• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicbook Guilty Pleasures!

66 posts in this topic

CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES...from the first one I bought, #34 off the

newsstand through #103 in 1949, I always enjoyed the humor of the character.

mm

I have stacks of Peanuts,Beetle Bailey,Sgt. Rock,Disney,Casper,tons of Dells and Gold Key comics from my childhood.I was lucky my mom never threw out my comics. :cloud9:

Same here, although not so many. The ones I still have were handed down to me from my big brothers. I know every pencil mark, crease, tear and missing piece on those books. When I look at them now, I can remember what I was doing when I read them as a kid. They are mostly worthless, yet priceless to me.

I feel the same way with mine. (thumbs u

And as for comics that have little value but are highly regarded, at least by me - Steve Gerber's Defenders. Not sure they're a guilty pleasure, but they are overwritten in a very ' 70s way.

Greatest comics ever.

And as for comics that have little value but are highly regarded, at least by me - Steve Gerber's Defenders. Not sure they're a guilty pleasure, but they are overwritten in a very ' 70s way.

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Absolutely. I grew up reading these and while Gerber was not to everyone's tastes I still believe the man was a genius.

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Absolutely. I grew up reading these and while Gerber was not to everyone's tastes I still believe the man was a genius.

His writing certainly had more impact than anyone else in that era.

As comic book enthusiasts we all have comics in our collection which have very little monetary value, but with which we have a soft spot for.

Even though to the naked eye their practically worthless you secretly hold them in high regard.

The comics in your collection which you couldn’t justify getting graded but privately wish you owned in a CGC 9.8, 9.9 or 10. A comic to be proud of and others impressed by.

Well this thread is to give those said comics a highlight and to finally get that guilty pleasure off your chest.

Go on tell/explain to the world of your COMICBOOK GUILTY PLEASURE!

Mine... Ash #1 from Event...

http://www.comicvine.com/ash-burn-baby-burn/37-107315/[/img]

I own quite a few books I cherish that others would say WTF?!?

But to answer your question, the only one I went ahead and submitted for grading was my Quantum & Woody Retailer Exclusive #1. I loved Q&W, and have the whole set, and this book is their 1st appearance. Top census, but also ONLY copy in the census. lol:insane:

You can buy all the issues in quarter bins... So it's definitely a guilty pleasure!

QuantumWoody1RPECGC98.jpg

More recently, I have the whole run of Spider Man 2099, and it's one of the few modern series that I haven't sold off. I really enjoyed the book when it came out, even though it will never have any monetary value.

This. I loved Spiderman 2099.

Another guilty pleasure of mine is the Gold Key Dark Shadows run. They are terrible. Terrible art. Terrible story. The family background is changed slightly from the television series. No reason to really appreciate it at all, but I love collecting them!

The odd Atlas Seaboard book...Targitt or Planet Of The Vampires. Combines nostalgia for books I remember reading in the early '70s with kitsch, as the books are generally terrible, distinguished by explicitly portrayed violence (at least compared to the output of the Big Two). Barely any titles got beyond issue 3, as the company just didn't have legs.

Mind you, The Grim Ghost wasn't bad and could've been a success at DC....

The Atlas books had the best cover copy. I don't even care that all the series took a hard left after a couple of months.

More recently, I have the whole run of Spider Man 2099, and it's one of the few modern series that I haven't sold off. I really enjoyed the book when it came out, even though it will never have any monetary value.

I have complete runs of Spider-Man 2099, X-Men 2099 and Doom 2099 and I love them all. Spider-Man 2099 is one of Peter David's best realized works, and I really wish John Francis Moore still wrote comics.