with my "Mr. Positive" shill ID and post positive comments. And when I want to post nothing but graemlins all day long, I log on to my Greggy shill ID and post graemlins until my fingers fall off.

A "shill bidder" is a bidder who bids on his own auctions (if on ebay, by using a different ID than the one he's using to sell the item) or who bids on his friend's auctions with no intention of purchasing the thing he is bidding on. Shill bidding is intended to drive up the price of the item by making it more expensive for the regular bidders who are bidding on the item.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Apparantly the true siource of "shill" is unknown but this is about as good an explanation as any:

"shill - 1916, "one who acts as a decoy for a gambler, auctioneer, etc." (probably originally circus or carnival argot), probably a shortened form of shillaber (1913) with the same meaning, origin unknown. The verb is attested from 1914."

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

Interesting. I'm starting to wonder how many people really read these threads. Maybe there is only one other person here, besides me, with multiple ids.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

Boy, I almost missed this post. Great! 27_laughing.gif

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

those were all you??? wow, never saw THAT comin!!!

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

Yes. So when you add "Greggy's" posts to mine, I am the most prolific poster on the forum! acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

DUH!!! foreheadslap.gif

Vince

Yes. So when you add "Greggy's" posts to mine, I am the most prolific poster on the forum! acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

acclaim.gif

Apparantly the true siource of "shill" is unknown but this is about as good an explanation as any:

"shill - 1916, "one who acts as a decoy for a gambler, auctioneer, etc." (probably originally circus or carnival argot), probably a shortened form of shillaber (1913) with the same meaning, origin unknown. The verb is attested from 1914."

At the poker tables a shill is someone who is playing in the game but is working for the house. They do this to put some bodies in a game that doesn't have many players. They want to keep the game going and draw in some other players. The house has an interest in getting more players in a game since it increases their 'rake'. Shills usually (but not always) follow 'shill rules' and play conservatively, staying in on obviously good hands, not raising too much. Most places will identify 'house' players if you ask. If noone is in the game working for the house they will tell you 'everyone is playing their own money'. An employee who is sitting in a game on their own time playing their own money is not a shill. smile.gif