• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Hate to see the comics themselves, which for a decades long SA Marvel collector like myself are mind-boggling, get lost in the discussions around Doug.

Love having access to all the Heritage scans, which are the best in the business. It's especially appealing to get a look for the first time at Doug's run of JIM, most of which apparently came from a Canadian collection, for which the original owner only collected JIMs.

That is a misinformation regarding the JIMs. Doug Sulipa helped broker that deal between the owner and I believe Metropolis. Doug Sulipa told me the story so it didn't come second hand. The owner bought the books from an OO from the US in the 70s/80s. Sulipa didn't want me to post the OO's name because he is somewhat a founding member of comic fandom.

So Doug bought them from Metropolis? Where did the wrong info originate from, Doug or Metro?

Those Hulk books are incredible, as in appear to have been boarded and mylared right off the press (not pun intended). :cloud9:

I've no doubt that records will be broken in this auction as there's unlikely to ever be a future offering of such caliber for these titles...just wish the Hulk and Spidey runs were still around to appreciate. :(

Only if Brulato decides to cash out. Now THAT would be interesting. :popcorn:

I wonder if a couple of BSDs are going to step up and win significant portions of this collection, or if they'll just get spread around.

I wonder if a couple of BSDs are going to step up and win significant portions of this collection, or if they'll just get spread around.

I hope that large portions of those runs get to stay together...but I can't fathom the cost of doing so!

I hope that large portions of those runs get to stay together...but I can't fathom the cost of doing so!

It's interesting that you say that...I agree, and what I mentioned fascinated me most about this collection is seeing what implications it will have on the ultra high grade Marvel market in the months after the auction ends. That will certainly depend on how these books get absorbed.

Only if Brulato decides to cash out. Now THAT would be interesting. :popcorn:

That would be interesting, sonny boy!

Interesting to whom? What have you got, sonny?

It's interesting that you say that...I agree, and what I mentioned fascinated me most about this collection is seeing what implications it will have on the ultra high grade Marvel market in the months after the auction ends. That will certainly depend on how these books get absorbed.

I can see the appeal of buying up an entire run for someone who has the cash. I'd already mentioned it in this thread a few weeks ago and Cheetah confirmed that Metropolis brokered the sale of his entire Avengers collection in one fell swoop. That was no slouch of a collection as Cheetah went head to head against Doug many times while putting it together.

For someone with the cash to spare and not the time (and there are a few people like that), it's a cool piece of Americana to pick up in one fell swoop.

If it's absorbed by someone new (or new to comics) who wants a piece of the cultural pie it may just drive prices up over and beyond expectations and put people into a lather as underbidders who had built up their war chest for this auction continue to look for replacements.

If something like that happens, it would leave the market relatively untapped as far as $ goes.

A very interesting scenario with lots of possibilities.

Money laundering through comics. I'm coming around more to the idea every day.

I didn't even begin to entertain that scenario. I was thinking more about some rich Arab prince who thinks Jean Grey is hot.

I didn't even begin to entertain that scenario. I was thinking more about some rich Arab prince who thinks Jean Grey is hot.

I've said it as a joke a bunch of times. But if people keep spending millions of dollars on comic books, it gets less tinfoil-hatty. It reminds me of the way that Joe Pesci explains it in Lethal weapon II - You pay dirty cash to the auction houses for the books, then immediately relist them and get a nice clean check from a legit company.

I've said it as a joke a bunch of times. But if people keep spending millions of dollars on comic books, it gets less tinfoil-hatty. It reminds me of the way that Joe Pesci explains it in Lethal weapon II - You pay dirty cash to the auction houses for the books, then immediately relist them and get a nice clean check from a legit company.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if it isn't already happening. You can spend a mil easily just buying a bunch of high grade Marvels; you don't even have to touch the mega-keys.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if it isn't already happening. You can spend a mil easily just buying a bunch of high grade Marvels; you don't even have to touch the mega-keys.

If I needed to launder money, it's how I would do it. Or maybe coins to see if i could get the Coinees to start some WTF threads over there. Someone should hold a mirror up to the coinee board from time to time to see if it is breathing.

If I needed to launder money, it's how I would do it. Or maybe coins to see if i could get the Coinees to start some WTF threads over there. Someone should hold a mirror up to the coinee board from time to time to see if it is breathing.

We should organize coin forum raid. We'll get linguiniii involved.

I got some fresh lyrics

for you Toned Coin Collectors

Get ready for Linguiniii

And his Boned Loin Erectors

So hide your booty, coinees

And not them coins that you had

Watch your extra tight posteriors

And you best warn your dad.

How great would it be if he made another rap video to diss the coin forums.

Guess whose back?

Back again.

Linguini's back

Tell your friends...

CGC created a monster

cause nobody wants to see Jimmy no more

They want Linguini

I'm chopped liver..

:insane:

I got some fresh lyrics

Get ready for Linguiniii

Damn...you beat me to it. lol

I got some fresh lyrics

Get ready for Linguiniii

lol Now I have to compose something. Give me a few minutes.