• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

The label controls and rules the comic book world now.

You're not wrong about that.

The seemingly endless parade of high grade SA books and pedigrees is an interesting contrast to GA books, whose older pedigrees have mostly shrunk in significance (as far as multiples of Guide go) slowly over time.

There are always exceptions of course (e.g., the Thrilling Church/Mile High run which just went plain crazy), but the days of getting 3x - 5x Guide for regular Church/Mile High books are over as new 'hot' collections (e.g., Billy Wright) appear, and more books get cooked/manipulated into higher grade tiers.

The thought of getting a non-key Church/Mile High like an early Prize Comics for 1.3x Guide would have been totally inconceivable to me even just a decade (or two) ago. But it happened.

The highest graded SA book in my collection is a 9.0, and I have no plans of going higher. The value is just not there for me to chase the big number labels (and the huge prices that they can command today).

It will be interesting to look back in a decade (or two) and see comparative values of these high grade pedigree SA books, or if they will become "humanized" just as have many GA pedigree (non-key) books in the current collecting cycle.

The thought of getting a non-key Church/Mile High like an early Prize Comics for 1.3x Guide would have been totally inconceivable to me even just a decade (or two) ago. But it happened.

This kind of blows my mind as well, just can't fathom it. Those kind of books would have been no less than 3 times OSPG in 1995. Not just that, but they are frickin' cool!

One of the things I can think of is that most, not all, collectors collect what they grew up with. "We covet what we know" and most collectors don't "graduate" ( for lack of a better word) to older books like you, I, and others did when we got more and more into our hobby. I think it's one of the reasons that Spidey is king at the moment. Same with Wolverine.

Look at most, not all, 1940's and 1950's western or funny animal comics. If you collect them, you can buy them for soooo much less today than 15 years ago. Almost no one in their 30's grew up with Tom Mix and Peter Panda.

These same collectors did not grow up with The Arrow, The Green Lama, Fantom Of The Fair, and other such comic characters.

It's kind of sad for some of us that not everyone appreciates the material, but the great thing is people are still collecting and reading comics they love. (thumbs u

Let me make one thing clear. I would never sell pressed, trimmed or magic comics as unrestored.

If I was in charge of the cgc I would put tape , micro trimming , minor color touch in a purple label period. I would eliminate staple replacement as a restored condition as the staple has nothing to due with book itself. That would be my rule...

I do not make the rules.

I cannot agree as to DS conduct as described here, I would not do it, but the cgc seems to think it is within the rules......

Yes, it does. And that is one of the biggest reasons to worry about the values of comics crashing.

It does not take much information or comparison of graded books for people to see that the purple label is applied in ways that are inconsistent with common usage of words like "restoration" and inconsistent from book to book, and that the informationa and characterization of the label colors is manipulated in ways that are inconsistent with the philosphy of genuine, free of financial agenda disclosure, or fair market valuation sans insider manipulation.

But, when folks like you talk about it, the implication is that the solution would be not to correct those problems but to increase them. Basically, that the system should encourage people to buy any book which you sought, bought or sold, and that it should discourage people to buy anything that you, in particular, avoided for whatever reason.

You would put even books with tape in purple labels, because you avoided books with tape and you hate knowing that people don't mind buying books with tape if they are in blue labels. So, you want to change that.

You don't want pressed books in purple labels, however, regardless of how much the average person would call such a book restored (or, on the other hand, regardless of how much the average person wouldn't care), because you've got books that are pressed, and you know that people who accept them now won't accept them if you put them in the "unacceptable" label.

The more you shout "BLUE GOLD BLUE BLUE BLUE" the more people should ask what the blue label really means and what it doesn't mean. And the more clear it is that you believe yourself that the market is going to crash and that the time is not far off, and that you're hoping to pump it to its limit and try to get out right before it bursts.

This kind of blows my mind as well, just can't fathom it. Those kind of books would have been no less than 3 times OSPG in 1995. Not just that, but they are frickin' cool!

So true, Steve - it's still hard to fathom as it goes against long-established actual sales data, and all conventional wisdom that was staked in concrete. Like the SA is now.

"We covet what we know" and most collectors don't "graduate" ( for lack of a better word) to older books like you, I, and others did when we got more and more into our hobby.

I'm different because after collecting GA for 3+ decades, I only recently got into SA (some say I "regressed", haha). Usually I see the opposite though, i.e., SA collectors getting exposed to GA and the 'coolness factor' can create an epiphany for them.

The thing is, a 9.0 GA (1940) book is - in effect - the equivalent of a 9.6/9.8 SA (1965) book. This may be hard for some collectors to understand and/or deal with.

