• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicbook Guilty Pleasures!

66 posts in this topic

The vast majority of my collection is worthless :shy:

But highly valuable. I was a comic collector for years, but it wasn't until I started reading comics published by companies like Fantagraphics that I became a comics creator myself. That's the irony, I guess, but it's led to a rewarding career.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm surprised to find somebody with your interests in a forum like this.

It reminds me of when I tried to get an old friend of mine to start reading comics whose stories had real merit, but he didn't like the idea of buying a comic that wasn't likely to hold its value or appreciate in value. Different kinds of mindsets.

Another irony is that, I would consider any super hero comics I might have as "guilty pleasures", which most "real" comic collectors would consider valid.

The vast majority of my collection is worthless :shy:

But highly valuable. I was a comic collector for years, but it wasn't until I started reading comics published by companies like Fantagraphics that I became a comics creator myself. That's the irony, I guess, but it's led to a rewarding career.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm surprised to find somebody with your interests in a forum like this.

It reminds me of when I tried to get an old friend of mine to start reading comics whose stories had real merit, but he didn't like the idea of buying a comic that wasn't likely to hold its value or appreciate in value. Different kinds of mindsets.

Another irony is that, I would consider any super hero comics I might have as "guilty pleasures", which most "real" comic collectors would consider valid.

Plenty of people here own / collect / enjoy titles by Fantagraphics / Drawn and Quarterly / Kitchen Sink / Rip Off Press etc. I myself have been collecting everything by (amongst others) Crumb / Matt / Seth / Brown / Bagge and of course Clowes for many years, and look forward to new work by such artists considerably more than the regular monthlies (which I only read a handful of these days).

This is primarily a forum about collecting (obviously) with the focus being on the mainstream. However it isn't that outlandish that one can collect rare or high grade CGC books and be into alternative comics (or any comics, for that matter) that are purchased purely for the love of the medium. In any case most of the books listed in this thread that are regarded as guilty pleasures have been super-hero titles.

You are correct in one way - there isn't enough emphasis regarding such work here. However no-one here would ever consider alternative comics to merely be a guilty pleasure (apart from when they have no artistic merit!).

I guess I was just pleasantly surprised, that's all, since I'd read so many posts where people enjoy reading super hero comics.

I actually think Daniel Clowes is something of a collector (Chris Ware knows far too much about the details of collecting to not be one). There's a documentary on Youtube about Clowes where he's showing a House of Mystery from what appears to be a large collection on shelves. He's remarking about a guy who's been found guilty by a courtroom full of giant insects and has been sentenced to death by bee firing squad. Now that's a guilty pleasure.

It's a shame that there doesn't appear to be anyone coming up to take over from some of these guys you mentioned who are now getting to be much older and slowing down. That was the point Gilbert Hernandez made when they relaunched Love and Rockets ...

:preach: Hiyo!

You got my interest...

The series I am going to show-off which is my most beloved favorite and I take so much care of it and pine almost every other night or nights I am not working a grind...

When I got this series when I was catching-up to the DC Universe during Countdown leading up to solicitations for Batman R.I.P.... at the time, people was down on Countdown, because of 52 story with Elongated-Man and Black Adam. So this series got sweep up in the down-drag and was mainly over-looked, but I saw it and got it for my love of Dr. Fate and old Eclipso books.

This series is just amazing and mind-blowingly deep... especially in-part to the Dr. Fate story within the series. It literally took everything from the past and panned through it all as a means to move-on, but not to forget or to re-set the origin, but evolve it from there and explain few of the past if there was any complaints. This was also the same for Eclipso-story and re-affirmed the origins, past, recent, and the relationships between Eclipso and the New Gods, The Spectre, and The Creeper! Honestly... I wished they confirmed this version of The Creeper, because I have and like the his origin and past, but just seemed to need a alignment-adjustment to the likes of Eclipso & The Spectre, and then New Gods; Grant Morrison could definitely do some wonder with Steve Gerber's perspective of The Creeper and Grant could put his genius-twist with the introspective-stories he does so well with characters and there past/history.

Final-issue is the epic-conclusion with three perspective out-comes, because of the pasting-away of this Steve Gerber before finishing, but his notes was used to finish... epic and mind-blowing; NEVER to be matched!

