• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chamber of Chills 19

100 posts in this topic

That is awesome.

Can I ask how you do this? Materials used etc?

I used to draw when I was in my teens, mainly Batman stuff. Although I cannot create anything from my own mind, I was rather good at having a piece of comicana next to me and be able to copy it, not trace, copy by freehand and looking.

How do you go about these recreations?

That is awesome.

I used to draw when I was in my teens, mainly Batman stuff. Although I cannot create anything from my own mind, I was rather good at having a piece of comicana next to me and be able to copy it, not trace, copy by freehand and looking.

Thank you very much.

I use Derwent Graphic pencils (usually an F, H or HB), Sharpie, Prismacolor and copic pens, and Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper.

I print the picture out backwards, Trace the general outline and text of the cover to get proportions and placement right. I transfer the traced outline onto the bristol paper and draw in the rest. After it's all sketched out i ink and color it.

Like you, i drew alot when i was in my teens too but took about a 5 year break for some reason. I probably did like 1 drawing a year in that break. But it takes alot of practice to be able to draw something like that just from your mind. Hours and hours everyday of just drawing will get you there. Doing these covers are helping me perfect my drawing skills to where one day i'll hopefully be able to just draw something like that out of my mind.

You should start drawing again too (if you arn't). Art is good for the soul. It helps clear your mind

WOW!!! That is awesome (worship)

That is an INSANE amount of detail you did on that one! And to think i was worried about you having to draw a bunch of little ants on mine :blush:

Here's the last two covers I've completed. Thanks for looking!! Hope you guys/gals like them.

Silver Surfer 4

IMG_9173.jpg

Daredevil 1

IMG_1987.jpg

These are fantastic, you are so talented. (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

WOW!!! That is awesome (worship)

That is an INSANE amount of detail you did on that one! And to think i was worried about you having to draw a bunch of little ants on mine :blush:

HAHA! Yea, those ants will be a piece of cake after this one.

These are fantastic, you are so talented. (worship)(worship)(worship)(worship)

Thank you very much!

That is looking great, Austin and I can't wait until this one is finished up!

I'll finally have a Fantastic 3! lol

You know, what's pretty amazing is just how much detail is revealed in that black and white piece that gets obscured a bit in the final product.

A LOT of tedious line work, for sure!

That is looking great, Austin and I can't wait until this one is finished up!

I'll finally have a Fantastic 3! lol

You know, what's pretty amazing is just how much detail is revealed in that black and white piece that gets obscured a bit in the final product.

A LOT of tedious line work, for sure!

Thank you very much. It definitely does get obscured. I have even more respect for Mr Fine because he was cranking out 3 to 4 of these a month.

And definitely tons of tedious line work, but it's been fun working on this piece. Can't wait to get it finished.

That is awesome.

Thank you very much.

I use Derwent Graphic pencils (usually an F, H or HB), Sharpie, Prismacolor and copic pens, and Strathmore Bristol Smooth paper.

I print the picture out backwards, Trace the general outline and text of the cover to get proportions and placement right. I transfer the traced outline onto the bristol paper and draw in the rest. After it's all sketched out i ink and color it.

Like you, i drew alot when i was in my teens too but took about a 5 year break for some reason. I probably did like 1 drawing a year in that break. But it takes alot of practice to be able to draw something like that just from your mind. Hours and hours everyday of just drawing will get you there. Doing these covers are helping me perfect my drawing skills to where one day i'll hopefully be able to just draw something like that out of my mind.

You should start drawing again too (if you arn't). Art is good for the soul. It helps clear your mind

You know what, I'm going to town today to get some supplies and I'll give it a go on the weekend, see what I can do.

You've inspired me! (thumbs u

Awesome. I'm happy to hear that!

Definately going to need some work! I spent half hour sketching the cover to Batman #4, wow... really bad. lol

You gotta start somewhere. Whatever parts you are unhappy with, spend an hour or so practicing just that. For example, if you hate the way your hands or feet are looking, spend some time drawing hands and feet. Don't get discouraged.

Wow! These look amazing. Can I ask what is used to color the drawings?

Thank you very much. I use Prismacolor, Copic and Sharpie markers/ pens to color them.

I need to use a "fine" pencil to do the sketching.

I did a second attempt, a Tec cover McFarlane year 2 story, did this with an artist pen, freehand. Much better.

Will try to post a pic later for your opinion.

Here's the last two covers I've completed. Thanks for looking!! Hope you guys/gals like them.

Silver Surfer 4

IMG_9173.jpg

Daredevil 1

IMG_1987.jpg

Fantastic stuff. :applause: Beautiful work. :headbang:

I especially like the Daredevil cover, but they are both GREAT.

(Have not visited Comics General too often recently, but that will change!)

I need to use a "fine" pencil to do the sketching.

I did a second attempt, a Tec cover McFarlane year 2 story, did this with an artist pen, freehand. Much better.

Will try to post a pic later for your opinion.

Yea, i'd love to see it.

Silver Surfer 4

IMG_9173.jpg

Daredevil 1

IMG_1987.jpg

Fantastic stuff. :applause: Beautiful work. :headbang:

I especially like the Daredevil cover, but they are both GREAT.

(Have not visited Comics General too often recently, but that will change!)

Thanks tundra guy!!

I absolutey love it and can't wait to get this so I can put it up!!!

As I mentioned to Austin, I like how he went with a softer palette which frees up the line work and enables the viewer to get a better appreciation of Lou Fine's draughtmanship!

Thank you Austin and job VERY well done!

:applause:

I absolutey love it and can't wait to get this so I can put it up!!!

As I mentioned to Austin, I like how he went with a softer palette which frees up the line work and enables the viewer to get a better appreciation of Lou Fine's draughtmanship!

Thank you Austin and job VERY well done!

:applause:

Thank you very much. I am so glad you like it. Youre going to like it even more in person. the colors look so much better in person.

The Fantastic Comics cover recreation is sensational!!! Well done

One of my favourite covers of all time. Would give anything to have a copy of this book, even in 2.0 (worship)

Wow, ive never gotten sensational before. Thank you!!

I wouldn't mind having this book in a .05 (As long as the cover is still there)