• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chamber of Chills 19

100 posts in this topic

That is freaking awesome!!! (worship)

For all of our sakes though, i hope your wrist cramps dont have anything to do with drawing the tent it looks like samson is starting to pitch!!! :o

You will LOVE his work hibou so have a frame all set and ready to go! I could not possibly be happier with my Avengers 57 cover that he did for me :cloud9:

That is freaking awesome!!! (worship)

For all of our sakes though, i hope your wrist cramps dont have anything to do with drawing the tent it looks like samson is starting to pitch!!! :o

You will LOVE his work hibou so have a frame all set and ready to go! I could not possibly be happier with my Avengers 57 cover that he did for me :cloud9:

lol No, definately not. Not this time anyways.

Thank you!

Austin, some really beautiful recreations. Your lettering style is a bit different, but I think it adds a certain distinctiveness to your efforts. Again, very well done!

Thank you!

I don't think my lettering is different, i think it needs improvement. hah. I have the hand writing of a 10 year old.

I need to use a "fine" pencil to do the sketching.

I did a second attempt, a Tec cover McFarlane year 2 story, did this with an artist pen, freehand. Much better.

Will try to post a pic later for your opinion.

Yea, i'd love to see it.

Having trouble getting to the site I use to upload photos but will do something tonight.

I've done 4 cover recreations now, the last 2 aren't too bad.

The technique I use is to do everything freehand in light pencil and go over everything with a fine artists pen. I haven't done any colouring so everything is shaded and coloured black where neccessary.

Problems I've found, faces are troublesome for me, also proportions and sizing. I have to take a "artisitc license" when I realise certain things don't size up right which you'll see in the Superman #208 cover I've done.

End of the day, I'm really enjoying this so thank you again for the inspiration :)

:applause: :applause: Great work Austin! Looks like fun, I use to draw a bunch up through junior high and then I got into guitar playing and girls! I think I might just try and pick up the pencil again......I have a lot of free time on my hands being unemployeed at the moment. Again, nice work.

Having trouble getting to the site I use to upload photos but will do something tonight.

I've done 4 cover recreations now, the last 2 aren't too bad.

The technique I use is to do everything freehand in light pencil and go over everything with a fine artists pen. I haven't done any colouring so everything is shaded and coloured black where neccessary.

Problems I've found, faces are troublesome for me, also proportions and sizing. I have to take a "artisitc license" when I realise certain things don't size up right which you'll see in the Superman #208 cover I've done.

End of the day, I'm really enjoying this so thank you again for the inspiration :)

Awesome, I can't wait to see them. You have the same problem as I always had. Sizes, proportions and faces. Is there a Michaels store around you? I can recommend a couple books that are helpful.

Thanks hammerhead. Im in the same boat as you (unemployed) and this definitely helps pass the time and keeps your mind sharp.

Austin, you’re making me think about picking up some painting tools and experimenting with certain cover redesigns.

Although I prefer reinterpretations, taken from a different angle, etc… :)

Do it.

Austin inspired me to go back to it after 17 years and I'm really enjoying it. (thumbs u

Thanks, Bane.

I need to find a war-themed golden age cover to inspire me, it should have certain characteristics. I don’t like literary interpretations, unless of course they are done mostly for fun.

I prefer when the cover composition is rearranged, or reinterpreted in a different style, a

Since this can alter a lot the original atmosphere intended, to me it becomes a sort of "artistic commentary" on the scene itself, which adds to the original rather than merely recreating it. I have to think about it… :)

lol now your talking art which is above my head!

I'm looking at doing cover mashups, currently working on Hulk #181 (1st appearance of the Batman :) ) in my version at least.

I'm not creative one bit, I can just copy what I see, thats my limit!

Copying is step one in learning to draw, so you are on a good path.

I have looked at your b&w drawings; I would just recommend to experiment more and more with pencil before inking them. By doing this, you’ll get a sense of the tridimensionality of things, and start to understand how shadows work.

For me, I was specifically thinking about some Charles Biro work, either Corporal Collins or Daredevil.

I am italian but I have become very acquainted with golden age titles recently, and they are awesome. ;)

These are simply amazing!

I can appreciate this kind of art work. I too use to draw a lot in my early years. Went through a phase drawing my own comics so I can relate to this. Your recreations are spot on. Nice work. And someday you will probably be creating your own original work. You will have to show us when you get to that. I'll be checking to see what other covers you post. All of them look great.

Copying is step one in learning to draw, so you are on a good path.

I have looked at your b&w drawings; I would just recommend to experiment more and more with pencil before inking them. By doing this, you’ll get a sense of the tridimensionality of things, and start to understand how shadows work.

For me, I was specifically thinking about some Charles Biro work, either Corporal Collins or Daredevil.

I am italian but I have become very acquainted with golden age titles recently, and they are awesome. ;)

I do think I'm getting better with each piece and actually having the right materials helps. I think you learn something new from each one you do.

The Hulk #181 my main lettering is better as I tried a different approach getting it right so there is another lesson learned.

Awesome covers Austin (worship)

I finished sketching the Hulk last night, your proportions are perfect compared to mine!

Wow Austin...you appear to be improving with every new piece I see, which is rather amazing considering the quality you were putting out before was already VERY high!

Thank you guys very much.