Here is the series closest to my heart...

scan0064.jpgscan0065.jpg

scan0066.jpgscan0067.jpg

scan0068.jpgscan0069.jpg

I have lots of books that you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands that are worthless monetarily.

This is the great moment from, "Throw Mama From the Train" when Devito finally shows Crystal his coin collection. Anyone that's seen the movie will immediately understand the analogy. These are the books we love, the reasons for collecting in the first place.

It's a shame that there doesn't appear to be anyone coming up to take over from some of these guys you mentioned who are now getting to be much older and slowing down. That was the point Gilbert Hernandez made when they relaunched Love and Rockets ...

Thankfully, there are some guys like Dylan Horrocks, Rich Tommaso, Adrian Tomine, Peter Hornschemeier, Jonathan Bennett, Kurt Wolfgang, R. Kikuo Johnson and my personal favorite from the newer generation, Kevin Huizenga.

And as for comics that have little value but are highly regarded, at least by me - Steve Gerber's Defenders. Not sure they're a guilty pleasure, but they are overwritten in a very ' 70s way.

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Absolutely. I grew up reading these and while Gerber was not to everyone's tastes I still believe the man was a genius.

His writing certainly had more impact than anyone else in that era.

:preach: Hiyo!

I am definitely willing to be the third to move the motion declaring Steve Gerber a genuis!

P.S.

Elites of elite... the greatest of the great, the all-time of the all-time!

Jack Kirby

Alan Moore

Grant Morrison

Steve Gerber

Frank Millar

Marv Wolfman

Brad Meitzer

... in this order!

I have lots of books that you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands that are worthless monetarily.

Books that mean so much to you that it doesn't matter in the slightest that you know others will consider them trivial or even a bit embarrassing. Simply couldn't care less. Nothing to actually feel guilty about. (thumbs u

Books that mean so much to you that it doesn't matter in the slightest that you know others will consider them trivial or even a bit embarrassing. Simply couldn't care less. Nothing to actually feel guilty about. (thumbs u

:cloud9: A Boy and His 'Bot #1

Never heard of that one.  I can only find the cover, looks a bit like The Iron Giant.

I like so much junk:

92/93 image books :cloud9:

Especially incentive and newstand variants!! :insane:

scan0319.jpg

scan0159.jpg

scan0257.jpg

and copper marvel reprints :cloud9:

scan0325.jpg

scan0261.jpg

and 70s hulk reprints :cloud9:

scan0095-1.jpg

And as for comics that have little value but are highly regarded, at least by me - Steve Gerber's Defenders. Not sure they're a guilty pleasure, but they are overwritten in a very ' 70s way.

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Absolutely. I grew up reading these and while Gerber was not to everyone's tastes I still believe the man was a genius.

Always thought Gerber's work on Defenders and Howard the Duck was excellent.  I remember his Headmen story arc well -  as a kid it was quite a jolt to read that in the middle of a pile of typical, bland super-hero books. 

Bizarre, inventive, funny - he was a great writer. :)

Greatest comics ever.

You mean that?

Always thought Gerber's work on Defenders and Howard the Duck was excellent.  I remember his Headmen story arc well -  as a kid it was quite a jolt to read that in the middle of a pile of typical, bland super-hero books. 

Bizarre, inventive, funny - he was a great writer. :)

Absolutely.

A friend of mine ( a pro letterer, BTW ) had our little comic gang over to his house to see his hoard, and he showed us an OA page from Defenders #32.

It was the last page, where Ruby blows up her head and floors The Defenders. It mentions Bambi and Chondu. Wheel house stuff.

I made such a big deal about how much I liked it and how well I remembered it that my friend GAVE ME THE PAGE.

No, it's not for sale.

Ever.

A friend of mine ( a pro letterer, BTW ) had our little comic gang over to his house to see his hoard, and he showed us an OA page from Defenders #32.

It was the last page, where Ruby blows up her head and floors The Defenders. It mentions Bambi and Chondu. Wheel house stuff.

I made such a big deal about how much I liked it and how well I remembered it that my friend GAVE ME THE PAGE.

No, it's not for sale.

Ever.

:applause: Let's see it though.