• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Any idea what the FF1 9.6 would bring? and are there any ungraded copies out there that are better than this one that anybody knows about. thanks and how about TOS 39 did not one sell for like 350 recently.

I stopped trying to predict in public what books will bring a loooong time ago.

I have seen books go through the roof at triple what I would pay retail for and I have seen books sell for half of what I would have paid retail for.

If I were talking to you I would be quoting Elvis Costello lyrics which you have done on more than one occassion.

As far as REO goes here's what you should be singing

Ridin' the storm out

Waitin' for the thaw out

On a full moon night

in the rocky mountain winter

My wine bottle's low

watching for the snow

Thinking 'bout

what I'm missing in the city

(chorus)

And I'm not missin' a thing

Watchin' the full moon crossin' the range

Ridin' the storm out

Ridin' the storm out

Ridin' the storm out

Ridin' the storm out

My lady's beside me

she's there to guide me

She says that alone

we've finally found our home

The wind outside is frightning

But it's kinder than the

lightning life in the city

It's a hard life to live

but it gives back what you give

(chorus)

Ridin' the storm out

Waitin' for the thaw out

On a full moon night

in the rocky mountain winter

My wine bottle's low

watching for the snow

Thinking 'bout

what I've been missing in the city

(chorus)

did he trade 9.6 for a 9.4 plus cash??? just looking up on the net about it...to tom. too bad, that 9.6 one of the most valuable books in the hobby.

I was not involved with that deal so I have no clue.....

By the end of the next two years 8 out the top 20 books will be Marvel #1's. In 5 years, 7 out of the top 10 will be Marvel 1's.

Mitch;

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about with your comments here. As far as I can tell, it sounds as though you are actually referring to graded CGC labels as opposed to actual comic books.

By this, I mean you are probably referring specifically to the only the highest graded copy of the Marvel #1 books and not to any of the countless tens of thousands of that particular issue that are actually in existence. Yes, it's quite possible that a 9.8 copy of X-Men #1 might beat a 9.2 copy of Batman #1. But I'll bet you anything that a 9.2 copy of even AF #15 will not beat an equivalent 9.2 copy of Batman #1. In fact, I don't see any of the key SA Mavel #1 books in VF condition being worth anywhere even remotely close to any of the key or even semi-key GA books in equivalent VF condition.

So, are you saying that the value of all books should be based only upon the highest graded copy of a particular book and that all other copies in existence are to be ignored when it comes to determining valuation? This makes absolutely no logical sense to me at all.

By the end of the next two years 8 out the top 20 books will be Marvel #1's. In 5 years, 7 out of the top 10 will be Marvel 1's.

Mitch;

I am not exactly sure what you are talking about with your comments here. As far as I can tell, it sounds as though you are actually referring to graded CGC labels as opposed to actual comic books.

By this, I mean you are probably referring specifically to the only the highest graded copy of the Marvel #1 books and not to any of the countless tens of thousands of that particular issue that are actually in existence.

Nope. He's actually talking about Marvel Comics #1. He can see into a future where Kazar is the most popular fictional character on the planet and Marvel #1 blows away all other collectible comics.

For once I actually agree with Mitch (thumbs u

Coming in at #8 on the Top Books of 2015...

marvel1.jpg

did he trade 9.6 for a 9.4 plus cash??? just looking up on the net about it...to tom. too bad, that 9.6 one of the most valuable books in the hobby.

I believe it went to Tom Brulato for $180k (or $175k) + a 9.4.

Mitch;

By this, I mean you are probably referring specifically to the only the highest graded copy of the Marvel #1 books and not to any of the countless tens of thousands of that particular issue that are actually in existence. Yes, it's quite possible that a 9.8 copy of X-Men #1 might beat a 9.2 copy of Batman #1. But I'll bet you anything that a 9.2 copy of even AF #15 will not beat an equivalent 9.2 copy of Batman #1. In fact, I don't see any of the key SA Mavel #1 books in VF condition being worth anywhere even remotely close to any of the key or even semi-key GA books in equivalent VF condition.

So, are you saying that the value of all books should be based only upon the highest graded copy of a particular book and that all other copies in existence are to be ignored when it comes to determining valuation? This makes absolutely no logical sense to me at all.

It would take vast amounts of space to list all the things about comics collecting that make no logical sense at all.

'Determining valuation" should be entirely in the mind of the buyer. And labels should tell the buyer only what shape it is or isn't in and what has or has not happened to it -- not to place "valuations" based on whether some people think a bit of glue on one book makes that book "not for investment" or "worth significantly less" while a bit of glue on another book (placed in a similar amount with or without similar intent) is 'acceptable' and therefore that book, and not the other, is an "investment." Markings of any kind, even date stamps and the names of shops or owners, should be treated the same and affect the grade solely on whether it damages the book or impacts the eye appeal -- not on whether somebody does or doesn't 'approves' of them subjectively.

