• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

This is the single most educational thread I've read since becoming a regular poster. I can't usually stay with a thread past 15 or 20 pages, but here we are at page 79 and I genuinely feel like I've learned something along the way.

Trev;

This thread is nothing compared to some of the ones which we have had in the past! lol

It's quite obvious you was not around when we first found out about pressing, or the time that eagle-eyes Jason Ewert was outed, or the wondeful before and after photo montage of the Manufactured Gold thread, or the one where a Church book was able to go from CGC 4.0 up to CGC 7.5 before finishing up at CGC 9.0 all the while sitting in a blue label, and then simply explained away by Borock with his classic first time pronouncement that "disassembly and reassembly of a book in and of itself is not considered to be restoration." :screwy:

Fun times for sure. (thumbs u

I'm feel the same as Trev - this thread has been fantastic and educational. I only joined the boards last year and I've learned tons on this thread alone. I'm definitely going to look up the Church thread about a book going from 4.0 to 9.0 Thanks for the tip! (thumbs u

I'll quote myself from an old 2006 thread because it contains links to other interesting threads, with that Boy Comics #17 4.0 to 9.0 miracle being the last one...

(yep, just being too lazy to rewrite :) )

I think AdamStrange said it best a couple of weeks ago: "Never ascribe to malevolence what can easily be explained by incompetence."

Incompetence or collusion? Who really knows without hard facts? But sometimes there's a common sense tipping-point when you think over what's been posted. Like...

Before he got busted Ewert bought Mosconi's CGC 8.5 GS X-MEN #1 with the spine tear (3 graders at 8.0, 8.5, and 8.5). AFTER the Ewert flip to CGC 9.2 the notes were: "small light bend bottom right corner, spine stress, ding top spine, spine tear. All three graders were at 9.2 ." Posted Here

Then that same odds-defying senario is echoed by a National seller: Posted Here

Metropolis: "Shortly afterwards, the book appears in a 9.0 holder. It seems that the

book had been pressed, re-submitted and given a 9.0 grade by all three graders. After finally looking at a close scan of the book, it was apparent it was not a 9.0 and didn't look any better than when it was in a 8.0 holder"

And echoed again with the BOY #17 making it's CGC 9.0 incarnation: Posted Here

"Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 9.0 0721664004 (ALL THREE) 3 graders @ 9.0, Slight Staple Tears, Shadow Top Back Cover"

Does incompetence explain it? Mistakes are due to a sudden uni-mind between three seperate individuals dealing with resubs? Maybe it is just incompetence, happenstance, or coincidence. But it's very hard to swallow.

For all those harping on his decision to list his books on Heritage, for years Heritage was co-branding and listing many of its auctions on eBay. Any way you slice and dice it, its no different an example of how a smaller auction/consignment venue piggy-backs off a marketing goliath.

I'll quote myself from an old 2006 thread because it contains links to other interesting threads, with that Boy Comics #17 4.0 to 9.0 miracle being the last one...

(yep, just being too lazy to rewrite :) )

I think AdamStrange said it best a couple of weeks ago: "Never ascribe to malevolence what can easily be explained by incompetence."

Incompetence or collusion? Who really knows without hard facts? But sometimes there's a common sense tipping-point when you think over what's been posted. Like...

Before he got busted Ewert bought Mosconi's CGC 8.5 GS X-MEN #1 with the spine tear (3 graders at 8.0, 8.5, and 8.5). AFTER the Ewert flip to CGC 9.2 the notes were: "small light bend bottom right corner, spine stress, ding top spine, spine tear. All three graders were at 9.2 ." Posted Here

Then that same odds-defying senario is echoed by a National seller: Posted Here

Metropolis: "Shortly afterwards, the book appears in a 9.0 holder. It seems that the

book had been pressed, re-submitted and given a 9.0 grade by all three graders. After finally looking at a close scan of the book, it was apparent it was not a 9.0 and didn't look any better than when it was in a 8.0 holder"

And echoed again with the BOY #17 making it's CGC 9.0 incarnation: Posted Here

"Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 9.0 0721664004 (ALL THREE) 3 graders @ 9.0, Slight Staple Tears, Shadow Top Back Cover"

Does incompetence explain it? Mistakes are due to a sudden uni-mind between three seperate individuals dealing with resubs? Maybe it is just incompetence, happenstance, or coincidence. But it's very hard to swallow.