It's kind of sad for some of us that not everyone appreciates the material...

Yes, it is sad - will regular GA one day become the equivalent of turn of the (20th) century baseball cards where no one has heard of (or cares about) the players (heroes)? Will a Hall of Fame individual (say Fred Clarke) lurk in relative obscurity like the Black Owl (even though drawn by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby) in the aforementioned issue of Prize Comics?

Will the SA follow GA trends as time marches on? Personally, I think that question is unanswerable at the moment.

You're not wrong about that.

Marshall will buoy, but Fender controls!

Gibson

I hope the market takes a sturdy downward trend. I miss collecting, and people are paying stoopid prices for average books. Reminds me of the housing market..

But I am sure Mitch will tell me about the rainbows and unicorns that are comics.

Let me make one thing clear. I would never sell pressed, trimmed or magic comics as unrestored.

If I was in charge of the cgc I would put tape , micro trimming , minor color touch in a purple label period. I would eliminate staple replacement as a restored condition as the staple has nothing to due with book itself. That would be my rule...

I do not make the rules.

I cannot agree as to DS conduct as described here, I would not do it, but the cgc seems to think it is within the rules......

Yes, it does. And that is one of the biggest reasons to worry about the values of comics crashing.

It does not take much information or comparison of graded books for people to see that the purple label is applied in ways that are inconsistent with common usage of words like "restoration" and inconsistent from book to book, and that the informationa and characterization of the label colors is manipulated in ways that are inconsistent with the philosphy of genuine, free of financial agenda disclosure, or fair market valuation sans insider manipulation.

But, when folks like you talk about it, the implication is that the solution would be not to correct those problems but to increase them. Basically, that the system should encourage people to buy any book which you sought, bought or sold, and that it should discourage people to buy anything that you, in particular, avoided for whatever reason.

You would put even books with tape in purple labels, because you avoided books with tape and you hate knowing that people don't mind buying books with tape if they are in blue labels. So, you want to change that.

You don't want pressed books in purple labels, however, regardless of how much the average person would call such a book restored (or, on the other hand, regardless of how much the average person wouldn't care), because you've got books that are pressed, and you know that people who accept them now won't accept them if you put them in the "unacceptable" label.

The more you shout "BLUE GOLD BLUE BLUE BLUE" the more people should ask what the blue label really means and what it doesn't mean. And the more clear it is that you believe yourself that the market is going to crash and that the time is not far off, and that you're hoping to pump it to its limit and try to get out right before it bursts.

Excellent response. I think if you

Press the book you alter it. The staple issues is a big one, keeping a rusty

Staple will damage the book yet to me a piece of metal is not in the book. You

Put tape on a book to fix or repair it that is my opinion.

Bc we have to deal in an imperfect world, but unrestored should mean just that, untouched. Blue is and will always be superior to purple and bc you just have to accept reality here.

Captain: no purple book is ever gonna hit 2 million dollars, the blue rules when it comes to the top prices and demand , that is not say action 1 would be a bad buy when it. Comes to blue vs purple labels, it is like talking about apples and oranges.

Bc after 50 years I am in for the long and you go sell and make the big bucks like dough, opps i mean doug ,I am here to stay

... the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.

lepers :gossip:

lol

... the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.

lol

lol

Oh man, part of me actually wants Mmehdy to keep posting ...

Thank you! I had no idea what the heck he was trying to say! lol

+1

I was wondering if leopards are somehow less desirable versions of tigers or something. Or if MM has leopard skin print toilet paper... lol

I do not make the rules.

Of course, there's a very simple solution to all of this. Just get rid of the stigmitizing PLOD entirely and put everything into a uni-colour slab with a formal 10-point restoration rating system based upon the type and extent of restoration done to the book. (thumbs u

On the other hand, I guess we could also expand the use of the PLOD to separate investment quality books from non-investment quality books. Any MA book, whether restored or unrestored would be given a PLOD if it graded less than 9.8. Likewise, any CA book that graded less than 9.6 would also be given a PLOD, and so on down the line. After all, we wouldn't want the poor collector to end up with a "piece of toilet paper book" when CGC should be telling us to stay away from these kind of books. lol

This would make it nice and simple for everybody since a numeric rating system results in total confusion in the marketplace and leaves the doors wide open for all of the scam artists to take advantage of collectors who apparently are sophisicated enough to only be able to differentiate between colour flash cards. :screwy:

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

Wow, that's material info for bidders.

Well this auction is going to fail then!

lol

Yeah that's one of the least intelligent statements I've read here in a while.

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

Wow, that's material info for bidders.

Well this auction is going to fail then!

Sure, you read it on CG. It must be true. :facepalm: Don't believe everything you read.