Anything and everything known should be listed with words, and that includes pressing. And there should be no additional subjective information that attempts to influence the buyer -- no warnings or label colors.

If that were the case, then people might still be talking about whether a book had been pressed or what did or didn't constitute restoration or what was or wasn't graded fairly. And people would still avoid or be drawn to books with alterations depending on their personal preferences (i.e. "I like date stamps" or "I hate color touch" or "it doesn't bother me that the owner wrote his name or the year of publication on the book") But we would see far fewer bizarre and unresolvable arguments about whether CGC should have decided something was or wasn't unacceptable and put it in the "bad" label. And people wouldn't have to worry as much that what they are buying or selling could end up in a "better" label after somebody else gets ahold of it.

Did anyone hear the news, that the Gov't controls the weather? :o
Did they retrieve the hurricane making machine the Yakuza used on Nawlins?
hm I will have to watch the news tonight and see.
Which one? Most are owned by corporations or the government and are used for getting ratings / pushing agendas / gaining ad revenue.

(other things I have overhead from friends)

Really.

Are they wrong?

I don't know.

I heard from a friend, that heard from a friend, for a fact that Cheney and Sarah Palin secretly own NPR and Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi secretly own FOX.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Pelosi resembles the Senator Palpatine.

Watch Revenge of the Sith, when the emperor reveals himself and is fighting Windu.

Compare that to the up close footage of Pelosi when the Health Care Reform bill was being voted on and passed.

It is kinda eerie.

I believe it went to Tom Brulato for $180k (or $175k) + a 9.4.

Thanks, well if the 9.4 sold for 300K and add the 180 it would be 500K, too bad that copy will not be in auction, now its up to the xmen 9.8 to break the 500k barrier

Here you go

Batman #7 I just listed

Label notes Cover cleaned and Pressed.

Not sure what the label would state if submitted today.

http://www.highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=book_details&id=88541

Bob, I would hope that you know by now the label would not say "cleaned and pressed", it would just say "cleaned", but I know you don't deal with many restored books, so maybe you don't know.

Not directed at you, Bob:

C & P was a term commonly used for a cleaned book before CGC opened, so at the begining we (CGC) used that term. We dropped the term because it implied that CGC considered pressing restoration which CGC did not. Now, before anyone says anything to the contrary, to the best of my knowledge, there were never any labels that just stated "pressed" on them. Taking that into consideration, you can tell CGC (or I) never considered pressing was restoration in the first place. BTW...it was not part of some grand plan, just a business decision made when setting standards, which you can choose to believe or not, but I am telling the truth.

Anyone can call pressing restoration or not. It is a personal issue, and here on the boards, a very emotional issue, but that is not going to change the way CGC views pressing. When there is money to be gained or lost on what a label states, most (not all) people in our hobby, don't want CGC to guess if their personal book is pressed or not. Because that's what it would be on almost all books that are correctly pressed, guessing.

Same with a re-assembled book. If done correctly, it's just guessing.

Either buy CGC books or not, it's a very simple issue. But remember, just because it's not in a CGC holder, does not mean it has not been pressed.

To put it plainly, it was the contributors to these boards that more or less made the discovery that pressing was being allowed in a Blue label, through their own detective work.

Steve Borock finally admitted that it was.

This was at least three years after CGC had not only told certain dealer parties, but had actually offered to press the books for them, providing they signed a non-disclosure agreement.

What 'positive' did the vast majority of the market enjoy?

Nothing winds me up more than agenda-led revisionism.

THANK YOU. (worship)

It gets so frustrating watching reality get twisted to fit some fantasy about how things actually unfolded.

Then it takes me long-winded paragraphs to try and communicate what you can in a single sentence. :blush:

So please stay on it. :wishluck: Revisionists shouldn't have their way with rewriting reality.

Where reality gets twisted is when people say things based on assumptions.

There is a myth that books get hammered for bends and NCB creases when in fact they don't. They downgrade slightly for them if at all, depending on the grade.

There is a myth that CGC graders on the lookout to "grade bump" books to increase revenue, and while this is true in the purest sense, the fact is that they are in my experience very conservative in bumping books.

There is a myth that big dealers get better grades implying that the service is impartial when in fact the majority of the time the graders do not know who's books are being graded.

All of these myths are very "well known" and accepted by many people simply because they are repeated over and over on here even though they are not true. Most of the time they are repeated by people who have a dislike for pressing or "that game" so you can understand why I'm compelled to dispel those myths based on my experiences.

If you stick to the facts, the myths disappear.

So let's stick to the facts, ma'am.

:foryou:

You're saying we should stick to facts, but a lot of what you're putting out as "fact" is merely your personal experiences. Unless you've worked for CGC and are familiar with their grading guidelines, none of what you've written here is fact.