Thanks. Great links! (thumbs u

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic

I think this is the quote of the year. Not that I - and probably most of us - agree with it of course

I stand by this statement 100%. Blue is GOLD. It is kind of like the guy that changed his life around, like Doug is trying to do. You look at the Man/Woman TODAY.....just like the comic book that is graded 9.8 that used to be 9.6.....Reality is the book is 9.8...it is what it is today 2012 that counts...

I cannot see how discussing purple labels has anything to do with a collection of the best blue labels ever in one auction. I am aware of the attitude that the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.I do not share that opinion, however if ever there was not a place to mention "restored books" it would be this thread.....the highest rated cgc BLUE collection.

Are you an alcoholic? Do you blackout a lot? Can't you remember your quote (right above) where you said you were pro-trimming? And please tell us how you know Doug is trying to change his ways? As of 6 months ago, the evidence shows he has not changed one bit, and he was disbarred 6 years ago.

Sir with all due respect I am not subject to blackouts or am I an alcoholic...it is YOU that needs to understand the human condition. Doug did a very brave thing selling his collection without RESERVE and taking the high ground returning these to books to all of us true collectors, rather then sell to a "fat cat" banker.

I hope you can believe that a human being can change for the better at any time, this sale thru Ha.com was a step in the right direction for doug, rather than go for the big bang bucks...he is selling back his collection to the community as a whole.

You could fuick up a wet dream

I can't imagine Doug selling unless he absolutely has to. Obviously comics are probably the overriding force in his life and always have been. Many of you detail the lengths that he needed to go in order to assemble his collection. I assume that he must raise some money and the thought of letting even a few of these comics go might be more painful than divesting himself entirely. I think it would difficult for someone like to Doug to accept a lesser collection than what he once had.

I think that it will be very painful for Doug to lose what in a very real sense is his identity. I think that he will feel the same withdrawal that an athlete goes through after he retires and is is no longer an athlete but someone else. During the playing years, the athlete is still able to maintain his identity even off the field, but not after he retires.

Many people have amassed a few million dollars. I can't believe that having extra money in the bank will in any way compensate for the loss of those comics to Doug. There must be an incredible anxiety in his life that the sale of these comics will remedy. Sadly, I think he will be a broken man after the sale.

(thumbs u

I can't imagine Doug selling unless he absolutely has to. Obviously comics are probably the overriding force in his life and always have been. Many of you detail the lengths that he needed to go in order to assemble his collection. I assume that he must raise some money and the thought of letting even a few of these comics go might be more painful than divesting himself entirely. I think it would difficult for someone like to Doug to accept a lesser collection than what he once had.

I think that it will be very painful for Doug to lose what in a very real sense is his identity. I think that he will feel the same withdrawal that an athlete goes through after he retires and is is no longer an athlete but someone else. During the playing years, the athlete is still able to maintain his identity even off the field, but not after he retires.

Many people have amassed a few million dollars. I can't believe that having extra money in the bank will in any way compensate for the loss of those comics to Doug. There must be an incredible anxiety in his life that the sale of these comics will remedy. Sadly, I think he will be a broken man after the sale.

That is a very reasonable perspective. Although it could be reasoned that selling his collection when the value of the books isn't even worth the paper its printed on would create an anxiety far more troubling than losing bragging rights. There is also the perspective that switching to dealer mode removes most of the emotional tie to books (i.e. "inventory" rather than "collection"). I also recognize that there is a human element and that the trigger for most if not all collectors is we are buying memories. Ultimately, this all boils down to whether your collecting pursuits are guided by a moral/ethical compass, because for many, this amounts to a lifestyle bailout of a dealer (as others have been alleging over the many years I've been a member) carrying questionable reputational baggage.

All you dummies better recognize....Bow down to the KING of comics!

He bought an Action #1 for top dollar back in 1970 (visionary). He's forgotten more about comics than you will ever know.

The KING knows the market better than YOU. The KING doesn't care about what has happened over the years on the boards. All of that is irrelevant.

The label is BLUE and the number is HIGH.

You plebes make me ill. Repent NOW and follow your true KING on the path to comic book glory.

