• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOS #92 CGC 9.6 $8,250.00

129 posts in this topic

Don't think this book is underrated either...key book, black cover, and being part of a tough run to find in nice shape gives it a little bit of demand along with the scarcity factor. Can you imagine if one of the other 15-cent HoS, HoM, etc.,. suddenly became a key book with similar demand and everyone wanted HoS 90 or 91 for instance?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Alas, being one of the top 2 or 3 most valuable bronze age books for years and years has put a lot of copies in circulation...not 9.6 copies though! 893whatthe.gif

Can you imagine if one of the other 15-cent HoS, HoM, etc.,. suddenly became a key book with similar demand and everyone wanted HoS 90 or 91 for instance?

that would be a bloodbath nightmare!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

actually i don't think its overrated. Its really the only DC character introduction between the SA and new teen titans to have any impact on popular culture whatsoever.

Well, then my damn Chamber of Darkness #4 should be $4,000 too, because it's a "Conan" tryout issue foreheadslap.gif Conan is way more cooler than Swampie tongue.gif

Bah...you only have a 9.4! foreheadslap.gif

Maybe I'm hoarding a 9.6.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Anyway, just kidding. Just don't see the allure of Swampie myself. Just my humble opinion.

Can you imagine if one of the other 15-cent HoS, HoM, etc.,. suddenly became a key book with similar demand and everyone wanted HoS 90 or 91 for instance?

that would be a bloodbath nightmare!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Come one, Come all...Sterling's bloodbath nightmare is just about to start tongue.gif

Conan is way more cooler than Swampie

Blasphemer! mad.gif

Swamp Thing is one of the best characters that DC has to offer (thanks to Alan Moore). Plus, it was in his series that we got introduced to John Constantine (the coolest character in the DC universe!).

Conan is way more cooler than Swampie

Blasphemer! mad.gif

Swamp Thing is one of the best characters that DC has to offer (thanks to Alan Moore). Plus, it was in his series that we got introduced to John Constantine (the coolest character in the DC universe!).

Actually, Man-Thing is cooler than Swamp Thing tongue.gif Actually, my Venus Flytrap is more interesting...

Just pulling 'ya chain. I highly respect the character/series, just not the price of the book.

Sure, but I really think HOS 92 could be susceptible to future trend shifts, and could go the way of other Try-Out books that do not feature the same character as the main series.

Swamp Thing #1's prices have gone up substantially, and that is the character's true first appearance.

Sure, but I really think HOS 92 could be susceptible to future trend shifts, and could go the way of other Try-Out books that do not feature the same character as the main series.

Swamp Thing #1's prices have gone up substantially, and that is the character's true first appearance.

Interesting point. CGC label on HOS#92 states "First App. Swamp Thing", and nothing else. I don't have a Swamp Thing #1. What does the label say? Is this the 1st origin? When is the first mention of Alec Holland? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting point. CGC label on HOS#92 states "First App. Swamp Thing", and nothing else. I don't have a Swamp Thing #1. What does the label say? Is this the 1st origin? When is the first mention of Alec Holland? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overstreet is wrong. The Swamp Thing we know and love first appeared in Swamp Thing #1.

*A* swamp thing appeared in HOS 92 (as similar characters did in other DC books) but due to the error in OS, this fact has been lost in the annals of time...

Overstreet is wrong. The Swamp Thing we know and love first appeared in Swamp Thing #1.

*A* swamp thing appeared in HOS 92 (as similar characters did in other DC books) but due to the error in OS, this fact has been lost in the annals of time...

Do you think HOS#92 should be corrected to say "Swamp Thing Prototype"?

I'd like to hear what others have to say on this, as I think you may have a valid arguement.

There is no Alec Holland Swamp Thing, just a Swamp Thing that thought it was Alec Holland. The Swamp Thing in hos92 thought it was some other guy (who's name I cant remember off the top of my head). Since there is only one ST at a time and a ST can recreate itself from the earth (therefore placing no real value on the physical incarnation of the ST), wouldnt it be logical to assume that it's really the same being recreated by the earth time and again? Kinda like reincarnation.

I think this book is the 1st appearance of Swamp Thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

There is no Alec Holland Swamp Thing, just a Swamp Thing that thought it was Alec Holland. The Swamp Thing in hos92 thought it was some other guy (who's name I cant remember off the top of my head). Since there is only one ST at a time and a ST can recreate itself from the earth (therefore placing no real value on the physical incarnation of the ST), wouldnt it be logical to assume that it's really the same being recreated by the earth time and again? Kinda like reincarnation.

I think this book is the 1st appearance of Swamp Thing. confused-smiley-013.gif

Another good point. And, I actually fall closer to this arguement as well.

You're right about the ST/Alec Holland issue as well, although for the purposes of this discussion, I was using pre-"Anatomy Lesson" continuity.

What are you gibbering about?

Swamp Thing as featured in the long-running series, regardless of current continuity, was created from Alec Holland, and was NEVER the guy in HOS 92. You can go all drooling fanboy on me, and quote Alan Moore and other "force of nature" 1980-present retcons, but it's obvious that upon publication, HOS 92 was a test issue, and when the concept was adopted, the *real* Swamp Thing was born, starting with Alec Holland.

It is no different than the myriad Marvel and DC try-out books of the era, except for some reason, Overstreet made an error early on (probably had no idea how it would impact future value) and has never corrected it.

Do you think HOS#92 should be corrected to say "Swamp Thing Prototype"?

Of course, and believe me, I'm not the only one who sees this. Overstreet used to get tons of letters from irate fans, asking why Bob had not changed the notation yet.

I'm not sure if he ever promised to do so, but I believe there was an OS letter reply that agreed with the "prototype" argument, but I think like everything else, it comes down to $$$ and maybe he was worried to tick off various dealers holding copies.

What are you gibbering about?

Swamp Thing as featured in the long-running series, regardless of current continuity, was created from Alec Holland, and was NEVER the guy in HOS 92. You can go all drooling fanboy on me, and quote Alan Moore and other "force of nature" 1980-present retcons, but it's obvious that upon publication, HOS 92 was a test issue, and when the concept was adopted, the *real* Swamp Thing was born, starting with Alec Holland.

It is no different than the myriad Marvel and DC try-out books of the era, except for some reason, Overstreet made an error early on (probably had no idea how it would impact future value) and has never corrected it.

You're an excitable little fellow arent you?

I never even mentioned Alan Moore in my post, so explain how I'm a drooling fanboy please. confused-smiley-013.gif

I simply stated the current DC continuity of the character. So my arguement is based on a retcon. Who cares? So is yours. I think DC continuity is slightly more important in determining the standing of this book as a first appearance than what Bernie and Len *MIGHT* have been thinking when they first created the character.

I simply stated the current DC continuity of the character. So my arguement is based on a retcon. Who cares? So is yours.

How so?

Take HOS 92 and the 1970's run of Swamp Thing, read them, and then comment with a bit more intelligence. 893frustrated.gif