I think Doug's Marvel collection will do extremely well via Heritage, which is a venue that seems to bring in buyers that don't participate in the weekly or monthly comic grind. As for what will happen to the market afterwards? Well, there's already been if not a crash, then a marked softening for 1966 and later material. This trend is likely to continue irrespective of the auctioning of Doug's collection, as even more high grade books from this time period surface and are brought to market.

It's likely there's plenty more post-1965 high grade material out there (Oakland, Rocky, Suscha, what's next?). I continue to think it's the pre-1966 stuff both Marvel and DC that's likely to stay relatively scarce and in demand in high grade, and that's most likely to hold value over time.

I think Doug's Marvel collection will do extremely well via Heritage, which is a venue that seems to bring in buyers that don't participate in the weekly or monthly comic grind. As for what will happen to the market afterwards? Well, there's already been if not a crash, then a marked softening for 1966 and later material. This trend is likely to continue irrespective of the auctioning of Doug's collection, as even more high grade books from this time period surface and are brought to market.

It's likely there's plenty more post-1965 high grade material out there. It's the pre-1966 stuff both Marvel and DC that's likely to stay relatively scarce and in demand in high grade, and that's most likely to hold value over time.

(thumbs u Agree

All you dummies better recognize....Bow down to the KING of comics!

He bought an Action #1 for top dollar back in 1970 (visionary). He's forgotten more about comics than you will ever know.

The KING knows the market better than YOU. The KING doesn't care about what has happened over the years on the boards. All of that is irrelevant.

The label is BLUE and the number is HIGH.

You plebes make me ill. Repent NOW and follow your true KING on the path to comic book glory.

The king is a fink.

It may well be the guy has hit a few problems, and needs to sell.

I don't know, I don't know the guy. (although I have dealt with him in the past, and was not altogether happy with the way he conducted business)

Personally I have never been under any illusion that his collection was amassed as some kind of nobel grand plan viewed from the perspective of a 'true' collector.

In my opinion the big picture was, and always has been to one day liquidate the books for maximum dollar value.

I don't think he will be tossing and turning at night because he has sold his 'beloved' books.

2c

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

Wow, that's material info for bidders.

Well this auction is going to fail then!

Exactly...and it's not just Doug's books, it's all CGC books. :sumo:

They're all tainted by the comic-book-industrial-complex, and now all their flaws have been revealed. And they would have gotten away with it, except for one slip in the beginning of this whole crazy scheme - Gutenberg referred to his machine as a "printing press", and not a "printing mechanical device". Centuries of plotting, scheming, and planning, all down the toilet on simple semantics. :screwy:

Only the KING can save us now!! :devil:

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

They're all tainted by the comic-book-industrial-complex, and now all their flaws have been revealed. And they would have gotten away with it, except for one slip in the beginning of this whole crazy scheme - Gutenberg referred to his machine as a "printing press", and not a "printing mechanical device". Centuries of plotting, scheming, and planning, all down the toilet on simple semantics. :screwy:

Screw Mehdy, Pring for King!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw Mehdy, Pring for King!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The KING is dead, long live the King! :acclaim:

Let me make one thing clear. I would never sell pressed, trimmed or magic comics as unrestored.

If I was in charge of the cgc I would put tape , micro trimming , minor color touch in a purple label period. I would eliminate staple replacement as a restored condition as the staple has nothing to due with book itself. That would be my rule...

I do not make the rules.

I cannot agree as to DS conduct as described here, I would not do it, but the cgc seems to think it is within the rules......

The label controls and rules the comic book world now.

Yes, the very idea that all of the nearly 700 books he is selling have all been uniformally improved or "potentialized" is pretty ridiculous.

Some of those actually started their lives as 9.8s...afterall, that's why Doug sought out the "best of the best" in the first place.

I understand for some, a couple of rotten apples spoil the barrel, but I think its a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water to assume they are all tainted.

Either way, I don't plan on bidding as my beer budget doesn't match Doug's Don Perignon taste, nor do I plan on even following the auction as my comic interests primarily lie elsewhere.

Either way, I don't plan on bidding as my beer budget doesn't match Doug's Don Perignon taste, nor do I plan on even following the auction as my comic interests primarily lie elsewhere.

Don't forget, you're also still "on a break". :baiting:

Maybe I should "cash out" and go on an extended break. hm

Maybe I should "cash out" and go on an extended break. hm

Cool! I will cancel my trip to Philly and be at your home in a few hours to pick up the deal :baiting: